Lola’s not pretty. Lola’s not popular. Lola wishes she could disappear … and then one day she does just that... For seventeen-year-old Lola Savullo, life is a struggle. Born to funky parents who are more in than she could ever be, Lola’s dream of becoming a writer makes her an outsider even in her own home. Bullied and despised, Lola still has the support of her best pal Charlie and Grandma Rose. Not only is she freakishly tall, Lola’s a big girl and when forced to wear a bathing suit at her summer job as a camp counselor, Lola’s only escape from deep embarrassment seems to be to literally vanish. Soon after, she discovers the roots of her new “ability”. Slowly, with Charlie’s help, Lola learns to control the new super power. The possibilities are endless. Yet power can be abused, too… Then, when tragedy strikes, Lola must summon her inner strength, both at home and at school. She has to stand up for herself, despite the temptations and possibilities of her newfound super power. A coming-of-age story that will warm the heart.
Lola is the best part of this book. She is likable and sweet, easy to connect to. When she discovers that she has a unique ability, to turn herself invisible, she also has to consider just why she has that ability. Many wish for the chance to become invisible, but is it all that it's chalked up to be?
In school, Lola is picked on and bullied fairly extensively, she doesn't fare too well at home, either. Her best friend keeps her sane. When her best friend and her come up with an idea to make the bullies pay, the reader will be rooting for them. The two are quite enjoyable to read about; Lola's best friend so obviously cares for her that it is endearing.
Lola's story is told with empathy, the author is very careful with the wording and manages to maximize the characters' emotions so they are easily translatable to the reader. This book emphasizes the negatives of bullying and the immense amount of help a friend can offer. The plot is fast-paced and intriguing, the reader won't be bored. The ending is both slightly unexpected and satisfying. The only slight negative would be the whiny attitude Lola sometimes displays; however, as she is bullied so much this small whiny behavior does not amount to much. This book is recommended to young adult/teen readers.
Find this book:
Barnes and Noble
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (372)
- ► 2015 (312)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- ► 2012 (818)
- An Appetite For Murder by Lucy Burdette
- Closer by Maxine Linnell
- Treehugger by Kea Alwang
- ARC Tour for The Catastrophic History of You and M...
- Outlander Chronicles: Phoenix (Outlander Chronicle...
- Best of 2011!!! Giveaway Hop! (USA/CAN) ARC of Fae...
- Love and Leftovers by Sarah Tregay
- Cinder by Marissa Meyer
- I Loved You First by Reena Jacobs
- The Farsighted Holiday Whirlwind! *Leave a commen...
- ARC Giveaway! (USA/CAN) and SWAG Giveaway (INT)
- Interview with Author Elise Stephens!
- Mid-Winter's Eve Blog Hop!
- Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
- 12 Things to Do Before You Crash and Burn by James...
- Fury's Fire by Lisa Papademetriou
- Lucky by Craig Inglis, Illustrated by Richard Kins...
- The Rook by Daniel O'Malley
- Little Women and Me By: Lauren Baratz-Logsted
- Havoc by Jeff Sampson
- Hallowed by Cynthia Hand
- Witches of the Glass Castle by Gabriella Lepore
- Entangled by Traci Bell
- Compulsion by Kymberlee Burks Miller Book Spotligh...
- My Funny Valentine: America's Most Hilarious Write...
- Tariel's Way by Michael B. Millard
- Ever Heard of Wine.com?
- Slide by Jill Hathaway
- Wayward Son by Tom Pollack, John Loftus, Jim Alves...
- Saving June by Hannah Harrington
- Wayward Saints by Suzzy Roche
- ARC Giveaway! (USA/CAN)
- Tempest by Julie Cross
- Don't Breathe a Word by Holly Cupola
- Pure By: Julianna Baggott
- The Public Defender by M. D. Cliatt GIVEAWAY!
- Scorpio Rising by Monique Domovitch Excerpt!
- Incarnate by Jodi Meadows
- Kiss Crush Collide by Christina Meredith
- The Secret Sisterhood of Heartbreakers by Lynn Wei...
- The Complex by: Donald W. Tucker
- Still Waters by Emma Carlson Berne
- Heart of Ice by Lis Wiehl and April Henry
- Cover Adoration Dec 18, 2011
- $50 Paypal Cash Giveaway
- What Happened on Fox Street by: Tricia Springstubb...
- Mo Wren, Lost and Found by: Tricia Springstubb
- The Game of Triumphs by Laura Powell
- In Defense of Flash Fiction – What It Can Teach Yo...
- Welcome to the 12 Pearls of Christmas!
- What Martial Arts Taught me about Writing: Guest P...
- All That Bleeds by Kimberly Frost
- David Knight Guest Post!
- Real by Shelley Malcolm
- A Million Suns by Beth Revis
- Web of Lies - My Life with a Narcissist by Sarah T...
- Food Allergy and Gluten-Free Weight Loss by Nicole...
- Shadows and Fire by Jennifer Fales
- It's a Waverly Life by Maria Murnane
- Favorite Holidays Stories: Guest Post by Lena Gol...
- Virtual Virgin by Carole Nelson Douglas
- Kevin's Point of View by Del Shannon
- On The Fringe by Courtney King Walker
- Jessica Rules The Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey
- Welcome to the 3rd Annual Pearl Girls™ 12 Pearls o...
- Review and Excerpt: In Leah's Wake by Terri Giulia...
- Poisoned Love by Caitlin Rother
- In the Middle of Almost and Other Stories by S.B. ...
- Teed Up For Love by Barbara Weitz
- Loveswept Holiday Hop 12/12-1/8
- Character Inspirations for Moonlight and Oranges-E...
- Cover Reveal!
- The Girl In The Box by Sheila Dalton
- ML Furs!
- Join Bloggers in the Paypal Cash giveaway!
- 5 New Year’s Resolutions for Readers
- Open Minds by Susan Kaye Quinn
- Irises by Francisco X. Stork
- The Yoga Club by Cooper Lawrence
- No Work and All Play: Audacious Chronicles of a Ca...
- The Kitchen Daughter by Jael McHenry
- Battle For Cascadia by Kenneth Bennett
- Invisible by Jeanne Bannon
- The Best Holiday Gifts for Readers
- ARC Tour for Tempest by Julie Cross
- In Her Sights by Robin Perini Guest Post
- Don't Forget to Enter!
- The Gaia Wars by Kenneth G. Bennett
- The Gaia Wars by Kenneth G. Bennett Guest Post and...
- Blue Sky Scrubs!
- Savvy Diva’s Take On…Elevator Etiquette
- Vestal Virgin: Suspense in Ancient Rome : Suzanne ...
- Review and Giveaway of A New Prospect by Wayne Zur...
- Book Lover's Holiday Giveaway Hop!
- Carving Angels Review and Guest Post by Diane Stri...
- 44 Days of Random Thoughts & Observations by Jahza...
- New Blog Design
- Angelina's Secret by Lisa J. Rogers
- ▼ December (117)