Kevin by Paul Kupperberg
Posted by Kierra at 3:41 PM Sunday, September 1, 2013
Kevin Keller, the first openly gay character in the history of Archie Comics, premiered last fall to an overwhelming favorable response. He will star in his own series of comics starting in June and his story will continue in this special paper-over-board novel to be released in time for Gay Pride (June 2012). This book is a perfect gift for anyone who loves Archie Comics or just wants to feel good about themselves.
My mom introduced us to "Archie" comics. I loved them-the characters, the stories, and the illustrations. This new book has the flavor of the "Archie" comics that I love, but it's a little too different for me to be comfortable with right away. The "Little Archie" strips were so much fun. I liked to see how they looked as kids.
Kupperberg's "Kevin takes us back to Kevin as a little kid, but there are no colorful drawings. The story isn't silly and fun. I liked Kevin; he's straight-forward, honest, and well-meaning. There are shades of Reggie as the bully, Eliot Kingman; but Reggie had redeeming qualities. I was looking for characters like Veronica, Betty, and Jughead in Kupperberg's story too; they are there, but they're not as good.
On its own, the story has a strong message from loyalty and caring toward friends to support and understanding from parents.Kevin's character is likeable. However, I have trouble blending this story and the Kevin character into the "Archie" group that I've known and loved for years. I think my lack of enthusiasm has more to do with its being a novel, rather than the comic that I'm used to. But it is difficult to see this story as belonging to my favorite comic. The message is a little too for my fun Archie gang.
3 1/2 stars
"Reviewed by Colleen"
Find this book:
Barnes and Nobles
The Book Depository
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (371)
- ► 2015 (312)
- ► 2014 (408)
- Eventide by Shelley Shephard Gray
- Beautiful Battlefields By: Bo Stern
- Sweet Dreams by Carla Stewart
- Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay
- Unthinkable by Nacy Werlin
- Wild Cards by Simone Elkeles
- Interview and Giveaway for Conjured by Sarah Beth ...
- Barefoot Summer by Denise Hunter
- Broken is $4.99 as an ebook!
- The Last Gentle Dentist Spotlight!
- Banned Book Giveaway Hop!
- Chat with Gayle Forman-author of Just One Day!
- Afloat by Erin Healy
- Pennsylvania Patchwork by Kate Lloyd
- Barefoot Summer by Denise Hunter
- The Bare Naked Truth by Bekah Martin
- Rocky Road Book Blast!
- Little Fish Book Feature and Giveaway!
- Preview an Episode of Wild Cards by Simone Elkeles...
- The Reluctant Bachelorette is FREE on Amazon!
- The Fallout by S.A. Bodeen: Guest Post!
- The House That Love Built by Beth Wiseman
- Six Months Later by Natalie D. Richards
- Brooklyn Girls by Gemma Burgess
- Leon's Lair by The Phoenix Blitz
- Champion: Excerpt and Book Trailer!
- Mystery Box Giveaway!
- Browse Not A Drop to Drink
- Have You Heard of Phoenix Overture?
- Check Out Spindlers!
- Free Ebook Series!
- Insight by Terron James
- Trafficked by Sophie Hayes
- Thirteen by Kelley Armstrong
- What's New at Sourcebooks?
- Single Effort by Joe Keller
- Laura Lamont's Life in Pictures by Emma Straub
- Back Before Dark by Tim Shoemaker
- Counting by 7's Blog Tour!
- Kevin by Paul Kupperberg
- ▼ September (40)
- ► 2012 (816)