Midnight in Berlin by James Macmanus
Posted by sailingaway at 9:03 PM Sunday, April 24, 2016
In 1939, British Colonel Noel Macrae, stationed in Berlin and witness to the rise of the Reich, decides that he might be the only Englishman with the opportunity to avert war. As he attempts to convince the British government of his mission, the colonel becomes torn between his government's orders and his own personal beliefs, especially as he falls in love with a German-Jewish woman. Blackmailed by the Nazis, the woman and her family have faced unspeakable horrors, and the colonel must do whatever it takes to help her escape.
But the colonel doesn't know that the Gestapo have formed a plan of their own. Aware of the colonel's intense hatred of the Nazi regime, the Gestapo work to draw him into a fabricated plot against Hitler. As the colonel finds himself caught up in a tangled web of shifting loyalties, corruption, and shocking indifference, he soon realizes he must find a way to hold on to his sense of humanity to save not only the woman he loves but also himself.
Inspired by true events and characters, James MacManus's Midnight in Berlin is a love story set against a world on the brink of war that will leave you in awe of the human capacity for self-sacrifice and resilience.
This book explores a revolutionary "what if" in the times of world war two. What if the conspirators against Hitler and the Reich had set their plans into motion sooner? Would less people have died? Would the war have lasted a shorter period of time? In this story, our main character Macre is on a mission to avert war and save a woman he met in the most unlikely place, a brothel.
Macre holds the world on his shoulders in a time when the world itself was on the brink of collapse. I can only imagine what the man must have been thinking when he had to constantly sort out who was on his side and who was just trying to distract him from his ultimate mission. I love and hate that the author gave him so many things to consider as time goes on in the story. I love it because you truly get a grip of the struggle and stress that the man is under from his own government and who he thinks are his allies in his plot against Hitler. I hate it because when I try to put myself in this man's shoes, I can never imagine doing it myself. The chemistry between Macre and Sara is insatiable and you will fall in love with their budding relationship and find yourself rooting for things to work out between them. People who find themselves also in love with historical possibilities will feel right at home in the pages of this book. I would definitely recommend it.
Reviewed by Chris
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews. COPYRIGHT © 2014 LIVE TO READ
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- Suffer Love by Ashley Herring Blake: Guest Post an...
- AVON CELEBRATES LANDMARK ANNIVERSARIES
- The Rose & The Dagger by Renee Ahdieh: Excerpt and...
- Outcast by Dianne Noble: Guest Post and Giveaway!
- Save Me, Kurt Cobain by Jenny Manzer
- The Leaving Season by Cat Jordan
- The Violinist of Venice: A Story of Vivaldi by Aly...
- Ride Hard by Laura Kaye
- Midnight in Berlin by James Macmanus
- Summer of Supernovas by Darcy Woods
- Camp Alien by Gini Koch
- Seal for Her Protection by Paige Tyler: Excerpt an...
- Love Unrestricted: Anthology- Sale Blitz!
- Our Love Grows Written and Illustrated by Anna Pig...
- Sale Blitz: Temptation by Kelsey Karson
- What She Left by T.R. Richmond
- Model Attraction by Sharon C Cooper: Promo and Giv...
- Island in the Sea by Anita Hughes
- Cruel Water by Freya Barker: Excerpt and Giveaway!...
- My Mad Fat Diary by Rae Earl
- Her Deviant Lord by Layna Pimentel: Promo!
- And It Was Beautiful: Celebrating Life in the Mids...
- Playing the Part by Jen Turano
- The Land of 10,000 Madonnas by Kate Hattemer
- Frosted Sweets by A.M. Willard: Sale/Tease Me Thur...
- Black Diamond by Ali Dean: Release Blitz!
- Down To My Soul by Kennedy Ryan: Promo and Giveawa...
- Frosted Sweets by A.M. Willard on Sale for .99 Cen...
- The Lifeboat Clique by Kathy Parks
- Jurassic Classics: The Prehistoric Masters of Lite...
- Lord Bachelor by Tammy L. Bailey: Blitz!
- #AWTeen Twitter Chat!
- Don't Get Caught by Kurt Dinan: Guest Post and Giv...
- ▼ April (33)
- ► 2015 (311)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- ► 2012 (818)