Guest Post by Heather Huffman *Free ebook!*
Posted by Krystal Larson at 1:15 AM Wednesday, May 23, 2012
Suddenly a Spy is free for Kindle users through the 26th of May!
I always knew that Conrad Langston and Rachel Cooper needed their own story, and I wanted to call it Devil in Disguise. I can’t really say why I wanted that to be the title; I just did. Of course, that’s usually how my books wind up with their titles – they simply come to me while I’m typing up the notes.
I also knew, though I have no idea how or why, that the premise of the story would be that Rachel Cooper’s little sister had been taken by human traffickers. The rest was kind of a blur, so I let it simmer in my brain while I worked on other stories.
To my surprise, it wasn’t long after I began using my books to raise awareness for human trafficking that I began hearing from readers who wanted to put me in touch with various organizations involved in the fight. One such organization was Project Liberty, and from my first meeting with them I knew I wanted to do anything I could to aid them in their cause: recovering our children from human traffickers.
It was through this relationship with Project Liberty that I learned the stories of various recoveries they’d been on. I changed names and specific details to protect the real people behind the stories, and in a few spots I adapted the stories to make them fit in the world I’d created, but the hope is that having real cases at the root of the stories and situations in Devil in Disguise adds a sense of realism to the novel.
Another organization referred to me by a reader is The Covering House, which is a shelter for girls under the age of 18 who have been rescued from human trafficking. I met with a representative for their organization and was impressed with both their dedication to helping victims and with how much they’ve accomplished in such a short time. (I’m currently trying to help raise money for The Covering House. If you can help me with this, click here. All amounts are appreciated!)
One of the things I quickly realized when speaking with The Covering House was that the desperate need for housing for trafficking victims has not been exaggerated. If anything, it’s been understated. That need is something I speak to in Devil in Disguise.
Personally, when I look at the big picture in human trafficking, I get overwhelmed. I feel helpless. When I break it down into something smaller, I start to think maybe we can win this fight. It’s a fight worth winning.
So, while I address all aspects of human trafficking in the talks I give at schools and churches, and while I’ll continue to support organizations that come at the issue from many angles, I’ve begun to narrow the focus of my own endeavors down to two areas: recovering and housing victims.
Sometimes, I feel like a Chihuahua nipping at the heels of a Mastiff; there are days it feels like my work is futile. But then there are times I hear from a mother that she’s now watching her teenager’s friend list online, or a teenager tells me they’ve created their own social media awareness campaign, and I think that maybe even the Chihuahua can find the Mastiff’s Achilles heel.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (332)
- ► 2015 (311)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund
- The Midwife of Venice by
- Review and Giveaway!: 365 Days! (USA)
- Huge Blogoversary (belated) Giveaway! (USA/CAN)
- Entice Cover Reveal!
- Betrayed Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Giveaway: In Leah's Wake By Terri Long
- Frequent Traveller Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Guest Post by Author Janey Beasley!
- Fair Game by Patricia Briggs
- Splash Into Summer Giveaway Hop!
- Summer Essentials Blog Tour!!! Guest Posts and Giv...
- Golden Chariot by Chris Karlsen: Review and INTERN...
- In Leah's Wake by Terri Long Excerpt and Charity P...
- Of Poseidon by Anna Banks: Review, Guest Post, and...
- Wish You Were Here by Beth K. Vogt
- Guest Post by Heather Huffman *Free ebook!*
- Fated by Alyson Noel
- Spirit Fighter by Jerel Law
- Starters by Lissa Price
- Crazy Dangerous by Andrew Klavan
- New Girl by Paige Harbison
- Colors Like Memories Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Diamond Jubilee Celebration Hop!
- Guest Post by Author Hillary Peak!
- Current Giveaways!
- Guest Post By Zoraida Cordova
- The Vicious Deep by Zoraida Cordova
- Swipe by Evan Angler
- Sunrise Point by Robyn Carr
- The Nose Knows by Holly L. Lewitas
- Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors by Molly Har...
- Beauty by Lisa Daily
- The Beauty Book by Nancy Rue
- The 7% Solution: You Can Afford a Comfortable Reti...
- The Lily Series: Here's Lily! by Nancy Rue
- Waking Storms by Sarah Porter
- Calico Joe by John Grisham
- Between the Duke and the Deep Blue Sea by Sophia N...
- Charlinder's Walk by Alyson Miers: review and give...
- Love In Bloom Giveaway Hop!
- Solution Squared Series by Mike Fontenot
- Research, or how to avoid annoying your readers by...
- A Beautiful Medicine by David Mercier
- Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter: Review and Gi...
- Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
- What Really Matters by Karen M. Wyatt, M.D.
- Shadow's Edge by Jami Gray Giveaway: Comment to wi...
- Rock of Ivanore Bookblast and Giveaway!
- Guest Post: How Adversity Turns into Inspiration b...
- Forever Hilltop (An Unlikely Blessing & Surprising...
- Hell Hath No Fury by Bill Blais Cover Reveal!
- Searching for Sassy by Alyson Mead
- Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
- Lucky Fools by Coert Voorhees
- The Selection by Kiera Cass
- The Calling by Kim O'Neill
- Overseas by Beatriz Williams
- Who Loves Gamehouse?
- Happy Mother's Day Kindle Fire Giveaway!
- A Bunch of Giveaways! Many International-Gift Car...
- Struck by Jennifer Bosworth
- In Leah's Wake by Terri Long Excerpt and Giveaway ...
- College Boys: Men of Holsum College 1 Review and $...
- Children's Book Week Giveaway Hop!
- Tilt A Whirl Booth Giveaway!
- Forever by Cheri Schmidt
- Silence by Michelle Sagara
- Burn Mark by Laura Powell
- Underworld by Meg Cabot
- Kings & Queens Book Blast and Giveaway!!!
- Kings & Queens Book Blast and Giveaway On Monday!
- Shadow On The Wall by Pavarti K. Tyler
- Elemental by Emily White
- The Girl In The Park by Mariah Fredericks
- Saving You, Saving Me by Kailin Gow
- Unspent Time Launch Party!!! (Giveaways!)
- What She Left Behind by Tracy Bilen
- Random Acts Guest Post and $25 Barnes and Noble Gi...
- Giveaway! Autographed Set of Books! USA
- First Comes Love Giveaway! (USA)
- Writing a romance novel and baking a dessert have ...
- Ferocity Summer by Alissa Grosso
- When You Were Mine by Rebecca Serle
- The Last Princess by Galaxy Craze
- The Boo Hag by David Morgan
- Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin
- Rebel McKenzie by Candice F. Ransom
- Author Contest!
- Finding My Faith Guest Post and $15 Gift Card Give...
- Stories My Mother Told Me . . . and the Ones She N...
- Elemental Book Blast Promotion and Giveaway!
- Sway by Amber McRee Turner
- Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris
- The Temptation by Alisa Valdes
- While He Was Away by Karen Schreck
- Miracle by Elizabeth Scott
- ▼ May (99)