Sweet Dreams by Carla Stewart
Posted by Kierra at 1:00 PM Saturday, September 28, 2013
It's 1962, and Dusty Fairchild, daughter of a self-made millionaire and oilman, wants to go to college. Instead she is sent to a private finishing school in East Texas. Although she's never wanted for material possessions, Dusty longs for independence and adventure. The only upside to attending Miss Fontaine's is having her cousin and best childhood friend, Paisley, join her. Paisley has traveled the country with her bohemian mother, but she dreams of putting down roots and living a settled life. At Miss Fontaine's, their loyalty to each other binds them, but when they fall in love with the same handsome young man, their relationship teeters on shaky ground. Only after a tragic accident do they learn where their true hearts-and dreams-lie.
Dusty and Paisley are cousins and best friends that had very different lifestyles. Dusty
grew up sheltered and without a mother; as an adult, she now wants to attend college and
become a geologist. Finishing school and a marriage are what Dusty’s father has planned for
her instead. Paisley thinks she is fated to follow her mother all over the map forever, leaving
one bad situation only to find another, in vain attempts to gain stardom. Flint Fairchild, Dusty’s
father, loves Dusty and Paisley. After Dusty asks if her cousin can attend Miss Fontaine’s
finishing school, Flint is happy to pay Paisley’s tuition. At the school, the girls learn about
themselves, face their fears, and test the strength of their relationship.
Dusty and Paisley are strong young women that have goals they worry may be
impossible to achieve. Geology is not a “typical” major of southern girls, and Paisley’s unstable
upbringing has led her to believe she cannot establish herself in a community. Dusty and
Paisley are girls that I might meet during a class or when spending time with my friends. Carla
Stewart’s writing is smooth and descriptive; I could easily picture the beautiful house where
Miss Fontaine holds her etiquette classes and the opulent stores where the girls shopped.
Lovers of coming-of-age stories or readers who like to read about unbreakable friendship will
love Sweet Dreams.
"Reviewed by Chelsea"
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
Find This Book:
Barnes and Nobles
The Book Depository
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (327)
- ► 2015 (311)
- ► 2014 (408)
- Eventide by Shelley Shephard Gray
- Beautiful Battlefields By: Bo Stern
- Sweet Dreams by Carla Stewart
- Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay
- Unthinkable by Nacy Werlin
- Wild Cards by Simone Elkeles
- Interview and Giveaway for Conjured by Sarah Beth ...
- Barefoot Summer by Denise Hunter
- Broken is $4.99 as an ebook!
- The Last Gentle Dentist Spotlight!
- Banned Book Giveaway Hop!
- Chat with Gayle Forman-author of Just One Day!
- Afloat by Erin Healy
- Pennsylvania Patchwork by Kate Lloyd
- Barefoot Summer by Denise Hunter
- The Bare Naked Truth by Bekah Martin
- Rocky Road Book Blast!
- Little Fish Book Feature and Giveaway!
- Preview an Episode of Wild Cards by Simone Elkeles...
- The Reluctant Bachelorette is FREE on Amazon!
- The Fallout by S.A. Bodeen: Guest Post!
- The House That Love Built by Beth Wiseman
- Six Months Later by Natalie D. Richards
- Brooklyn Girls by Gemma Burgess
- Leon's Lair by The Phoenix Blitz
- Champion: Excerpt and Book Trailer!
- Mystery Box Giveaway!
- Browse Not A Drop to Drink
- Have You Heard of Phoenix Overture?
- Check Out Spindlers!
- Free Ebook Series!
- Insight by Terron James
- Trafficked by Sophie Hayes
- Thirteen by Kelley Armstrong
- What's New at Sourcebooks?
- Single Effort by Joe Keller
- Laura Lamont's Life in Pictures by Emma Straub
- Back Before Dark by Tim Shoemaker
- Counting by 7's Blog Tour!
- Kevin by Paul Kupperberg
- ▼ September (40)
- ► 2012 (818)