My Mad Fat Diary by Rae Earl
Posted by Krystal Larson at 7:50 PM Monday, April 11, 2016
It's 1989 and Rae Earl is a fat, boy-mad 17-year-old girl, living in Stamford, Lincolnshire with her mum and their deaf white cat in a council house with a mint green bathroom and a refrigerator Rae can't keep away from. She’s also just been released from a psychiatric ward. My Mad Fat Diary is the hilarious, harrowing and touching real-life diary Rae kept during that fateful year and the basis of the hit British television series of the same name now coming to HULU. Surrounded by people like her constantly dieting mum, her beautiful frenemy Bethany, her mates from the private school up the road (called “Haddock”, “Battered Sausage” and “Fig”) and the handsome, unattainable boys Rae pines after (who sometimes end up with Bethany…), My Mad Fat Diary is the story of an overweight young woman just hoping to be loved at a time when slim pop singers ruled the charts. Rae's chronicle of her world will strike a chord with anyone who's ever been a confused, lonely teenager clashing with her parents, sometimes overeating, hating her body, always taking herself VERY seriously, never knowing how positively brilliant she is and keeping a diary to record it all. My Mad Fat Diary – 365 days with one of the wisest and funniest girls in England.
Rae is a funny, larger-than-life character who will let the reader into her life and take the reader on a bit of a journey. She's a true character and one with a distinct and unforgettable personality. It's tough being a teenager and it's even harder when you have crushes that aren't reciprocated and a body that isn't ideal according to the media. She has some friends that attend a private school and her mom is always dieting (and wanting to put her on a diet). She has several interesting stories from a mental hospital to her deaf cat. The book is written as if to a friend and the what Rae has to say will resonate with the reader and potentially remind the reader of his/her own difficult years. The author has a way of making the reader feel as if he/she is experiencing every humiliating, funny, and sad event as if it was him/her instead of Rae. The book is a pretty quick read and doesn't have to be read super quickly (it is a diary after all). Overall, teen/young adult readers will find this a good read.
3 1/2 Stars
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews. COPYRIGHT © 2014 LIVE TO READ
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- Suffer Love by Ashley Herring Blake: Guest Post an...
- AVON CELEBRATES LANDMARK ANNIVERSARIES
- The Rose & The Dagger by Renee Ahdieh: Excerpt and...
- Outcast by Dianne Noble: Guest Post and Giveaway!
- Save Me, Kurt Cobain by Jenny Manzer
- The Leaving Season by Cat Jordan
- The Violinist of Venice: A Story of Vivaldi by Aly...
- Ride Hard by Laura Kaye
- Midnight in Berlin by James Macmanus
- Summer of Supernovas by Darcy Woods
- Camp Alien by Gini Koch
- Seal for Her Protection by Paige Tyler: Excerpt an...
- Love Unrestricted: Anthology- Sale Blitz!
- Our Love Grows Written and Illustrated by Anna Pig...
- Sale Blitz: Temptation by Kelsey Karson
- What She Left by T.R. Richmond
- Model Attraction by Sharon C Cooper: Promo and Giv...
- Island in the Sea by Anita Hughes
- Cruel Water by Freya Barker: Excerpt and Giveaway!...
- My Mad Fat Diary by Rae Earl
- Her Deviant Lord by Layna Pimentel: Promo!
- And It Was Beautiful: Celebrating Life in the Mids...
- Playing the Part by Jen Turano
- The Land of 10,000 Madonnas by Kate Hattemer
- Frosted Sweets by A.M. Willard: Sale/Tease Me Thur...
- Black Diamond by Ali Dean: Release Blitz!
- Down To My Soul by Kennedy Ryan: Promo and Giveawa...
- Frosted Sweets by A.M. Willard on Sale for .99 Cen...
- The Lifeboat Clique by Kathy Parks
- Jurassic Classics: The Prehistoric Masters of Lite...
- Lord Bachelor by Tammy L. Bailey: Blitz!
- #AWTeen Twitter Chat!
- Don't Get Caught by Kurt Dinan: Guest Post and Giv...
- ▼ April (33)
- ► 2015 (312)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- ► 2012 (816)