The Faerie Ring by Kiki Hamilton
Posted by Krystal Larson at 11:21 PM Saturday, September 17, 2011
Debut novelist Kiki Hamilton takes readers from the gritty slums and glittering ballrooms of Victorian London to the beguiling but menacing Otherworld of the Fey in this spellbinding tale of romance, suspense, and danger.
The year is 1871, and Tiki has been making a home for herself and her family of orphans in a deserted hideaway adjoining Charing Cross Station in central London. Their only means of survival is by picking pockets. One December night, Tiki steals a ring, and sets off a chain of events that could lead to all-out war with the Fey. For the ring belongs to Queen Victoria, and it binds the rulers of England and the realm of Faerie to peace. With the ring missing, a rebel group of faeries hopes to break the treaty with dark magic and blood—Tiki’s blood.
Unbeknownst to Tiki, she is being watched—and protected—by Rieker, a fellow thief who suspects she is involved in the disappearance of the ring. Rieker has secrets of his own, and Tiki is not all that she appears to be. Her very existence haunts Prince Leopold, the Queen’s son, who is driven to know more about the mysterious mark that encircles her wrist.
Prince, pauper, and thief—all must work together to secure the treaty…
The adjective used with this book is spellbinding and spellbinding it is. Many readers will not be able to put the book down, finishing it in under four hours. The plot is one of the best spins on faeries that most readers will have seen for a long time. The events are fast-paced and exciting, particularly in the middle and the characters are so fun to read about.
The historical setting enriches the whole faerie theme, making the story slightly different from other novels with a similar theme. The romance isn't the main focus, but it develops at all the right times and is believable. The love interest actually isn't that obvious until further on in the book, the reader will be content to guess and wait though-there is more than enough going on that this part isn't missed.
The author writes very smoothly, the transitions are not the least bit choppy and everything falls neatly into place. The reader will experience the same emotions that the main character feels over certain events in the story-a large range of them too...this is, of course, a mark of a good author if she can evoke emotions in the reader. The sadder events in the book-poverty, orphans, death, etc...-are written clearly and plainly. The author handles these qualities very well, she doesn't gloss over them.
Reiker is probably the most interesting character. The reader will not be quite sure what role he is to play until further into the novel. He is enigmatic, somewhat protective, and his intentions are never quite clear. Tiki, the main character, is impressive. She literally works with what she has...and she doesn't have all that much. She is very likable and will connect with the reader easily. This book is recommended to teens/young adults/adults who enjoy escaping into a meshed world of fantasy and realism.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (371)
- ► 2015 (312)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- ► 2012 (816)
- Guest Post with Rachael Wade and chance to win a K...
- Ding Dong The Diva's Dead by Cat Melodia
- Guest Post and Giveaway With Linda Yellin!
- Guest Post with Rebecca Royce
- Banned Books Week Giveaway! September 24th to Octo...
- Guest Post and Giveaway with Michelle Franklin
- Kathryn the Grape's Colorful Adventure by Kathryn ...
- Fair Wind to Bahlia by Thomas Thorpe
- Kiss of The Night by Debbie Viguie
- Home At Last Chance by Hope Ramsay
- Home Sweet Home by Bella Riley
- Flawless by Carrie Lofty
- There You'll Find Me by Jenny B Jones
- Awake at Dawn (Shadow Falls #2) by C.C. Hunter
- Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst
- Guest Post and Giveaway with Debra Brenegan
- Favorite Banned Book Anyone?
- Beckoning Light by Alyssa Rose Ivy
- God's Eye by A.J. Scudiere
- Vengeance by A.J. Scudiere
- Resonance by A.J. Scudiere
- Guest Post and Giveaway With Amber Scott!
- Weaving Destiny (The Soulkeepers #2) by GP Ching a...
- Riptide by Cherry Adair
- Torrent by Lisa T. Bergren
- Dark Eden by Patrick Carman
- Ghosts of a Tired Universe by Jonas Samuelle
- The Arranger by L.J. Sellers Giveaway!
- Devil. May. Care. by Jolene Ballard Gutierrez
- Crossroads by Mary Ting
- Mocked by Faith Guest Post and Giveaway!
- Half-Blood Trailer!
- Dark Souls by Paula Morris
- Just Fine the Way They Are: From Dirt Roads to Rai...
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
- The Faerie Ring by Kiki Hamilton
- The Empire by Elizabeth Lang
- Crow's Row by Julie Hockley
- The Snowman's Revenge by Mark Smythe Illustrations...
- Meggie Brooks by Daphne Woods
- Young Adult Fest!
- I am Now a Member of B2B
- Small Blogs, Big Giveaways!
- Perfectly Crazy by Mitzi Penzes
- Chronicles of the Apocalypse: Revenge, Everything ...
- Rhapsody of Lessons Learned or Remembered by Georg...
- What is He Thinking??: What Guys Want Us to Know ...
- 18 & Over Book Blogger Giveaway Hop!
- Guest Post and Giveaway with Patti Roberts!
- Chocolicous by Geraldine Solon
- Weight of the World (Old Wounds, #3) by N.K. Smith...
- The Wounded Heart by Adina Senft
- Fateful by Cheri Schmidt
- The Wayward Life and Times of a Dipsy Doodle Dandy...
- Jarred Into Being by Pat Lawrence
- Guest Post with Richard Bard and Giveaway of 2 Sig...
- Guest Post with Zachery Richardson!
- Bloodlands by Christine Cody
- inSyte Guest Post with Greg Kiser and Giveaway!
- The Matchmaker's Mark by Regan Black
- Giveaway on Total Bookaholic!
- Awesome Giveaway on Another Blog
- Awesome Giveaway on Another Blog!
- Guest Post and Giveaway With Kristie Cook! 2 Winne...
- Bright, Young, & Luxe Giveaway Hop
- After Obsession by Carrie Jones and Steve E Wedel
- Dark Eden is Coming!!!
- Giveaway on Another Blog
- Horse Sayings by Bradford Gordon Wheler
- Let The White Doves Soar by Robert S Dahl
- Zaftan Miscreants by Hank Quense
- Madison J Edwards Guest Post and Giveaway (over 18...
- Telling Lies by Cathy Stoler
- Fixing Cupid by Cristian YoungMiller
- Bunny and the Bear Giveaway! (18+ Entrants only pl...
- Awesome Giveaway On Another Blog
- Seers by Heather Frost
- Witch Song by Amber Argyle
- Heather Song by Michael Phillips
- Half-Blood (Covenant #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout...
- The Last Blind Date by Linda Yellin
- Brainrush: A Thriller by Richard Bard
- Quick Update
- The Willows: Haven (The Willows, #1) by Hope Colli...
- The Bird Flew Away Guest Post with Lynda M. Martin...
- Haunting Lila Rocked!
- The Santa Club by Kelly Moss Guest Post!
- Guest Post and Giveaway with Marie Harbon!
- I Didn't Ask To Be Born : (But I'm Glad I Was) by ...
- Targets of Opportunity by Jeffrey S Stephens
- Awesome Giveaway On Another Blog
- 10 Days of Giveaways!
- ▼ September (94)