Search This Blog

The Selection by Kiera Cass

Saturday, May 12, 2012
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


Goodreads Summary

This book is wow worthy.  The reader will be placed into a strange and different world.  A world that has caste levels and predetermined fates for most of the population.  America is a level Five, one of the lower levels, and her family are artists, entertainers, etc...  Typically, one must marry within one's caste, one should aim to marry above oneself.  America is in love with a lower level boy.  She sees past all of the castes and fancies herself deeply in love.

However, the Prince must marry and whomever he chooses becomes a coveted level One.  America cannot believe it, but she finds herself selected as a potential wife for the prince.  At first, she tries to refuse, but it is her secret boyfriend who pushes her into trying.  When she arrives at the palace, she is surprised and slightly horrified by the splendor and extravagance.  She expects the Prince to be vain, but finds out that he is a only a boy-and a nice one at that. 

America's character was easy to like and relate to.  She is brave, brash, and clever.  This book does have a bit of a love triangle, don't count America's "secret boyfriend" out.  The reader will likely not know who to root for, America's secret boyfriend or the Prince.  The novel is very fast-paced, some avid readers may finish in a day.  The book is both predictable and surprising.  The reader will love that there is a sequel!  This is one book you can't miss if you are a teen/young adult readers.

5 Stars

Find this book:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository


This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

11 comments:

  1. roro said...:

    i so need this
    gr8 review

  1. I need to read this!

    Great review! :)

  1. Carina said...:

    I remember the first reviews for THE SELECTION being quite mixed, but recently I've read so many positive reviews, like yours, that I'm really regretting that I haven't picked it up yet. Hoping I'll get to it soon. Thanks for sharing!

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

  1. Thank you! Don't worry too much about what everyone thinks, get the book yourself and decide =)

  1. Addie R. said...:

    I've read so many mixed reviews of this lately, I don't know what to expect when I read it. Great review.

  1. Shelby said...:

    Can't wait to read this one...thanks for the review!
    ~Shelby
    http://gobsandgobsofbooks.blogspot.com/

  1. lbraley said...:

    i have heard mixed reviews on this one. I guess I am going to have to read and decide myself.

  1. Jackie said...:

    Even though I've heard mixed reviews about this book I decided to pick up a copy myself and I ended up loving it! Can't wait for book 2!!

  1. I have been dying to get my hands on this book for months!!! I desperatelt want to read it ASAP!! :D

  1. Ntzee said...:

    This book has been on my TBR for a while! cant wait to get my copy..

  1. Brionna said...:

    This book seems so interesting. I love the cover!