Sekret by Lindsay Smith
Posted by Krystal Larson at 9:01 PM Saturday, January 11, 2014
From debut author Lindsay Smith comes an espionage thriller with a dash of both history and dystopia.
Yulia’s father always taught her that an empty mind is a safe mind. She has to hide her thoughts and control her emotions to survive in Communist Russia, especially because she seems to be able to read the minds of the people she touches. When she’s captured by the KGB and forced to work as a psychic spy with a mission to undermine the U.S. space program, she’s thrust into a world of suspicion, deceit, and horrifying power where she can trust no one.
She certainly can’t trust Rostov, the cruel KGB operative running the psychic program. Or handsome Sergei who encourages her to cooperate with the KGB. Or brooding Valentin who tells her to rebel against them. And not the CIA, who have a psychic so powerful he can erase a person’s mind with his own thoughts. Yulia quickly learns she must rely on her own wits and power to survive in this world where no SEKRET can stay hidden for long.
I have always been fascinated by communist Russia. I love how the author spent time detailing little things here and there to add to the overall plot of the book. I found Yulia's entire character well-developed and made to please. I loved how she cared so much for her family that she would do literally anything for them. Yulia's father told her to keep an empty mind prior to disappearing and she has done her best to hide her gift from anyone. Unfortunately, nothing stays hidden forever and Yulia is captured by the KGB. The focus of the book is around the U.S. space program; I found the whole plot amazingly cool.
Yulia's character was easy to root for. She was the clear "good guy" in a murky situation. Should you love your country above all? Is an empty mind "best?" How would you react if your family was being used to manipulate you? These interesting questions need to be held in mind while reading this creative novel. Overall, this book is highly recommended to young adult/teen readers.
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (372)
- ► 2015 (312)
- Essence: Promo and Giveaway!
- 250+ Book Giveaway Introduction
- Ekho: Promo and Giveaway!
- The Freedman and the Pharoah's Staff: Promo and Gi...
- Ever Hopeful: Excerpt and Giveaway!
- Into the Darkness: Promo and Giveaway!
- Historical Heartthrobs by Kelly Murphy and Hallie ...
- Mooncalf: Promo and Giveaway!
- Romancing the Duke: Promo and Giveaway!
- Sun & Moon: Promo and Giveaway!
- Faithful Fit & Fabulous Blog Tour: Promo and Givea...
- Indie Author: Promo and Giveaway!
- Going Rogue by Robin Benway
- Blood and Gold: Excerpt and Giveaway!
- The Twelfth Night: Guest Post and Giveaway!
- Love Spell: Spotlight and Giveaway!
- Rubber Soul: Promo and Giveaway!
- Into the Still Blue by Veronica Rossi
- Come Alive: Mercy River-Promo and Giveaway!
- Get Witch Song Free!
- Top Tens List by Cami Checketts! (GIVEAWAY)
- Echo by Alicia Wright Brewster
- Realizing You: Promo and Giveaway!
- No Strings Attached Giveaway Hop!
- Faking Normal by Courtney C. Stevens
- Maybe One Day by Melissa Kantor
- Ebook Deals from Kensington!
- Plus One by Elizabeth Fama
- Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira
- The Rule of Three by Eric Walters
- Rotten Ralph's Rotten Family
- White Space by Ilsa J Bick
- Bloodmark by Aurora Whittet
- One More Present Giveaway!
- Faeries & Fantasy Giveaway Hop!
- Dragonwitch by Anne Elisabeth Stengl
- The Mist in the Mirror by Susan Hill
- Overzealous by Gregory Nicholas Malouf
- Daughter of Jerusalem by Joan Wolf
- Picture Me Gone by Meg Rosoff
- A Marriage in Middlebury by Anita Higman
- The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski
- Perfect Lies by Kiersten White
- Sekret by Lindsay Smith
- The Dollhouse Asylum by Mary Gray
- Can You Attend Any of These Avon Meet-Ups?
- Check out the Copernicus Legacy!
- Uninvited by Sophie Jordan
- Exclusive Video of the Impossible Knife of Memory!...
- Fatal Trust: Promo and Giveaway!
- Soul Slam: Blast and Giveaway!
- Guest Post by Laurie Crompton!
- Interview With Ilsa J Bick!
- Clear Your Shelf Giveaway Hop!
- Infinite by Jodi Meadows
- Firmoo Review
- The Scandal In Kissing an Heir: Giveaway!
- Awesome 2013 Book Trailers!
- Great Ebooks for 99 Cents!
- The Lair by Emily McKay
- How To Be Alone by Andrea Dorfman/Tanya Davis
- A Whisper in Time Cover Reveal!
- The Christmas Town by Elyse Douglas
- Deceiving Lies Cover Reveal!
- ▼ January (64)
- ► 2013 (530)
- ► 2012 (818)