Search This Blog

Outpost by Ann Aguirre

Wednesday, August 22, 2012
Deuce’s whole world has changed. Down below, she was considered an adult. Now, topside in a town called Salvation, she’s a brat in need of training in the eyes of the townsfolk. She doesn’t fit in with the other girls: Deuce only knows how to fight.
To make matters worse, her Hunter partner, Fade, keeps Deuce at a distance. Her feelings for Fade haven’t changed, but he seems not to want her around anymore. Confused and lonely, she starts looking for a way out.
Deuce signs up to serve in the summer patrols—those who make sure the planters can work the fields without danger. It should be routine, but things have been changing on the surface, just as they did below ground. The Freaks have grown smarter. They’re watching. Waiting. Planning. The monsters don’t intend to let Salvation survive, and it may take a girl like Deuce to turn back the tide.

Goodreads Summary

This is the second book of the Razorland series.  As with the first book of the series, Enclave, I had a hard time liking the main character, Deuce.  She has a superiority complex and is crushing on a rapist who is ironically named Stalker.  WHAT IS UP WITH THAT?!  I just will never understand how Aguirre can have him as a love interest.  Deuce looks down on the townspeople, as well.  It is hard to like her, but after Stalker, I now cannot respect her at all.
     In this book, Deuce is having a hard time getting used to her new town.  She is now expected to become a stereotypical girl.  In addition to this, Fade is ignoring her.  Eventually, Deuce, Fade, and Stalker go to guard the fields of the community.  This is where the story becomes interesting…The reader learns a lot about the characters and I like the twists and turns of the plot.
    There are a lot of revelations in this book.  Some I expected, but some took me completely by surprise.  I do really like Aguirre’s writing, but I might not read the last book.  I cannot stand Stalker.  Even though I complained a lot in this review, the book really is pretty good.  I give it 3 ½ stars out of 5.  Aguirre is a good writer, she just needs to clean up her characters. 
              
3 1/2

*Reviewed by Kristin*

Find this book:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository

This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

9 comments:

  1. My daughter loved the first book, but I haven't had time to read it yet. I know she'll want to read book 2. Thanks for the review.

  1. erin said...:

    I really love this author and I'm pretty much sold on everything she writes. It's a very different world, that's for sure. I'm still looking forward to this new release. Thanks for the review!

  1. Unknown said...:

    Sounds good! I cant wait to get started on Enclave so I can get to Outpost as well.

  1. Steph said...:

    I haven't read Enclave yet, but these books sound crazy good! Thanks for your great review!

  1. M.A.D. said...:

    Read Enclave and now can't wait to read Outpost! :D
    So glad they kept the same wicked style of cover~
    (okay, so I'm addicted to great cover art lol)
    M.A.D. (Mary DeBorde)

  1. I genuinely liked Enclave, but I know that a lot of people had issues with it. This one has had even more negative reviews thrown at it, and although I haven't read it yet, I can completely understand why. His name is Stalker, and the reason that I have not read it yet myself. It threw me when I first heard it because at the end of Enclave, I thought that Deuce and Fade were crushing on each other. And I like Fade. To go from that to liking a KNOWN RAPIST boggles my mind. I can honestly say that I don't know if I will ever read this one. Some things I just don't have the ability to handle.

  1. Unknown said...:

    Oh, I really like this! I haven't read it but it sounds awesome! Nice review, thank!

  1. Susan T. said...:

    I've been wanting to read this series but I can't get behind a rapist as the love interest!

  1. I totally get what you mean and I'm not sure if I'll even finish this series. I read the first book but the second and third I'm not sure if I'll be able to continue. Nice review!