Search This Blog

Guest Post by Author Janey Beasley!

Saturday, May 26, 2012


If Janet could live in a fantasy world,
we asked her what it would be like.
Without hesitation she answered:


"My log cabin (with a hot tub on the porch and a fireplace in the gathering room) would be built rather far off a dirt road where tame wildlife is abundant. My bed and pillow would be so soft I'd sink ever so deeply encasing myself in the fluffiness. The continuous aroma of a north woods forest and plumerias combined would float on the breeze. The trees would never lose their leaves, only change to brilliant colors in autumn then back to green in summer. Flowers would grow in whimsical bouquets. Spider webs with dew drops would be my jewelery. Clear water rivers would run effortlessly through the land (the absolute best for kayaking) ending up in calm lakes lined with stately trees and foliage for water fowl to build their nests. Fluorescent illuminated aquatic species and plants would bring light from the depths to the top of the waters. There would be a dock at the end of every path that leads to the water's edge. At the end of each dock would be a few log chairs with plush seat pads and a table to place a drink. There would be a magic wand on each dock table too - just for creating fireworks or auroras in the evening skies. Sounds of numerous waterfalls of every size toppling from mogul hills and mountain tops would tickle the ears. Snow would never be cold. Birds would land in my hand singing their songs, and I would understand their words. The sky would be pink, purple, blue, amber, and gold. The twin suns would warm my bones during the day, and the three moons would tell me it's time for bed at night as they swooned me with their vocal lullabies. Sprites would be my daily guides through the woods. Fireflies would light my path in the evening. Of course my family and friends would be welcome anytime and could stay as long as they'd like. I would have my soul mate Don and canine companions by my side. Let's see, did I forget anything? Oh yeah...and there would be an endless supply of chocolate and sweet berries."



Synopsis for HIDDEN EARTH Series Volume 1 Maycly:

Maycly is a world everyone longs to experience, but for Iona, left alone to fend for herself, Maycly has become a fading dream. After years of endless searching for her missing family, she had all but given up hope. But the Grand Wizard, SUL, had a plan.

An epic tale of Good versus Evil, Maycly is filled with adventure, trials, love, and epic battles, along with fantastic flora, creative creatures, and characters that come to life. Will Iona discover her true destiny? Will she ever find her missing family? Is Maycly bound to an existence of Evil for eternity? What will happen to Earth? Only the tales of HIDDN EARTH hold the answers.

Your epic journey begins with Volume 1, Maycly.


~Janet~

EXCERPT:


Bewildered, Iona cut loose again with her gift of chattering. “Let’s see…today I’ve seen a…a…gnome-like guy pop out of a cloud and leave a Dream Decanter on my nightstand. It spewed musical fog that my feet and legs are now dangling in causing my legs to heal. And let’s not forget the three-inch-long buzzing something…whose name, by the way, was apparently Jit? And he…she…I think it was a he…had a face like a human and wings like a dragonfly that he used to fly by my eyes leaving a trail of sparkles. Then he disappeared into the cloud with the little gnome guy…man…thing. I opened a magic letter signed by SUL, and now my birthmark is warm. Are you kidding me?”
     She tried to put all of the recent events together. The poem on the card faded. It and the envelope burst into flames in her hand, making her jump. “Too weird. It didn’t burn me. Well, that was interesting.”
     She went silent, pondering to herself. I will never see this place again. Though it might have been guilt forcing these feelings, she wanted to believe she was truly thankful for the provisions she had received.
     “Yap! Yap! Yap! YOWLY-WOWEEE!” barked Wiskee.
     “Well, there’s another new noise from you. I guess you’re getting a little anxious? All I can say is, it’s a good thing you can’t talk because you’d chatter on more than me!” Iona calmed her small dog, Wiskee, with her touch. “OK. OK. I’m on it.”
     She brushed her hands together and resituated herself on the bed. She thought about her job—she was no longer going to be visiting those in need, and this troubled her.
     “I will see to it they are cared for.” Iona could not believe she was hearing what she thought was SUL’s audible voice again.
     She looked at Wiskee and whispered, “And we’ll never see our strange but lovable friend, Dumpster Man, again.” She had grown quite fond of him.
     With his nose, Wiskee pushed her hand toward the Dream Decanter, but she was still admiring the apartment. “Holy smokes! I can’t leave those!” She jumped from the bed and gathered the only remaining tangible memories of her family and put them safely in the waistband of her pajama bottoms.
     She sat back down on the bed and clutched Wiskee under her arm without thinking. He made the noises to let her know she was holding him a little too tight.
     “Oh, I’m sorry little buddy.” She loosened her grip.
     Saying goodbye to her home was all too familiar and unpleasant. Iona closed her eyes and silently beckoned. Please let this be true. Please, SUL, I want to trust You with all my heart, and believe that You will take me to my family. She reached for the Dream Decanter, never letting Wiskee out of her grasp, and did just as the poem had instructed.
     Window shades dropped with a whoosh and a thud. Iona freaked and spoke from the pitch dark, “I didn’t know we had window shades.” All of the outside noises ceased; the silence was spooky.
     Guarding Wiskee with her life, she crossed her legs underneath her and felt the bed begin slowly turning and moving upward through the darkness. She was afraid of hitting the ceiling but was also afraid to jump because she did not know how high they really were. She reached high above her head and felt nothing. “STAY PUT WISKEE!” She hated to let go of him, but was concerned at their height. Carefully she stood on the bed but could not feel anything above them; she knew she could reach the ceiling if she stood on the bed. Frightened she sat back down and immediately grabbed Wiskee. If we’re floating in space, where are the stars? Where’s the moon? What are we…suspended in time?
     With her next breath she gagged. “What is that awful smell. Ack! That certainly isn’t roses! This can’t be right.” She saw what she thought was a fireball heading toward them. It came up fast from below and just missed the bed on its rapid ascent. Iona screamed. The fireball fizzled out high above their heads like a dud firework. She tossed the Dream Decanter to her pillow and scooted to the center of the bed, not letting Wiskee out of her tight grasp. She felt him trembling.
     She had always longed for adventure, but this was not exactly the adventure she had pictured in her mind. Somberly Iona spoke into the darkness, “What have I done?”


*MAYCLY ON AMAZON: Hidden Earth Series by Janet Beasley
*URL:  HiddenEarthSeries
*BLOG #1: JLBCreatives Blog
*BLOG #2: Live Events And Productions
*FACEBOOK: JLBCreatives
 *TWITTER: http://twitter.com/JLBCreatives - @JLBCreatives
 *PINTREST: JLB Creatives = Janet Beasley
 *LINKEDIN: http://www.linkedin.com/in/janetbeasley
 *FLICKR - Free photos from Janet: Janet's Scenic Nature Photography

8 comments:

  1. Love the cover!!! Added your book to my TBR!! Thanks for posting!! :)

  1. Unknown said...:

    The cabin retreat sounds lovely. I really enjoyed the excerpt.
    Thanks for sharing!

  1. The cover certainly caught my attention. I think I would enjoy the log cabin too. A great excerpt thank you

  1. The cover is great!!! and i can't wait to read the book!

  1. Noellie said...:

    Hi! :) I just stumbled upon your blog from a goodread's post in a blogger's group. Nice to meet you and I really like your blog :)

  1. Wall said...:

    I had to laugh at your dream cabin. My dream vacation is just like that except add snow, all the food I need, an unending supply of wood, no bugs or rodents, and a huge supply of books with nothing to do but wander in the woods and read for a minimum of two weeks (well I wouldn't mind having my husband along as long as he wasn't bugging me while I read.

  1. Brionna said...:

    I love the cover of the book!

    Winteriscoming28(at)yahoo(dot)com

    Thanks so much!

  1. Thanks for the great excerpt and for the image of the retreat. You have me dreaming of cabins and hot tubs :)