Boring: Finding an Extraordinary God in an Ordinary Life by Michael Kelley
Posted by sailingaway at 10:51 PM Saturday, December 21, 2013
We all need reminding that God is not absent from the seemingly insignificant details of life. Today we live with a false separation between sacred and secular that was never meant to be. Work, paying bills, changing diapers . . . when Jesus enters any situation He makes even the most mundane things extraordinary.
Bored enlivens this truth as author Michael Kelley uses the narrative of Saul's rise to kingship in the Old Testament to make his fine point: we can give ourselves to ordinary life -- parenting, marriage, work, etc. -- because we fully believe in God's presence and power within those situations. They are no longer boring but important.
See every relationship, every act of kindness, and every moment for what it is: a part of God's exciting plan for your life.
Many of us feel like drones buzzing in the beehive that is encompassed by our jobs, family, friends, and anything else that may make life mundane. We live day in day out slaving for our living and sometimes find ourselves wondering why and questioning what we are building towards. This book may help you find some answers that have been searching for if you find yourself stuck in this rut.
This book speaks of finding contentment in the lives that we live and presents stories from The Bible to show examples of how looking to God can help us re-find our purpose. I personally found some of the opinions and ideas presented contrived but I can see that there are many that would find comfort in the ideas brought forth. Some variety in life is good but the idea that we should find happiness in our everyday tasks is something that we can all relate to as our jobs and life can get repetitive at times.
*Reviewed by Chris*
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (332)
- ► 2015 (311)
- ► 2014 (408)
- The Blossoming Universe of Violet Diamond by Brend...
- The In-Between by Barbara Stewar
- MOA by Tricia Stewart Shiu
- Fire & Flood by Victoria Scott
- Cress by Marissa Meyer
- Unforgotten by Jessica Brody
- 15 Winter Reads: Book Blast and Giveaway!
- The Winter Witch by Paula Brackston: Blog Tour!
- Midwinter's Eve Giveaway Hop!
- Notes of a Tourist on Planet Earth by J.D. Smith
- The Fountain Of The Earth by H.L. Le Roy
- Boring: Finding an Extraordinary God in an Ordinar...
- Sunkissed by Carys Jones
- The Holdout by Laurel Osterkamp
- Weight Loss Surgery: The Real Skinny by Nick Nicho...
- The Terrorists' Apprentice by Walter Craig
- The Witch by W.C. James
- The Pleasure of Memory by Welcome Cole
- Antiphon (The Psalms of Isaak Book 3) by Ken Schol...
- Canticle (The Psalms of Isaak book #2) by Ken Scho...
- Visions of Fire & Ice: Excerpt and Giveaway!
- The Children Who Time Lost by Marvin Amazon
- To Know You by Shannon Ethridge and Kathryn Mackel...
- The Facebook Diet by Gemini Adams
- Be Sure To Buy A Print Copy of Be With Me!
- Lamentation by Ken Scholes
- Good Faith by Liz Crowe: Promo and Giveaway!
- December Book News: Rachel Silberman Edition!
- Twisted by Holly Hook: Promo and Teaser!
- The Balborite Curse: Promo and Giveaway!
- Control by Lydia Kang
- The Scandal in Kissing an Heir: Excerpt and Giveaw...
- Through The Oracle's Mist: GIVEAWAY and Promotion!...
- Witch Rising: Release Day and Cover Blitz GIVEAWAY...
- An Incurable Insanity by Simi K. Rao
- Upcoming Twitter Chat!
- Marking Time by April White
- Roses in Ecuador by Heather Huffman
- HarperCollins' News and Giveaways!
- Best of 2013 Giveaway Hop!
- Flick: Excerpt and Giveaway!
- Kirby Puckernut and the Christmas Surprise Giveawa...
- The Christmas Train: Spotlight and Giveaway!
- Kindle Fire Giveaway December 2013!
- Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight
- How Wendy Redbird Dancing Survived the Dark Ages o...
- A Walk One Winter Night by Al Andrews
- Hollow City Trailer!
- Credara by JE Henderson
- Help Choose a Book to be Published!
- Chat with Sophie Jordan at 3 PM EST/ 2 PM CST
- Here Are a Bunch of Great Titles and Why To Read T...
- What titles are you looking forward to at ALA?
- The Hardest Thing in This World by Nicole Eva Fras...
- Gunpowder Tea by Margaret Brownley
- Try out the Harlequin Scavenger Book Hunt!
- Sneak Peak Into Empower by Jessica Shirvington!
- ▼ December (57)
- ► 2012 (818)