Search This Blog

One by Sarah Crossan

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Tippi and Grace share everything—clothes, friends . . . even their body. Writing in free verse, Sarah Crossan tells the sensitive and moving story of conjoined twin sisters, which will find fans in readers of Gayle Forman, Jodi Picoult, and Jandy Nelson.

Tippi and Grace. Grace and Tippi. For them, it’s normal to step into the same skirt. To hook their arms around each other for balance. To fall asleep listening to the other breathing. To share. And to keep some things private. The two sixteen-year-old girls have two heads, two hearts, and each has two arms, but at the belly, they join. And they are happy, never wanting to risk the dangerous separation surgery.

But the girls’ body is beginning to fight against them. And soon they will have to face the impossible choice they have avoided for their entire lives.

Goodreads Summary

This story is told in free verse and for me, it was a little hard to get into due to that aspect.  I liked the concept of conjoined twins and I personally can't imagine my sister and I conjoined (we do not have the patience of Tippi and Grace).  I loved how they each had distinct personalities and how they truly cared for each other.  Their family has difficulties paying their medical bills, but they persevere.  The girls are (correctly) nervous about attending school and being liked.  I did enjoy the combination of typical teenage fears with Tippi and Grace's fears.  I knew that they were going to have to make the decision to possibly endure yet another big operation, but I didn't know how I felt about it until later.

It is very easy to get attached to these characters and want the best for them.  I somewhat wish that this story wasn't told in verse, but I did appreciate how it added to the hesitancy and emotional feel of the scenes.  Overall, this book is recommended to young adult/teen readers.

4 Stars

This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews. COPYRIGHT © 2014 LIVE TO READ

1 comments:

  1. Steph said...:

    Thank you for this review I had not heard of this book before.