What Happens Next by Colleen Clayton: Review, Interview, ARC Giveaway!
Posted by Krystal Larson at 11:53 PM Tuesday, August 28, 2012
How can you talk about something you can’t remember?
Before the ski trip, sixteen-year-old Cassidy “Sid” Murphy was a cheerleader (at the bottom of the pyramid, but still...), a straight-A student, and a member of a solid trio of best friends. When she ends up on a ski lift next to handsome local college boy, Dax Windsor, she’s thrilled; but Dax takes everything from Sid—including a lock of her perfect red curls—and she can’t remember any of it.
Back home and unable to relate to her old friends, Sid drops her college prep classes and takes up residence in the A/V room with only Corey “The Living Stoner” Livingston for company. But as she gets to know Corey (slacker, baker, total dreamboat), Sid finds someone who truly makes her happy. Now, if she can just shake the nightmares and those few extra pounds, everything will be perfect... or so she thinks.
witty and poignant, Colleen Clayton’s stunning debut is a story about moving on after the unthinkable happens.
Advance Praise for WHAT HAPPENS NEXT:
"Colleen Clayton's gutsy characters stuck with me long after I finished reading What Happens Next." --Lucy Christopher, author of the Printz Honor book STOLEN
"I absolutely devoured this book, and found myself reading the final pages more and more slowly, trying to put off seeing it end. I haven't been this in love with a set of characters in maybe forever." --Jennifer Brown, author of HATE LIST
"Real teenagers. Real issues. Real writing. I read "What Happens Next" in one big swoop. Heartbreaking, but still filled with hope and promise, author Colleen Clayton knows that the past can't be rewritten, but you can ruin the future by not learning from it." -- Holly Goldberg Sloan, author of I'LL BE THERE
"Sad, funny, and true. This book hits all the right notes." --Miranda Kenneally, author of CATCHING JORDAN
What Happens Next touches on many difficult topics that the author handles with ease and poise. The reader will get to know Cassidy aka "Sid" very well, coming to admire her brave exterior. Sid was raped and, although she is repressing the memory, the rape still hurts her emotionally. Sid is withdrawn and a little hard to get to know, but reading further into the book to peal more of Sid's layers is well worth the wait. Sid is lucky to meet Corey, a guy that many people would skip over, but one who turns out to make all the difference to Sid. He has a way of healing her and a very interesting personality.
The story has a hint of romance and an air of mystery. Sid doesn't really remember the rape, but the rape has lingering, negative effects. The rape itself is not overly graphic and the subject of eating disorders adds another layer of reality to the story. Sid is a character who will be nearly impossible to connect, the reader is just about guaranteed to connect to her on an emotional level. Overall, this book is recommended to teens and young adults.
Find this book:
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository
About the author:
Colleen Clayton has worked with troubled teens as a social worker ad as program supervisor for Big Brothers Big Sisters. She currently lives in Ohio with her family and recently received her MFA from the Northeast Ohio Consortium at Youngstown State University. WHAT HAPPENS NEXT is her debut novel.
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT
By Colleen Clayton / Poppy
On sale: October 9, 2012
Hardcover ISBN: 9780316198684 / $17.99 / $19.99 CAN
E-book ISBN: 9780316215046 / $9.99 / $9.99 CAN
www.pickapoppy.com * www.colleenclayton.com
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
1) Tell us a little bit about your inspiration for this book.
In regards to themes, I wanted to write a bookdealing with sexual assault and its effect on a survivor’s body image. Studies have shown that victims of sexual assault are at risk for developing eating disorders so I wanted to explore that connection.
Being from the Cleveland area, I definitely wanted to set my story there. The main character came to me fully formed. I had an image in my head of young, red-haired woman on a ski-lift talking to an engaging stranger. I wanted the main character to be very vivacious and outspoken, funny, and friendly but also naïve and, deep down, terribly insecure.
2) What can we expect from Cassidy?
You can expect Cassidy (Sid) to be a very witty girl who deals with her situation in her own unique way. Cassidy definitely has her own ideas about things. She’s fiercely independent and is a fighter through-and-through.
3) Was there a character that was difficultto write about or create? Why?
Sometimes, through the drafting process, I felt Sid’s two best friends, Kirsten and Paige, were difficult to figure out. While they are an important part of the story, they are side characters so I had todo a bit of hard work to make them come alive on the page.
4) Who was your favorite character to write about?
Sid, of course. But next in line would be Corey. Holy wow, do I love that boy. Writing him into existence was one of the most fulfilling experiences I have ever had as a writer. I’m really, really proud of that character.
5) Are you currently working on another book?
I am! I just turned a draft into my agent! It’s set in the same high school but is a stand-alone with different characters and themes. I’m really excited about it.
Giveaway: One ARC copy of What Happens Next
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (371)
- ► 2015 (312)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- Loving Lady Marcia by Kieran Kramer
- What Happens Next by Colleen Clayton: Review, Inte...
- Sugar Walls Book Blurb Blitz Tour!
- Painted Blind by Michelle Hansen
- Betrayed by Ednah Walters
- The Stranger's Magic: The Labyrinths of Echo, Book...
- Raven's Blood by Deborah Cannon
- The Lure of Shapinsay by Krista Holle
- Read the first chapter of Hidden by PC Cast and Kr...
- Deep In The Wave: A Surfing Guide to the Soul by B...
- Aftermath: Growing in Grace through Grief by Marg...
- Back To School Book Clean-Up Giveaway!
- Outpost by Ann Aguirre
- Over The Edge by Mary Connealy
- And When She Was Good by Laura Lippman
- Vestige by Deb Hanrahan
- The Unnaturalists by Tiffany Trent
- The Stars Shine Bright by Sibella Giorello
- Tidewater Inn (Hope Beach, #1) by Colleen Coble
- Last Days of Freedom Giveaway Hop!
- Shards of History Guest Post!
- When A Woman You Love Was Abused: A Husband's Guid...
- The Reckoning: Book Two of the Taker Trilogy by Al...
- Sparkle by Denene Millner
- Drain You by M. Beth Bloom
- Cradle My Heart: Finding God’s Love after Abortion...
- Loving Lady Marcia: First Chapter and Giveaway (at...
- Crimson Footprints Bookblast and Giveaway!
- Treasures of Healthy Living by Annette Reeder, Dr....
- Mrs. Tuesday's Book Blast Giveaway!
- Over You by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus
- Everlasting Love Guest Post and Giveaway!
- Shades of the Future Guest Post and Giveaway!
- Never Trust a Pretty Wolf Giveaway and Guest Post!...
- Marshals of Journey Creek Guest Post and Giveaway ...
- Check out the trailer for The Empty City!!
- Interview with Author Amy Kathleen Ryan!
- Nightfall: Guestpost and Giveaway!
- Midnight in Austenland By Shannon Hale
- Sweet Shadows by Tera Lynn Childs
- The Boy Recession by Flynn Meaney
- Gallagher's Hope Guest Post & Giveaway!
- Mind Secrets by Chris Reynolds
- Sykosa by Justin Ordoñez
- The Light of Asteria by Elizabeth Isaacs: Review a...
- Fingerprints Of You by Kristen-Paige Madonia
- Blood Moon by Alyxandra Harvey
- Send by Patty Blount
- ▼ August (49)