The Boy Recession by Flynn Meaney
Posted by Krystal Larson at 9:25 PM Monday, August 6, 2012
Down-to-earth Kelly is always the friend and never the girlfriend. But as her junior year of high school starts, Kelly is determined to finally reveal her true feelings for her long-time crush and good friend Hunter - that is, until the Boy Recession hits.
Over the past summer, an overwhelming number of male students have left Kelly and Hunter's small high school class. Some were sent to private school and others moved away. Whatever the case, the sudden population shift has left the already small Julius P. Heil High in desperate shape. The football coach is recruiting chess champs for his team, the principal's importing male exchange students to balance out school dances,and Hunter is about to become an unexpected heartthrob.
Content with his role as the guitar-strumming, class-skipping slacker, Hunter is unprepared to be the center of attention. Desperate coaches are recruiting him for sports teams, and the drama teacher casts him in the lead role of the school musical. Even the Spandexers, powerful popular girls in tight pants, are noticing Hunter in a new light - with a little work, he could have potential. He might even be boyfriend material...
In order to stand out from the crowd and win Hunter's heart, Kelly needs a "stimulus package" in the form of cougar lessons from a senior girl who dates hot freshman boys and advice on the male mind from her Cosmo-addicted best friend, Aviva. As if dating wasn't hard enough without a four-to-one ratio!
Meaney wrote a book that had me laughing from cover to cover. The plot focuses on the effects of a “boy recession” at a high school. When 12% of the boys leave the school, the remaining guys find that they are now in high demand. Boys who never played a sport before are on the football team and guys who could never hope for a date find that they are surrounded by desperate girls. This book is told from two perspectives, the first is Hunter. At first, he is unaffected by the exodus of the guys from his school. Hunter is a brilliant slacker who doesn’t put much effort into anything he does. This changes after being yelled at by a high school advisor and meeting Kelly, the second narrator of this book. Kelly is sweet, nice, and musically gifted. She finds herself drawn to Hunter, she likes his easy-going personality. As the two grow closer, the problems that come with a boy recession begin to interfere with their friendship.
The Boy Recession is perfect for young adult and teenage readers. Meaney’s writing is humorous and creative. All the characters stand out and are memorable. I can’t wait to read Meaney’s next book and I give this novel five out of five stars.
*Reviewed by Kristen*
Find this book:
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (364)
- ► 2015 (311)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- Loving Lady Marcia by Kieran Kramer
- What Happens Next by Colleen Clayton: Review, Inte...
- Sugar Walls Book Blurb Blitz Tour!
- Painted Blind by Michelle Hansen
- Betrayed by Ednah Walters
- The Stranger's Magic: The Labyrinths of Echo, Book...
- Raven's Blood by Deborah Cannon
- The Lure of Shapinsay by Krista Holle
- Read the first chapter of Hidden by PC Cast and Kr...
- Deep In The Wave: A Surfing Guide to the Soul by B...
- Aftermath: Growing in Grace through Grief by Marg...
- Back To School Book Clean-Up Giveaway!
- Outpost by Ann Aguirre
- Over The Edge by Mary Connealy
- And When She Was Good by Laura Lippman
- Vestige by Deb Hanrahan
- The Unnaturalists by Tiffany Trent
- The Stars Shine Bright by Sibella Giorello
- Tidewater Inn (Hope Beach, #1) by Colleen Coble
- Last Days of Freedom Giveaway Hop!
- Shards of History Guest Post!
- When A Woman You Love Was Abused: A Husband's Guid...
- The Reckoning: Book Two of the Taker Trilogy by Al...
- Sparkle by Denene Millner
- Drain You by M. Beth Bloom
- Cradle My Heart: Finding God’s Love after Abortion...
- Loving Lady Marcia: First Chapter and Giveaway (at...
- Crimson Footprints Bookblast and Giveaway!
- Treasures of Healthy Living by Annette Reeder, Dr....
- Mrs. Tuesday's Book Blast Giveaway!
- Over You by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus
- Everlasting Love Guest Post and Giveaway!
- Shades of the Future Guest Post and Giveaway!
- Never Trust a Pretty Wolf Giveaway and Guest Post!...
- Marshals of Journey Creek Guest Post and Giveaway ...
- Check out the trailer for The Empty City!!
- Interview with Author Amy Kathleen Ryan!
- Nightfall: Guestpost and Giveaway!
- Midnight in Austenland By Shannon Hale
- Sweet Shadows by Tera Lynn Childs
- The Boy Recession by Flynn Meaney
- Gallagher's Hope Guest Post & Giveaway!
- Mind Secrets by Chris Reynolds
- Sykosa by Justin Ordoñez
- The Light of Asteria by Elizabeth Isaacs: Review a...
- Fingerprints Of You by Kristen-Paige Madonia
- Blood Moon by Alyxandra Harvey
- Send by Patty Blount
- ▼ August (49)