It begins as an assignment for English class: Write a letter to a dead person. Laurel chooses Kurt Cobain because her sister, May, loved him. And he died young, just like May did. Soon, Laurel has a notebook full of letters to people like Janis Joplin, Amy Winehouse, Amelia Earhart, Heath Ledger, and more; though she never gives a single one of them to her teacher. She writes about starting high school, navigating new friendships, falling in love for the first time, learning to live with her splintering family. And, finally, about the abuse she suffered while May was supposed to be looking out for her. Only then, once Laurel has written down the truth about what happened to herself, can she truly begin to accept what happened to May. And only when Laurel has begun to see her sister as the person she was; lovely and amazing and deeply flawed; can she begin to discover her own path.
When Laurel must write a love letter to a dead person, she chooses Kurt Cobain. Readers will love her choice of people to write to and find many of them familiar. May, Laurel's sister, passed away right before this novel took place. To me, if felt like Laurel was either writing to or asking for advice from these people because of May. With these letters, Laurel finds the courage to write down her true feelings about what happened and some of the bad things May did. It will likely break the reader's heart when he/she finds out about how and why May died; this book feels realistic.
Laurel's character felt like an old friend by the time I finished this book. I felt like I really knew her well. She was very honest in her thoughts in the letters and opens up more as the book wears on. The details and well-written structure of her letters made this book easy to finish in one day. The letters were not disjointed or hard to follow. I loved that the ending of the book did not feel like an ending, but a continuation. Overall, this book is recommended to young adult/teen readers.
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (372)
- ► 2015 (312)
- Essence: Promo and Giveaway!
- 250+ Book Giveaway Introduction
- Ekho: Promo and Giveaway!
- The Freedman and the Pharoah's Staff: Promo and Gi...
- Ever Hopeful: Excerpt and Giveaway!
- Into the Darkness: Promo and Giveaway!
- Historical Heartthrobs by Kelly Murphy and Hallie ...
- Mooncalf: Promo and Giveaway!
- Romancing the Duke: Promo and Giveaway!
- Sun & Moon: Promo and Giveaway!
- Faithful Fit & Fabulous Blog Tour: Promo and Givea...
- Indie Author: Promo and Giveaway!
- Going Rogue by Robin Benway
- Blood and Gold: Excerpt and Giveaway!
- The Twelfth Night: Guest Post and Giveaway!
- Love Spell: Spotlight and Giveaway!
- Rubber Soul: Promo and Giveaway!
- Into the Still Blue by Veronica Rossi
- Come Alive: Mercy River-Promo and Giveaway!
- Get Witch Song Free!
- Top Tens List by Cami Checketts! (GIVEAWAY)
- Echo by Alicia Wright Brewster
- Realizing You: Promo and Giveaway!
- No Strings Attached Giveaway Hop!
- Faking Normal by Courtney C. Stevens
- Maybe One Day by Melissa Kantor
- Ebook Deals from Kensington!
- Plus One by Elizabeth Fama
- Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira
- The Rule of Three by Eric Walters
- Rotten Ralph's Rotten Family
- White Space by Ilsa J Bick
- Bloodmark by Aurora Whittet
- One More Present Giveaway!
- Faeries & Fantasy Giveaway Hop!
- Dragonwitch by Anne Elisabeth Stengl
- The Mist in the Mirror by Susan Hill
- Overzealous by Gregory Nicholas Malouf
- Daughter of Jerusalem by Joan Wolf
- Picture Me Gone by Meg Rosoff
- A Marriage in Middlebury by Anita Higman
- The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski
- Perfect Lies by Kiersten White
- Sekret by Lindsay Smith
- The Dollhouse Asylum by Mary Gray
- Can You Attend Any of These Avon Meet-Ups?
- Check out the Copernicus Legacy!
- Uninvited by Sophie Jordan
- Exclusive Video of the Impossible Knife of Memory!...
- Fatal Trust: Promo and Giveaway!
- Soul Slam: Blast and Giveaway!
- Guest Post by Laurie Crompton!
- Interview With Ilsa J Bick!
- Clear Your Shelf Giveaway Hop!
- Infinite by Jodi Meadows
- Firmoo Review
- The Scandal In Kissing an Heir: Giveaway!
- Awesome 2013 Book Trailers!
- Great Ebooks for 99 Cents!
- The Lair by Emily McKay
- How To Be Alone by Andrea Dorfman/Tanya Davis
- A Whisper in Time Cover Reveal!
- The Christmas Town by Elyse Douglas
- Deceiving Lies Cover Reveal!
- ▼ January (64)
- ► 2013 (530)
- ► 2012 (818)