Generations ago, a genetic experiment gone wrong—the Reduction—decimated humanity, giving rise to a Luddite nobility who outlawed most technology.
Eighteen-year-old Luddite Elliot North has always known her place in this caste system. Four years ago Elliot refused to run away with her childhood sweetheart, the servant Kai, choosing duty to her family’s estate over love. But now the world has changed: a new class of Post-Reductionists is jumpstarting the wheel of progress and threatening Luddite control; Elliot’s estate is floundering; and she’s forced to rent land to the mysterious Cloud Fleet, a group of shipbuilders that includes renowned explorer Captain Malakai Wentforth—an almost unrecognizable Kai. And while Elliott wonders if this could be their second chance, Kai seems determined to show Elliot exactly what she gave up when she abandoned him.
But Elliot soon discovers her childhood friend carries a secret—-one that could change the society in which they live…or bring it to its knees. And again, she’s faced with a choice: cling to what she’s been raised to believe, or cast her lot with the only boy she’s ever loved, even if she has lost him forever.
Inspired by Jane Austen’s PERSUASION, FOR DARKNESS SHOWS THE STARS is a breathtaking romance about opening your mind to the future and your heart to the one person you know can break it.
In a post-apocalyptic world, Elliot North is only 18 but has been the head of herfamily’s estate all through her teens. Although she questions many of the tenets of her Luddite upbringing, she has never questioned her duty to provide work, food, and safety to the Reduced and Post-Reductionists living on the North lands. This duty has caused her to put up with her aristocratic, grasping father and selfish, thoughtless sister. It has also caused her to lose her best friend and sweetheart, a Post servant boy named Kai. When Kai returns as a captain of the Postgroup called the Cloud Fleet, Elliot is conflicted about her role on the estate and her desire to finally find freedom and love with Kai…especially since the people who once needed help are becoming less genetically damaged than they had been in the past. In fact, the Posts can run her estate.
In the secret letters which provide descriptions of their past friendship, I liked both Kai and Elliot. Their sincere friendship, intellectual curiosity, kindheartedness, and friendly banter/competition are fun to read. When Kai returns with new friends and new technologies, his deliberate attempts to avoid her cause pain and confusion. The last letter she finds in the barn knothole is a perfect ending and a perfect beginning. The subject of modification of genes and anatomy is an interesting one. It mirrors questions most students and adults probably ask as they learn about genetically altered crops, cloning, human growth hormone treatments, etc… Finding out that Peterfreund’s new book is loosely based on Jane Austen’s Persuasion couldn’t give me a reference for the plot or characters since I haven’t read Persuasion yet. However, the world she creates caused me to wonder about the repercussions of playing “God”…and made me glad that people, like her characters, would still be people –good, bad, selfish, caring, lazy, or whatever.
Find this book:
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository
*Reviewed by Colleen*
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (323)
- ► 2015 (311)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund
- The Midwife of Venice by
- Review and Giveaway!: 365 Days! (USA)
- Huge Blogoversary (belated) Giveaway! (USA/CAN)
- Entice Cover Reveal!
- Betrayed Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Giveaway: In Leah's Wake By Terri Long
- Frequent Traveller Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Guest Post by Author Janey Beasley!
- Fair Game by Patricia Briggs
- Splash Into Summer Giveaway Hop!
- Summer Essentials Blog Tour!!! Guest Posts and Giv...
- Golden Chariot by Chris Karlsen: Review and INTERN...
- In Leah's Wake by Terri Long Excerpt and Charity P...
- Of Poseidon by Anna Banks: Review, Guest Post, and...
- Wish You Were Here by Beth K. Vogt
- Guest Post by Heather Huffman *Free ebook!*
- Fated by Alyson Noel
- Spirit Fighter by Jerel Law
- Starters by Lissa Price
- Crazy Dangerous by Andrew Klavan
- New Girl by Paige Harbison
- Colors Like Memories Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Diamond Jubilee Celebration Hop!
- Guest Post by Author Hillary Peak!
- Current Giveaways!
- Guest Post By Zoraida Cordova
- The Vicious Deep by Zoraida Cordova
- Swipe by Evan Angler
- Sunrise Point by Robyn Carr
- The Nose Knows by Holly L. Lewitas
- Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors by Molly Har...
- Beauty by Lisa Daily
- The Beauty Book by Nancy Rue
- The 7% Solution: You Can Afford a Comfortable Reti...
- The Lily Series: Here's Lily! by Nancy Rue
- Waking Storms by Sarah Porter
- Calico Joe by John Grisham
- Between the Duke and the Deep Blue Sea by Sophia N...
- Charlinder's Walk by Alyson Miers: review and give...
- Love In Bloom Giveaway Hop!
- Solution Squared Series by Mike Fontenot
- Research, or how to avoid annoying your readers by...
- A Beautiful Medicine by David Mercier
- Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter: Review and Gi...
- Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
- What Really Matters by Karen M. Wyatt, M.D.
- Shadow's Edge by Jami Gray Giveaway: Comment to wi...
- Rock of Ivanore Bookblast and Giveaway!
- Guest Post: How Adversity Turns into Inspiration b...
- Forever Hilltop (An Unlikely Blessing & Surprising...
- Hell Hath No Fury by Bill Blais Cover Reveal!
- Searching for Sassy by Alyson Mead
- Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
- Lucky Fools by Coert Voorhees
- The Selection by Kiera Cass
- The Calling by Kim O'Neill
- Overseas by Beatriz Williams
- Who Loves Gamehouse?
- Happy Mother's Day Kindle Fire Giveaway!
- A Bunch of Giveaways! Many International-Gift Car...
- Struck by Jennifer Bosworth
- In Leah's Wake by Terri Long Excerpt and Giveaway ...
- College Boys: Men of Holsum College 1 Review and $...
- Children's Book Week Giveaway Hop!
- Tilt A Whirl Booth Giveaway!
- Forever by Cheri Schmidt
- Silence by Michelle Sagara
- Burn Mark by Laura Powell
- Underworld by Meg Cabot
- Kings & Queens Book Blast and Giveaway!!!
- Kings & Queens Book Blast and Giveaway On Monday!
- Shadow On The Wall by Pavarti K. Tyler
- Elemental by Emily White
- The Girl In The Park by Mariah Fredericks
- Saving You, Saving Me by Kailin Gow
- Unspent Time Launch Party!!! (Giveaways!)
- What She Left Behind by Tracy Bilen
- Random Acts Guest Post and $25 Barnes and Noble Gi...
- Giveaway! Autographed Set of Books! USA
- First Comes Love Giveaway! (USA)
- Writing a romance novel and baking a dessert have ...
- Ferocity Summer by Alissa Grosso
- When You Were Mine by Rebecca Serle
- The Last Princess by Galaxy Craze
- The Boo Hag by David Morgan
- Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin
- Rebel McKenzie by Candice F. Ransom
- Author Contest!
- Finding My Faith Guest Post and $15 Gift Card Give...
- Stories My Mother Told Me . . . and the Ones She N...
- Elemental Book Blast Promotion and Giveaway!
- Sway by Amber McRee Turner
- Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris
- The Temptation by Alisa Valdes
- While He Was Away by Karen Schreck
- Miracle by Elizabeth Scott
- ▼ May (99)