Why did you chose to write poetry?
I sometimes write short fiction, but I have written poetry longer. I prefer poetry because I can tell a story or capture a moment with fewer words in a compact space.
Why did you decide to start writing?
I started writing during elementary school. I kept writing after high school because it was a good way to manage emotional and physical pain.
What was your inspiration behind the book?
My book, Rhapsody for Lessons Learned or Remembered was inspired by works of art, historical events, and personal experiences.
Now you can win a copy (print) of Rhapsody of Lessons Learned or Remembered! Simply leave a comment and email address. Thanks for stopping by!
Georgia Banks-Martin walks us through an art gallery. We view art, which she has processed and questioned, through her lens: Lawrence, Monet, Van Gogh, Beardon, Sargent, Degas, to name a few of the artists. She challenges the reader to face slavery, grief, and joy, to feel the weight the South bears, to examine art across centuries for lessons. These poems revive what has been omitted in our history books—individual life stories. She uses sound, music and voice to make imagery pulse in these ekphrastic poems. In her poem “Railroad Station,” after a Jacob Lawrence: “Those leaving the towns where father and mother/labored in fields without being offered a yard of thread spun/from the cotton they pulled, have assembled./Packed: Hopes of work, three bedroom homes/water heated in water tanks, classrooms.” As memories populate her poems, so does the theme of hope permeate her book; in Death Dancing, after a Max Slevogt: “I wish memories could be buried as easily as bodies.” Rhapsody for Lessons Learned or Remembered is a book you will read again and remember as you stand face to face with art.
Julene Tripp Weaver, author of No Father Can Save Her
Where you can find and follow Georgia Ann Banks-Martin:
Poets & Writers Forum
Buy the BOOK at:
Barnes & Noble.com
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2015 (136)
- ► 2014 (407)
- ► 2013 (530)
- ► 2012 (818)
- Guest Post with Rachael Wade and chance to win a K...
- Ding Dong The Diva's Dead by Cat Melodia
- Guest Post and Giveaway With Linda Yellin!
- Guest Post with Rebecca Royce
- Banned Books Week Giveaway! September 24th to Octo...
- Guest Post and Giveaway with Michelle Franklin
- Kathryn the Grape's Colorful Adventure by Kathryn ...
- Fair Wind to Bahlia by Thomas Thorpe
- Kiss of The Night by Debbie Viguie
- Home At Last Chance by Hope Ramsay
- Home Sweet Home by Bella Riley
- Flawless by Carrie Lofty
- There You'll Find Me by Jenny B Jones
- Awake at Dawn (Shadow Falls #2) by C.C. Hunter
- Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst
- Guest Post and Giveaway with Debra Brenegan
- Favorite Banned Book Anyone?
- Beckoning Light by Alyssa Rose Ivy
- God's Eye by A.J. Scudiere
- Vengeance by A.J. Scudiere
- Resonance by A.J. Scudiere
- Guest Post and Giveaway With Amber Scott!
- Weaving Destiny (The Soulkeepers #2) by GP Ching a...
- Riptide by Cherry Adair
- Torrent by Lisa T. Bergren
- Dark Eden by Patrick Carman
- Ghosts of a Tired Universe by Jonas Samuelle
- The Arranger by L.J. Sellers Giveaway!
- Devil. May. Care. by Jolene Ballard Gutierrez
- Crossroads by Mary Ting
- Mocked by Faith Guest Post and Giveaway!
- Half-Blood Trailer!
- Dark Souls by Paula Morris
- Just Fine the Way They Are: From Dirt Roads to Rai...
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
- The Faerie Ring by Kiki Hamilton
- The Empire by Elizabeth Lang
- Crow's Row by Julie Hockley
- The Snowman's Revenge by Mark Smythe Illustrations...
- Meggie Brooks by Daphne Woods
- Young Adult Fest!
- I am Now a Member of B2B
- Small Blogs, Big Giveaways!
- Perfectly Crazy by Mitzi Penzes
- Chronicles of the Apocalypse: Revenge, Everything ...
- Rhapsody of Lessons Learned or Remembered by Georg...
- What is He Thinking??: What Guys Want Us to Know ...
- 18 & Over Book Blogger Giveaway Hop!
- Guest Post and Giveaway with Patti Roberts!
- Chocolicous by Geraldine Solon
- Weight of the World (Old Wounds, #3) by N.K. Smith...
- The Wounded Heart by Adina Senft
- Fateful by Cheri Schmidt
- The Wayward Life and Times of a Dipsy Doodle Dandy...
- Jarred Into Being by Pat Lawrence
- Guest Post with Richard Bard and Giveaway of 2 Sig...
- Guest Post with Zachery Richardson!
- Bloodlands by Christine Cody
- inSyte Guest Post with Greg Kiser and Giveaway!
- The Matchmaker's Mark by Regan Black
- Giveaway on Total Bookaholic!
- Awesome Giveaway on Another Blog
- Awesome Giveaway on Another Blog!
- Guest Post and Giveaway With Kristie Cook! 2 Winne...
- Bright, Young, & Luxe Giveaway Hop
- After Obsession by Carrie Jones and Steve E Wedel
- Dark Eden is Coming!!!
- Giveaway on Another Blog
- Horse Sayings by Bradford Gordon Wheler
- Let The White Doves Soar by Robert S Dahl
- Zaftan Miscreants by Hank Quense
- Madison J Edwards Guest Post and Giveaway (over 18...
- Telling Lies by Cathy Stoler
- Fixing Cupid by Cristian YoungMiller
- Bunny and the Bear Giveaway! (18+ Entrants only pl...
- Awesome Giveaway On Another Blog
- Seers by Heather Frost
- Witch Song by Amber Argyle
- Heather Song by Michael Phillips
- Half-Blood (Covenant #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout...
- The Last Blind Date by Linda Yellin
- Brainrush: A Thriller by Richard Bard
- Quick Update
- The Willows: Haven (The Willows, #1) by Hope Colli...
- The Bird Flew Away Guest Post with Lynda M. Martin...
- Haunting Lila Rocked!
- The Santa Club by Kelly Moss Guest Post!
- Guest Post and Giveaway with Marie Harbon!
- I Didn't Ask To Be Born : (But I'm Glad I Was) by ...
- Targets of Opportunity by Jeffrey S Stephens
- Awesome Giveaway On Another Blog
- 10 Days of Giveaways!
- ▼ September (94)