To Know You by Shannon Ethridge and Kathryn Mackel
Posted by Krystal Larson at 1:28 AM Friday, December 20, 2013
Years ago, Julia Whittaker gave up two daughters for adoption. Now she must find them to try to save the life of her son.
Julia and Matt Whittaker’s son was diagnosed with biliary atresia at birth. Dillon has beaten the odds for thirteen years only to have the odds—and his liver—crash precipitously. The only hope for his survival is a transplant. He can receive a “living liver” transplant but neither his parents, nor various family members and friends, are compatible.
The transplant list is long and Dillon’s time is short. Very short.
He has two chances for a compatible liver: his two older half-sisters, born eighteen months apart and adopted at birth.
But can Julia ask a young woman—someone she surrendered to strangers—to donate a portion of her body to a brother she’s never known? Will either sister even be a match for their half-brother? Will either of them show mercy and courage if they are?
Julia knows she’s probably on a fool’s errand—reaching out to the daughters she abandoned only now that she needs them. But what other choice does she have except to try?
I have to admit that I had a very hard time reviewing this book...even reading it. I am definitely a "happily ever after" type of person; don't get me wrong, I love a good dystopian, but I just feel bad when families are negatively affected. When Julia's son is very ill and in need of a transplant, Julia suddenly remembers that she gave up two daughters for birth. She goes back to hound them and try to literally get a piece of their bodies from them. I found this very disturbing. I do understand what it is like to have someone waiting for years on the organ recipient list, but I can't imagine asking something so extraordinary from people that I (theoretically) literally gave up.
I did not like Julia's character, but I liked the characters of her daughters. In a way, she made the right decision in giving them up because they turned out just fine. This isn't always the case, but I definitely was glad that they seemed so healthy and happy. I felt horrible for Dillon; I would never want anyone to suffer to that extent. He was a brave little boy for all he went through. I guess I could have tried harder to give this book a chance, but I just think this one wasn't for me.
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (364)
- ► 2015 (311)
- ► 2014 (408)
- The Blossoming Universe of Violet Diamond by Brend...
- The In-Between by Barbara Stewar
- MOA by Tricia Stewart Shiu
- Fire & Flood by Victoria Scott
- Cress by Marissa Meyer
- Unforgotten by Jessica Brody
- 15 Winter Reads: Book Blast and Giveaway!
- The Winter Witch by Paula Brackston: Blog Tour!
- Midwinter's Eve Giveaway Hop!
- Notes of a Tourist on Planet Earth by J.D. Smith
- The Fountain Of The Earth by H.L. Le Roy
- Boring: Finding an Extraordinary God in an Ordinar...
- Sunkissed by Carys Jones
- The Holdout by Laurel Osterkamp
- Weight Loss Surgery: The Real Skinny by Nick Nicho...
- The Terrorists' Apprentice by Walter Craig
- The Witch by W.C. James
- The Pleasure of Memory by Welcome Cole
- Antiphon (The Psalms of Isaak Book 3) by Ken Schol...
- Canticle (The Psalms of Isaak book #2) by Ken Scho...
- Visions of Fire & Ice: Excerpt and Giveaway!
- The Children Who Time Lost by Marvin Amazon
- To Know You by Shannon Ethridge and Kathryn Mackel...
- The Facebook Diet by Gemini Adams
- Be Sure To Buy A Print Copy of Be With Me!
- Lamentation by Ken Scholes
- Good Faith by Liz Crowe: Promo and Giveaway!
- December Book News: Rachel Silberman Edition!
- Twisted by Holly Hook: Promo and Teaser!
- The Balborite Curse: Promo and Giveaway!
- Control by Lydia Kang
- The Scandal in Kissing an Heir: Excerpt and Giveaw...
- Through The Oracle's Mist: GIVEAWAY and Promotion!...
- Witch Rising: Release Day and Cover Blitz GIVEAWAY...
- An Incurable Insanity by Simi K. Rao
- Upcoming Twitter Chat!
- Marking Time by April White
- Roses in Ecuador by Heather Huffman
- HarperCollins' News and Giveaways!
- Best of 2013 Giveaway Hop!
- Flick: Excerpt and Giveaway!
- Kirby Puckernut and the Christmas Surprise Giveawa...
- The Christmas Train: Spotlight and Giveaway!
- Kindle Fire Giveaway December 2013!
- Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight
- How Wendy Redbird Dancing Survived the Dark Ages o...
- A Walk One Winter Night by Al Andrews
- Hollow City Trailer!
- Credara by JE Henderson
- Help Choose a Book to be Published!
- Chat with Sophie Jordan at 3 PM EST/ 2 PM CST
- Here Are a Bunch of Great Titles and Why To Read T...
- What titles are you looking forward to at ALA?
- The Hardest Thing in This World by Nicole Eva Fras...
- Gunpowder Tea by Margaret Brownley
- Try out the Harlequin Scavenger Book Hunt!
- Sneak Peak Into Empower by Jessica Shirvington!
- ▼ December (57)
- ► 2012 (818)