The Pleasure of Memory by Welcome Cole
Posted by sailingaway at 7:54 PM Saturday, December 21, 2013
Beam is a smuggler, a murderer, and a rogue, who lives by the age-old rules of "Finders, keepers" and "To thy own self be true." Abandoned by his family and raised in a run-down priory by an old monk, he is consumed by his anger. He measures the worth of the world's citizens less by the character of their hearts than the gold he can pick from their pockets. However, when he receives a mysterious message from his long dead mother, his carefully constructed rules of priority and self-interest are changed forever. Wrapped within that message is an ancient map that leads him far south to the reservations of the Vaemyn, a race of savages forcefully sequestered from the world by the civilized Allied Nations. Once there, he searches through a burial ground the size of a small city where he finds an ancient artifact called the Blood Caeyl, a rare red crystal carved in the image of a sensuous eye that he believes will make him rich beyond his dreams. In his flight, he crosses paths with Chance Gnoman, a powerful Water Caeyl Mage. When Chance recognizes the Blood Caeyl, he explains the importance of the artifact in the war that is about to ensue. The artifact begins to change Beam, awakening the memories of a thousand lifetimes, and with those memories, the powers of a god.
I found this world very interesting. It drew me in being familiar enough to make an instant connection but still fresh enough to keep things new and intriguing. The main character Beam is a product of his situation; a jerk, and a thief. You still end up feeling sorry for him though as he was a child that was abandoned by his family and left to be raised in a monastery.
I really liked the idea behind the Blood Caeyl crystal and the powers that it possesses. It is ironic that it ended up in the hands of Beam as he is not the ideal person that most would think deserves what it bestows. Either way, it is interesting to see Beam's "fallen society" character morph because of the situation that he is dealt. It forces him to be a better man slowly but surely and definitely does not play out for him the way he originally intended. This fantasy action/adventure is definitely something worth checking out.
*Reviewed by Chris*
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (371)
- ► 2015 (312)
- ► 2014 (408)
- The Blossoming Universe of Violet Diamond by Brend...
- The In-Between by Barbara Stewar
- MOA by Tricia Stewart Shiu
- Fire & Flood by Victoria Scott
- Cress by Marissa Meyer
- Unforgotten by Jessica Brody
- 15 Winter Reads: Book Blast and Giveaway!
- The Winter Witch by Paula Brackston: Blog Tour!
- Midwinter's Eve Giveaway Hop!
- Notes of a Tourist on Planet Earth by J.D. Smith
- The Fountain Of The Earth by H.L. Le Roy
- Boring: Finding an Extraordinary God in an Ordinar...
- Sunkissed by Carys Jones
- The Holdout by Laurel Osterkamp
- Weight Loss Surgery: The Real Skinny by Nick Nicho...
- The Terrorists' Apprentice by Walter Craig
- The Witch by W.C. James
- The Pleasure of Memory by Welcome Cole
- Antiphon (The Psalms of Isaak Book 3) by Ken Schol...
- Canticle (The Psalms of Isaak book #2) by Ken Scho...
- Visions of Fire & Ice: Excerpt and Giveaway!
- The Children Who Time Lost by Marvin Amazon
- To Know You by Shannon Ethridge and Kathryn Mackel...
- The Facebook Diet by Gemini Adams
- Be Sure To Buy A Print Copy of Be With Me!
- Lamentation by Ken Scholes
- Good Faith by Liz Crowe: Promo and Giveaway!
- December Book News: Rachel Silberman Edition!
- Twisted by Holly Hook: Promo and Teaser!
- The Balborite Curse: Promo and Giveaway!
- Control by Lydia Kang
- The Scandal in Kissing an Heir: Excerpt and Giveaw...
- Through The Oracle's Mist: GIVEAWAY and Promotion!...
- Witch Rising: Release Day and Cover Blitz GIVEAWAY...
- An Incurable Insanity by Simi K. Rao
- Upcoming Twitter Chat!
- Marking Time by April White
- Roses in Ecuador by Heather Huffman
- HarperCollins' News and Giveaways!
- Best of 2013 Giveaway Hop!
- Flick: Excerpt and Giveaway!
- Kirby Puckernut and the Christmas Surprise Giveawa...
- The Christmas Train: Spotlight and Giveaway!
- Kindle Fire Giveaway December 2013!
- Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight
- How Wendy Redbird Dancing Survived the Dark Ages o...
- A Walk One Winter Night by Al Andrews
- Hollow City Trailer!
- Credara by JE Henderson
- Help Choose a Book to be Published!
- Chat with Sophie Jordan at 3 PM EST/ 2 PM CST
- Here Are a Bunch of Great Titles and Why To Read T...
- What titles are you looking forward to at ALA?
- The Hardest Thing in This World by Nicole Eva Fras...
- Gunpowder Tea by Margaret Brownley
- Try out the Harlequin Scavenger Book Hunt!
- Sneak Peak Into Empower by Jessica Shirvington!
- ▼ December (57)
- ► 2012 (816)