Struck by Jennifer Bosworth
Posted by Krystal Larson at 4:00 AM Tuesday, May 8, 2012
Los Angeles, where lightning rarely strikes, is one of the few places Mia feels safe from her addiction. But when an earthquake devastates the city, her haven is transformed into a minefield of chaos and danger. The beaches become massive tent cities. Downtown is a crumbling wasteland, where a traveling party moves to a different empty building each night, the revelers drawn to the destruction by a force they cannot deny. Two warring cults rise to power, and both see Mia as the key to their opposing doomsday prophecies. They believe she has a connection to the freak electrical storm that caused the quake, and to the far more devastating storm that is yet to come.
Mia wants to trust the enigmatic and alluring Jeremy when he promises to protect her, but she fears he isn’t who he claims to be. In the end, the passion and power that brought them together could be their downfall. When the final disaster strikes, Mia must risk unleashing the full horror of her strength to save the people she loves, or lose everything.
Have you ever imagined what it would be like to be struck by lightening? Would you be afraid or in pain...or would you come to crave it? Mia Price may not be the most interesting girl in the world, but she has been struck by lightening repeatedly and loves it. In a world where there is devastation after devastation, Mia continues to wreak havoc upon herself. It is ironic really, as Mia's internal turmoil is indicative of the outside world. Mia worries about her depressed mother and unruly brother. She worries whether her family has enough food and if they are safe. She tries to be the logical one, but cannot possibly hold everything together.
As religious zealots take to the streets praising the one they worship and another group forms against them, Mia must decide which, if any, group she wants to join. Jeremy, an enigmatic young teenager, arrives on the scene in the nick of time. He seems to represent possible danger to Mia, at first, but when the reader gets to know him, he is difficult not to like. Is Mia in danger from even those she trusts?
Overall, this book was a fast read. The author manages to write with an underlying tension that sets the scene for the whole novel. The scenes range from the scary to the exhilarating to the sad. The reader will root for Jeremy and Mia while simultaneously hoping that Mia will emerge unscathed from this relationship. The other characters are fun to meet, though the reader will certainly not like all of them. There is a lot of religious symbols and meaning in this book, but the author mainly utilizes them with regards to the religious fanatic group. There are several twists in the plot line and the ending will both "shock" and please the reader. This book is recommended to young adult/teen readers.
Find this book:
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (366)
- ► 2015 (312)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund
- The Midwife of Venice by
- Review and Giveaway!: 365 Days! (USA)
- Huge Blogoversary (belated) Giveaway! (USA/CAN)
- Entice Cover Reveal!
- Betrayed Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Giveaway: In Leah's Wake By Terri Long
- Frequent Traveller Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Guest Post by Author Janey Beasley!
- Fair Game by Patricia Briggs
- Splash Into Summer Giveaway Hop!
- Summer Essentials Blog Tour!!! Guest Posts and Giv...
- Golden Chariot by Chris Karlsen: Review and INTERN...
- In Leah's Wake by Terri Long Excerpt and Charity P...
- Of Poseidon by Anna Banks: Review, Guest Post, and...
- Wish You Were Here by Beth K. Vogt
- Guest Post by Heather Huffman *Free ebook!*
- Fated by Alyson Noel
- Spirit Fighter by Jerel Law
- Starters by Lissa Price
- Crazy Dangerous by Andrew Klavan
- New Girl by Paige Harbison
- Colors Like Memories Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Diamond Jubilee Celebration Hop!
- Guest Post by Author Hillary Peak!
- Current Giveaways!
- Guest Post By Zoraida Cordova
- The Vicious Deep by Zoraida Cordova
- Swipe by Evan Angler
- Sunrise Point by Robyn Carr
- The Nose Knows by Holly L. Lewitas
- Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors by Molly Har...
- Beauty by Lisa Daily
- The Beauty Book by Nancy Rue
- The 7% Solution: You Can Afford a Comfortable Reti...
- The Lily Series: Here's Lily! by Nancy Rue
- Waking Storms by Sarah Porter
- Calico Joe by John Grisham
- Between the Duke and the Deep Blue Sea by Sophia N...
- Charlinder's Walk by Alyson Miers: review and give...
- Love In Bloom Giveaway Hop!
- Solution Squared Series by Mike Fontenot
- Research, or how to avoid annoying your readers by...
- A Beautiful Medicine by David Mercier
- Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter: Review and Gi...
- Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
- What Really Matters by Karen M. Wyatt, M.D.
- Shadow's Edge by Jami Gray Giveaway: Comment to wi...
- Rock of Ivanore Bookblast and Giveaway!
- Guest Post: How Adversity Turns into Inspiration b...
- Forever Hilltop (An Unlikely Blessing & Surprising...
- Hell Hath No Fury by Bill Blais Cover Reveal!
- Searching for Sassy by Alyson Mead
- Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
- Lucky Fools by Coert Voorhees
- The Selection by Kiera Cass
- The Calling by Kim O'Neill
- Overseas by Beatriz Williams
- Who Loves Gamehouse?
- Happy Mother's Day Kindle Fire Giveaway!
- A Bunch of Giveaways! Many International-Gift Car...
- Struck by Jennifer Bosworth
- In Leah's Wake by Terri Long Excerpt and Giveaway ...
- College Boys: Men of Holsum College 1 Review and $...
- Children's Book Week Giveaway Hop!
- Tilt A Whirl Booth Giveaway!
- Forever by Cheri Schmidt
- Silence by Michelle Sagara
- Burn Mark by Laura Powell
- Underworld by Meg Cabot
- Kings & Queens Book Blast and Giveaway!!!
- Kings & Queens Book Blast and Giveaway On Monday!
- Shadow On The Wall by Pavarti K. Tyler
- Elemental by Emily White
- The Girl In The Park by Mariah Fredericks
- Saving You, Saving Me by Kailin Gow
- Unspent Time Launch Party!!! (Giveaways!)
- What She Left Behind by Tracy Bilen
- Random Acts Guest Post and $25 Barnes and Noble Gi...
- Giveaway! Autographed Set of Books! USA
- First Comes Love Giveaway! (USA)
- Writing a romance novel and baking a dessert have ...
- Ferocity Summer by Alissa Grosso
- When You Were Mine by Rebecca Serle
- The Last Princess by Galaxy Craze
- The Boo Hag by David Morgan
- Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin
- Rebel McKenzie by Candice F. Ransom
- Author Contest!
- Finding My Faith Guest Post and $15 Gift Card Give...
- Stories My Mother Told Me . . . and the Ones She N...
- Elemental Book Blast Promotion and Giveaway!
- Sway by Amber McRee Turner
- Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris
- The Temptation by Alisa Valdes
- While He Was Away by Karen Schreck
- Miracle by Elizabeth Scott
- ▼ May (99)