Search This Blog

Fatherless by: James C. Dobson and Kurt Bruner

Sunday, January 20, 2013



The year is 2042, and a long-predicted tipping point has arrived. For the first time in human history, the economic pyramid has flipped: The feeble old now outnumber the vigorous young, and this untenable situation is intensifying a battle between competing cultural agendas. Reporter Julia Davidson-a formerly award-winning journalist seeking to revive a flagging career-is investigating the growing crisis, unaware that her activity makes her a pawn in an ominous conspiracy. Plagued by nightmares about her absent father, Julia finds herself drawn to the quiet strength of a man she meets at a friend's church. As the engrossing plot of FATHERLESS unfolds, Julia will face choices that pit professional success against personal survival in an increasingly uncertain and dangerous world.

Goodreads Summary



This dystopia starts in the year 2042 where there are more elderly people than younger citizens. It’s a world where people don’t want to have families anymore; they just want to live life unscathed by children. Why is this happening? Well, we get to find out with the main character – Juliawho tries to solve the mystery herself.

Okay… I was a little scarred after reading this book. My whole life is about family. I love my family and I want to start one. I’m 23 years old and only date guys who want marriage and children. That’s what I want out of life; and in this book, it’s the complete opposite. It shows you a futuristic value, and the harsh consequences it leads to. In order to control the population of the elderly, they have to be put to death. When I started reading about it, I had to skim the page. It was just too sad. Julia was a great character. I really enjoyed reading about her and the mystery. When picking up the book, I had a feeling there would be some Christian theme to it, but it’s not really that bad. The storyline has some references, but is not polluting the plot. I was captivated and at the same time kept a distance to the storyline. It’s just too freaky to imagine. It’s not as bad as Hunger Games when I sobbed in my pillow for an hour after I finished reading it. It just spooked me out. If you want a thriller, this book is for you!

4 stars

*Reviewed by Rachel*


Find this book:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository




This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

1 comments:

  1. Galadriel said...:

    Dobson has written several marriage and parenting books, but this is his first fictional work. I've considered reading it, but my list is so long...