Ivy in the Shadows by Chris Woodworth
Posted by Krystal Larson at 1:50 AM Thursday, January 10, 2013
After Ivy's stepfather disappears, Ivy's mama begins waitressing at Dining Divinely to make ends meet. She also takes in a boarder—twelve-year-old Caleb, who's the same age as Ivy and is the weirdest guy she's ever met. With Mama working full-time, Ivy has to babysit her little brother, JJ. She also has to fend off the nosy Pastor Harold; stop Caleb from filling JJ's head with lies; and keep her best friend, Ellen, from knowing anything about her embarrassing situation at home.
Ivy has always found out all she needs to know by lurking in the shadows (some might call it "eavesdropping"). But as things at home become more complicated, she learns to step into the light and not only listen but speak up.
I almost always have trouble connecting with characters in books meant for younger audiences. Twelve year-old Ivy was an exception to this rule. Smart, serious, and relatable, Ivy drove the story forward with her efforts to protect her family during a difficult time. I admired Ivy and admonished her as I read when I suspected her ideas would end badly.
Ivy’s mother recently divorced Ivy’s stepfather. Rather than paying child support to aid in the upkeep of Ivy’s younger, half-brother JJ, Ivy’s stepfather leaves town. Now, Ivy’s mother and best friend Maureen spend hours thinking of ideas to earn money. One of these ideas result in the taking in a border Ivy’s age named Caleb. With a seemingly never-ending supply of stories, Caleb is slowly taking over Ivy’s role as caretaker of her younger brother. Another idea of Maureen and Ivy’s mother leads to Ivy’s mother working long hours at a restaurant, leaving Ivy to run the house. Ivy’s life is in a state of change through the course of the book.
Kids between the ages of nine and twelve could relate to Ivy and enjoy reading about her life. Ivy in the Shadows was a fun and easy read. I give Chris Woodworth’s efforts four out of five stars.
*Reviewed by Kristin*
Find this book:
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (372)
- ► 2015 (312)
- ► 2014 (408)
- The Runner by: A. Wayne Gill
- Who Is Marcus Finch Clue #8!
- Who Is Marcus Finch Clue #7!
- Shunning Sarah by: Julie Kramer
- Guest Post by Stacy Green
- Cover Reveal: While He Was Away by Karen Schreck
- Who Is Marcus Finch Clue #6!
- Cover Reveal: Stained by Cheryl Rainfield
- Book Blast and Guest Post Melissa Marr
- Who Is Marcus Finch Clue #5!
- When Hope Blossoms by Kim Vogel Sawyer
- Wicked Circle by Linda Robertson
- You Got To Be Kidding! by Joe Wenke
- Vicious Circle by Linda Robertson
- Who Is Marcus Finch Clue #4!
- Back To The Future Giveaway Hop!
- What He Saw by Ryan Casey
- Marcus Finch Clue!
- The Book of Paul Book Feature!
- Who Is Marcus Finch Clue #3!
- Cover Reveal: Soul Catcher!
- Who Is Marcus Finch Clue #2!
- Guest Post and Book Feature : Beside My Door-Step
- Under Her Spell by Eliza Daly
- Guess Marcus Finch from The Indigo Spell by Richel...
- The Silver Sphere by Michael Dadich
- Nobody's Angel: Guest Post and Giveaway!
- The Dead and Buried By: Kim Harrington
- Innocent Darkness by: Suzanne Lazear
- Into the Dark by: Stacy Green
- Lust For Life by: Jeri Smith-Ready
- Midnight City by: J. Barton Mitchell
- Bitter Night by Diana Pharaoh Francis
- Crimson Wind by: Diana Pharaoh Francis
- Divine Fury by: Robert B. Lowe
- Fatherless by: James C. Dobson and Kurt Bruner
- The best authors in New Fiction are celebrating th...
- Cage Life: Book Feature and Guest Post!
- Guest Post and Book Feature: Nobody Has To Know......
- The Lesson: Stoney Ridge Seasons By: Suzanne Woods...
- The Aviator’s Wife By: Melanie Benjamin
- Everbound by Brodi Ashton: Blog Tour and Giveaway!...
- The Underside of Joy By: Seré Prince Halverson
- Deception By: Kris Kennedy
- The Stranger By: Max Frei
- The Strangers Woe’s by Max Frei
- Darklands: A Deadtown Novel By: Nancy Holzner
- The Tutor’s Daughter By: Julie Klassen
- Love Finds You in Glacier Bay Alaska By: Tricia Go...
- Chasers by: James Phelan
- Zombie Candy: Book Feature and Guest Post
- Guest Post and Book Feature: The Shadow of the Uni...
- Ashen Winter by: Mike Mullin
- Unremembered by: Jessica Brody
- Shades of Gray by Andy Holloman
- Never Give In To Fear: Book Feature and Guest Post...
- Shades of Gray by Andy Holloman
- Guest Post and Book Feature: Marching With Caesar
- Clear Your Shelf Giveaway Hop!
- Poison by Bridget Zinn
- Ivy in the Shadows by Chris Woodworth
- The 13th Sign by Kristin O’Donnell Tubb
- What I Learned about Leadership from My Dog by Joh...
- Blood Winter by: Diana Pharaoh Francis
- Guest Post by Bella Andre!
- Fingerprints: A Mystery Suspense Novel by Marcia L...
- Zombie Candy Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Interview with author Michael Allan Scott and Book...
- Dark Side of Sunset Pointe: Book Feature and Autho...
- Shades of Gray Book Blast!
- Bringing YA To You
- Decked With Holly By: Marni Bates-Review and Givea...
- The Grimm Chronicles Book Blast and Giveaway!
- ▼ January (73)
- ► 2012 (818)