Control by Lydia Kang
Posted by Krystal Larson at 12:00 AM Monday, December 16, 2013
An un-putdownable thriller for fans of Uglies
When a crash kills their father and leaves them orphaned, Zel knows she needs to protect her sister, Dyl. But before Zel has a plan, Dyl is taken by strangers using bizarre sensory weapons, and Zel finds herself in a safe house for teens who aren’t like any she’s ever seen before—teens who shouldn't even exist. Using broken-down technology, her new friends’ peculiar gifts, and her own grit, Zel must find a way to get her sister back from the kidnappers who think a powerful secret is encoded in Dyl’s DNA.
A spiraling, intense, romantic story set in 2150—in a world of automatic cars, nightclubs with auditory ecstasy drugs, and guys with four arms—this is about the human genetic “mistakes” that society wants to forget, and the way that outcasts can turn out to be heroes.
Zel and Dyl are sisters who truly care about each other in an unusual circumstance. In the very beginning of the book tragedy strikes and they lose their father...then Dyl is taken away and Zel is placed in an odd housing situation with unusual teens. The plot is fast-paced and the author has a way of preventing the reader from putting the book down.
My favorite character was Zel. I liked that she faced regular and odd issues. She had some problems with how she looked and overall body image and that made her character feel like someone I might know and call a friend. That aspect really made her easier to relate to. I enjoyed the idea of hidden genetic talents or traits that sets someone aside and makes them special. I didn't feel like I knew or wanted to know Dyl much more than the fact that Zel tries so hard to retrieve her sister and so clearly loves her. I thought the romance parts made the book a little more fun and put a different perspective on a few of the characters. At the end of the book I was heartened to learn that there might be a sequel. This book is recommended for young adult/teen readers.
Find this book:
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews. COPYRIGHT © 2014 LIVE TO READ
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (371)
- ► 2015 (312)
- ► 2014 (408)
- The Blossoming Universe of Violet Diamond by Brend...
- The In-Between by Barbara Stewar
- MOA by Tricia Stewart Shiu
- Fire & Flood by Victoria Scott
- Cress by Marissa Meyer
- Unforgotten by Jessica Brody
- 15 Winter Reads: Book Blast and Giveaway!
- The Winter Witch by Paula Brackston: Blog Tour!
- Midwinter's Eve Giveaway Hop!
- Notes of a Tourist on Planet Earth by J.D. Smith
- The Fountain Of The Earth by H.L. Le Roy
- Boring: Finding an Extraordinary God in an Ordinar...
- Sunkissed by Carys Jones
- The Holdout by Laurel Osterkamp
- Weight Loss Surgery: The Real Skinny by Nick Nicho...
- The Terrorists' Apprentice by Walter Craig
- The Witch by W.C. James
- The Pleasure of Memory by Welcome Cole
- Antiphon (The Psalms of Isaak Book 3) by Ken Schol...
- Canticle (The Psalms of Isaak book #2) by Ken Scho...
- Visions of Fire & Ice: Excerpt and Giveaway!
- The Children Who Time Lost by Marvin Amazon
- To Know You by Shannon Ethridge and Kathryn Mackel...
- The Facebook Diet by Gemini Adams
- Be Sure To Buy A Print Copy of Be With Me!
- Lamentation by Ken Scholes
- Good Faith by Liz Crowe: Promo and Giveaway!
- December Book News: Rachel Silberman Edition!
- Twisted by Holly Hook: Promo and Teaser!
- The Balborite Curse: Promo and Giveaway!
- Control by Lydia Kang
- The Scandal in Kissing an Heir: Excerpt and Giveaw...
- Through The Oracle's Mist: GIVEAWAY and Promotion!...
- Witch Rising: Release Day and Cover Blitz GIVEAWAY...
- An Incurable Insanity by Simi K. Rao
- Upcoming Twitter Chat!
- Marking Time by April White
- Roses in Ecuador by Heather Huffman
- HarperCollins' News and Giveaways!
- Best of 2013 Giveaway Hop!
- Flick: Excerpt and Giveaway!
- Kirby Puckernut and the Christmas Surprise Giveawa...
- The Christmas Train: Spotlight and Giveaway!
- Kindle Fire Giveaway December 2013!
- Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight
- How Wendy Redbird Dancing Survived the Dark Ages o...
- A Walk One Winter Night by Al Andrews
- Hollow City Trailer!
- Credara by JE Henderson
- Help Choose a Book to be Published!
- Chat with Sophie Jordan at 3 PM EST/ 2 PM CST
- Here Are a Bunch of Great Titles and Why To Read T...
- What titles are you looking forward to at ALA?
- The Hardest Thing in This World by Nicole Eva Fras...
- Gunpowder Tea by Margaret Brownley
- Try out the Harlequin Scavenger Book Hunt!
- Sneak Peak Into Empower by Jessica Shirvington!
- ▼ December (57)
- ► 2012 (816)