Search This Blog

The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club by Duncan Whitehead

Thursday, February 21, 2013


Something is not quite right in the leafy Savannah neighborhood of Gordonston. 

As the friends and fellow members of her afternoon cocktail club gather to mourn the death and lament the life of their neighbor, Thelma Miller, not all is what it seems.

When old friends vie for the attention of widower, Alderman and mayoral candidate Elliott, jealousies surface and friendships are strained. An old woman with a dark secret and an infamous uncle plots her revenge for a perceived wrong done over thirty years before, a once successful children’s writer with his own secret is haunted by memories of the past and aspiring model Kelly Hudd has just won the trip of a lifetime.

As secrets are revealed and history, both old and recent unravel, and an intertwined web of deceits and lies surfaces in the middle class neighborhood, a killer lurks and is anyone really who they seem to be? 

An enigmatic European gentleman in South America, a young Italian count parading the streets of Paris and a charitable and kindhearted nephew recently arrived from India add to the remarkable assortment of characters in this story of intrigue, deceit and revenge. 

What is the secret a recently retired accountant is trying to hide and just why did the former showgirl and attractive sixty two year old widow Carla Zipp really have plastic surgery?

A mysterious organization with links to organized crime, a handsome fire fighter who can do no wrong and a trio of widows with deep hidden agendas compound a story of simplistic complexity. As twists and turns lead the reader to a conclusion that they will not see coming and a sucker punch ending that will leave you breathless, the Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club’s top priority remains the need to chastise the culprit who refuses to ‘scoop’ after his dog walking sessions in their treasured park.


Goodreads Summary



Are all neightborhoods boring? Do you really know what is going on behind closed doors and drawn shades? Author Duncan Whitehead manages to craft a convincing tale where nothing is as it seems and one might not know one’s neighbors as well as he/she thinks. When I first read the blurb for The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club (such a long title) I was thoroughly confused. So many stories were going on in four huge paragraphs, I didn’t think this would be a book for me. I was 100% wrong. It’s a great mystery! I don’t really read the genre, but this one kept me on my toes. Every page was addicting and fun to read. It was hard to tell what was going to happen next, secrets were everywhere and events popped up that you didn’t see coming. The characters worked well together… relationships were interesting and never forced. Sometimes, I think authors just put characters in a relationship because it helps the mystery and that’s really it. However, Whitehead included them to make the book more in depth. I overall  enjoyed this book… I usually end up guessing the end, but this time I’m pleased to say it was a complete surprise.

5/5 Stars 

** Reviewed by Rachel **



This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

7 comments:

  1. Unknown said...:

    Okay so this doesn't look like something I would usually read...but that's why I'm willing to try it...hopefully I'll like it as much as you did

  1. Sounds deliciously gossipy, in a grown up way. Going on my TBR list!

  1. I'm not a Mystery reader either, but this synopsis really grabbed me. It's good to know you aren't a fan either, so maybe I will pick this up

  1. Oooh...this sounds so good! I love a good mystery. And I am always wondering what really goes on behind closed doors. This book is right up my alley!

  1. Unknown said...:

    Thank you for the review! I am glad you enjoyed it and the twists kept you on your toes! The book is now $2.99 everywhere and a sequel has been written...thank you for not giving away the ending.....

  1. Diana said...:

    Sounds like a fun read! :)

  1. Susan T. said...:

    I am a huge mystery reader so this sounds awesome! Cute cover too!