Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst
Posted by Krystal Larson at 9:33 PM Friday, September 23, 2011
Pearl is a sixteen-year-old vampire... fond of blood, allergic to sunlight, and mostly evil... until the night a sparkly unicorn stabs her through the heart with his horn. Oops.
Her family thinks she was attacked by a vampire hunter (because, obviously, unicorns don't exist), and they're shocked she survived. They're even more shocked when Pearl discovers she can now withstand the sun. But they quickly find a way to make use of her new talent. The Vampire King of New England has chosen Pearl's family to host his feast. If Pearl enrolls in high school, she can make lots of human friends and lure them to the King's feast -- as the entrees.
The only problem? Pearl's starting to feel the twinges of a conscience. How can she serve up her new friends—especially the cute guy who makes her fangs ache—to be slaughtered? Then again, she's definitely dead if she lets down her family. What's a sunlight-loving vamp to do?
Pearl is the perfect vampire...at first. She has an impressive boyfriend, snazzy life, and tends to be good at her lessons, even the fighting ones. However, good things cannot last forever. Pearl has a bit of a stone heart. She believes she has no conscience and doesn't really care. One can only imagine her surprise when she is staked by a unicorn-a mythical creature that she didn't even knew existed!
When she wakes up from the staking, she discovers something magical in and of itself-she can now walk in the sunlight. She loves the sensation and ability. However, that ability may be detrimental...her Family may not see her as a true vampire. Her Family decides to try and use her as an asset, but they don't know how they King will take the new change. Keep in mind, her family is easily as cold-hearted as she was. Yep, that was a WAS. Due to the staking, Pearl has been changing...for the better.
Pearl is a wonderfully crafted character. The author manages to make her appear completely without a conscience in the first half of the novel...then she integrates guilty or sad emotions as Pearl experiences them. Pearl was a dynamic and fun to read about character. The secondary characters, especially the love interest, are extremely fun to get to meet as well.
The events in this book were almost all exciting, there really wasn't ONE boring part in this whole novel. The concepts of the vampire and unicorn did not come off as cheesy at all. The ending was perfect, left a little to the imagination. The reader will be happy with this author's latest book. This book is recommended for young adult/teen readers.
Buy This Book:
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2013 (529)
- ► 2012 (818)
- Guest Post with Rachael Wade and chance to win a K...
- Ding Dong The Diva's Dead by Cat Melodia
- Guest Post and Giveaway With Linda Yellin!
- Guest Post with Rebecca Royce
- Banned Books Week Giveaway! September 24th to Octo...
- Guest Post and Giveaway with Michelle Franklin
- Kathryn the Grape's Colorful Adventure by Kathryn ...
- Fair Wind to Bahlia by Thomas Thorpe
- Kiss of The Night by Debbie Viguie
- Home At Last Chance by Hope Ramsay
- Home Sweet Home by Bella Riley
- Flawless by Carrie Lofty
- There You'll Find Me by Jenny B Jones
- Awake at Dawn (Shadow Falls #2) by C.C. Hunter
- Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst
- Guest Post and Giveaway with Debra Brenegan
- Favorite Banned Book Anyone?
- Beckoning Light by Alyssa Rose Ivy
- God's Eye by A.J. Scudiere
- Vengeance by A.J. Scudiere
- Resonance by A.J. Scudiere
- Guest Post and Giveaway With Amber Scott!
- Weaving Destiny (The Soulkeepers #2) by GP Ching a...
- Riptide by Cherry Adair
- Torrent by Lisa T. Bergren
- Dark Eden by Patrick Carman
- Ghosts of a Tired Universe by Jonas Samuelle
- The Arranger by L.J. Sellers Giveaway!
- Devil. May. Care. by Jolene Ballard Gutierrez
- Crossroads by Mary Ting
- Mocked by Faith Guest Post and Giveaway!
- Half-Blood Trailer!
- Dark Souls by Paula Morris
- Just Fine the Way They Are: From Dirt Roads to Rai...
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
- The Faerie Ring by Kiki Hamilton
- The Empire by Elizabeth Lang
- Crow's Row by Julie Hockley
- The Snowman's Revenge by Mark Smythe Illustrations...
- Meggie Brooks by Daphne Woods
- Young Adult Fest!
- I am Now a Member of B2B
- Small Blogs, Big Giveaways!
- Perfectly Crazy by Mitzi Penzes
- Chronicles of the Apocalypse: Revenge, Everything ...
- Rhapsody of Lessons Learned or Remembered by Georg...
- What is He Thinking??: What Guys Want Us to Know ...
- 18 & Over Book Blogger Giveaway Hop!
- Guest Post and Giveaway with Patti Roberts!
- Chocolicous by Geraldine Solon
- Weight of the World (Old Wounds, #3) by N.K. Smith...
- The Wounded Heart by Adina Senft
- Fateful by Cheri Schmidt
- The Wayward Life and Times of a Dipsy Doodle Dandy...
- Jarred Into Being by Pat Lawrence
- Guest Post with Richard Bard and Giveaway of 2 Sig...
- Guest Post with Zachery Richardson!
- Bloodlands by Christine Cody
- inSyte Guest Post with Greg Kiser and Giveaway!
- The Matchmaker's Mark by Regan Black
- Giveaway on Total Bookaholic!
- Awesome Giveaway on Another Blog
- Awesome Giveaway on Another Blog!
- Guest Post and Giveaway With Kristie Cook! 2 Winne...
- Bright, Young, & Luxe Giveaway Hop
- After Obsession by Carrie Jones and Steve E Wedel
- Dark Eden is Coming!!!
- Giveaway on Another Blog
- Horse Sayings by Bradford Gordon Wheler
- Let The White Doves Soar by Robert S Dahl
- Zaftan Miscreants by Hank Quense
- Madison J Edwards Guest Post and Giveaway (over 18...
- Telling Lies by Cathy Stoler
- Fixing Cupid by Cristian YoungMiller
- Bunny and the Bear Giveaway! (18+ Entrants only pl...
- Awesome Giveaway On Another Blog
- Seers by Heather Frost
- Witch Song by Amber Argyle
- Heather Song by Michael Phillips
- Half-Blood (Covenant #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout...
- The Last Blind Date by Linda Yellin
- Brainrush: A Thriller by Richard Bard
- Quick Update
- The Willows: Haven (The Willows, #1) by Hope Colli...
- The Bird Flew Away Guest Post with Lynda M. Martin...
- Haunting Lila Rocked!
- The Santa Club by Kelly Moss Guest Post!
- Guest Post and Giveaway with Marie Harbon!
- I Didn't Ask To Be Born : (But I'm Glad I Was) by ...
- Targets of Opportunity by Jeffrey S Stephens
- Awesome Giveaway On Another Blog
- 10 Days of Giveaways!
- ▼ September (94)