Search This Blog

Innocent Darkness by: Suzanne Lazear

Sunday, January 20, 2013



Wish. Love. Desire. Live.

Sixteen-year-old Noli Braddock's hoyden ways land her in an abusive reform school far from home. On mid-summer's eve she wishes to be anyplace but that dreadful school. A mysterious man from the Realm of Faerie rescues her and brings her to the Otherworld, only to reveal that she must be sacrificed, otherwise, the entire Otherworld civilization will perish.

Goodreads Summary



What first got me interested was the cover. The girl is cute: love her outfit, and all around Steampunk. Then I started the book…

Let’s start with the good: It was a very nice plotline.

Alright, now with the not-so-good: The character depth for me wasn’t there, and that is a problem for me. There was no chemistry between them; I felt like it was very put together in a copy and paste way. The plot sometimes confused me. When I thought it would go one way, it would go the other… not as in “I don’t know what will happen next” (which I didn’t) but more of a “where did that come from and why?” - without an explanation of why. I just didn’t fall in love with this one. Again, the story itself was great; it just wasn’t portrayed in a way that I like. There wasn’t a huge “wow” factor, and I never connected with any characters. It’s not very Steampunk as I first thought. It’s more of a mixture of lots of elements that kind of resemble that genre. The only reason why I’d pick up the next book is to continue the story, but I’ll definitely be skimming.


3/5 stars

*Reviewed by Rachel*


Find this book:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository



This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

5 comments:

  1. I completely agree. I hated this book; I got an arc of it, one of my first, and was so disappointed.

  1. Heather said...:

    Regardless of what'\s inside, it is a book I pickup to browse due to the cool cover.

  1. Unknown said...:

    Ugh, I was really hoping this book would be better. I love Steampunk books. The cover is awesome, the book description lured me in and I completely agree with your assessment of the story and characters.
    Thanks for sharing your review.

  1. Since reviews first starting coming out for this one, it has been one disappointment after another. I was so excited about this book. I love Steampunk, the cover is too cute and the story sounds good. I hate that all of those great things that got me excited about the book were all a bit misleading. I may one day read this, if I find it at the library, but I am not going to pay money for it. Sigh!

  1. Chelsea B. said...:

    Oh, that's such a bummer. It sucks when books make you feel as if you need to skim. That's so disappointing. I guess you really can't judge a book by it's cover-- because I would have been all over that one. Thank you for sharing an honest review!