Search This Blog

Midnight City by: J. Barton Mitchell

Sunday, January 20, 2013


Lord of the Flies meets War of the Worlds in J. Barton Mitchell's alien-invaded post-apocalyptic world where two teens and a young girl with amazing powers must stop the aliens’ mysterious plan

Earth has been conquered by an alien race known as the Assembly. The human adult population is gone, having succumbed to the Tone---a powerful, telepathic super-signal broadcast across the planet that reduces them to a state of complete subservience. But the Tone has one critical flaw. It only affects the population once they reach their early twenties, which means that there is one group left to resist: Children.

Holt Hawkins is a bounty hunter, and his current target is Mira Toombs, an infamous treasure seeker with a price on her head. It’s not long before Holt bags his prey, but their instant connection isn’t something he bargained for. Neither is the Assembly ship that crash-lands near them shortly after. Venturing inside, Holt finds a young girl who remembers nothing except her name: Zoey.

As the three make their way to the cavernous metropolis of Midnight City, they encounter young freedom fighters, mutants, otherworldly artifacts, pirates, feuding alien armies, and the amazing powers that Zoey is beginning to exhibit. Powers that suggest she, as impossible as it seems, may just be the key to stopping the Assembly once and for all. 

Midnight City is the breathtaking first book of the Conquered Earth series.

Goodreads Summary


Alien books aren’t my thing, but Midnight City is definitely an exception. Right from the first page, there was action! You feel pulled in and forget everything around you. Every page was addicting, I never felt bored or skimmed. The characters were very nice to read. All three of the main characters had something to offer, and I wanted to get to know them inside and out. I felt like Mitchell really wanted us to relate to the characters, and it worked on me. These are the type of books I like. When it comes to the romance it isn’t fast, and they aren’t attracted to each other right off the bat. I’m a romance reader; so insta-love is common to me, but when reading the characters I felt like it was a nice break. There’s no sexual tension throughout the book at all; it’s a serious relationship growing like normal. Insta-love isn’t normal… as much as that bothers me (Seriously, I just want a hot guy to fall in love with me at first sight - is that too much to ask?).

The pacing, as I said, was nice and fast. It didn’t get confusing at all; it was written very well. While looking at other Goodreads’ reviews, I have to agree with some of them. The ending felt a little rushed. I had many questions left unanswered, and it bothered me to wait till the next book. I know many authors do this, but it still irritates me. Waiting isn’t my thing. But I need to suck it up and wait for the second; and when it comes out, I’ll try to be the first person to grab that ARC.

5/5 stars

*Reviewed by Rachel*


Find this book:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository




This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

3 comments:

  1. Daniela said...:

    This sounds so good! I'm not an alien-book person either, but I can't let this one go by. Sounds amazing!! :D

  1. LOL. No, that's not too much to ask. I honestly get really sad that sometimes when I come back to reality and realize that fiction love is not normal. However, I do sometimes need a break in the monotony of insta-love, so this sounds like a good read. Not to mention aliens ARE my thing.

  1. Cliffhangers tick me off, too! Seriously! So knowing that there is one here, I think I may be waiting for the other books to hit stands. But other than that, this sounds really good. I have been interested in it since I first heard of it, and now even more so. Thanks for the review!