When James Cameron's vision of a movie, "Titanic," made it to the screen, who would've known just how popular it would become? Now there's a new mystery thriller that puts the luxury liner of doom in the near future with suspenseful results. It's the year 2012, and bestselling mystery novelist Trevor Hughes has just about completed his next big book when old friend Harlan Astor announces that he's spent hundreds of millions of dollars to stage one of the biggest publicity shows in history: he's built a new Titanic, an exact replica of the 1912 version. This tweaks Trevor's writerly instincts, and in short order, he breaks up with his girlfriend and heads out for Poland to board the maiden voyage of this colossal remake. Even Kate Winslet is on hand to christen the ship, and the media are eating it up. But why did Astor do this, and why did he handpick the people who are boarding this remarkable ship? First-time novelist Bill Walker rings all the bells and blows all the whistles as he sets sail with his maiden voyage déjà vu, TITANIC 2012.
Trevor and Julia, a therapist, are on the verge of splitting because Trev can't quite commit to her. When he tells her about his buddy Astor's plan to launch a new Titanic, this breaks them apart completely. She thinks Astor has a tremendous, foolish ego to spend millions on such a goofy idea, but Trev is excited by the idea of writing the story of the new luxury liner full of specially chosen passengers. Trev boards the much-hyped remake of the liner, and begins to interview the various members of its crewandpassenger list. There is something truly mysterious about the folk on board, but when he meets Madeleine Regehr in a Winslet-like pose at the front of the ship, he forgets any doubts he has: Trevor is smitten. He and Maddy try to keep from falling in love, but the romance of the Titanic is impossible to resist. Still, the mystery as to why Harlan Astor, the descendant of the Astor who went down with the original Titanic, has brought in these particular people to fill his ship begins to take its toll on Trev, and he must know why Maddy and the others are there.
Walker has written a delightful story full of romantic possibilities with a key mystery surrounding the new Titanic. This is not a whodunit sort of mystery, but a mystery of romantic adventure and the transcendance of love over death and the Titanic lore is fun to revisit along with the gentle homage to James Cameron's movie with Leonardo diCaprio and Kate Winslet.
Trevor Hughes is not your typical character. He is unhappy, depressed, and a tad on the crazy side at times. The book definitely follows James Cameron's movie, but with added twists and mysteries. The reader will love the mysteries in this novel, there are a few main ones and a few subplot mysteries. How did Trevor survive the "second sailing" of the Titanic? What do the others have to say about his sudden appearance? What really happened in Titanic's last few hours?
There is a little bit of romance. Ironically, the reader will likely be so taken with the mystery and tension that he/she will not even focus too much on the romance. The reader will connect easily to Trevor, he is a flawed character, but very interesting. The other love interest is not as easy to connect to, but a pretty good character too. The author takes time to develop Trevor and his connection to this ship and past. The pages will fly as the novel picks up towards the bitter end. The way the author ties up the loose ends and finishes the book will likely surprise and satisfy the reader. After reading this book, a reader will want to take the time to watch the movie. This book is recommended to adult readers.
Barnes and Noble
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- Stepping Out of my Comfort Zone for Research Guest...
- Mother's Day Giveaway Event!!!
- Spring Fling Giveaway Hop!
- My Jewelry Box Giveaway!
- On Board with Tess Davies: Guest Post by Claudia G...
- Excerpt from Enchanted by Alethea Kontis Read by t...
- Fairy Tale Giveaway Hop!
- Dark Days Wrap-Up and Giveaway!
- Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins Author or This or Tha...
- Pretty Crooked by Elisa Ludwig and Giveaway!
- Pretty Crooked Book Blast!
- Supergirl Mixtapes by Meagan Brothers
- Storm by Brigid Kemmerer
- The Caves of Etretat by Matt Chatelain *Leave a co...
- Guest Post by Author Jess C Scott
- Excerpt of Playing the Genetic Lottery by Terri M...
- Pretty Crooked by Elisa Ludwig Book Blast and Give...
- The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda Review and Guest Post!
- Romancing Memories by John Zunski
- Until Tuesday: A Wounded Warrior and the Golden Re...
- Blogger Event Sign-Ups!!!
- The House of Women by Anne Brear: Free Kindle Eboo...
- Avon Impulse Call For Submissions!
- Meg Cabot Read-Along Coming Up!
- RT Giveaway (6 Winners)!
- Showers of Books Giveaway!
- Don't Forget the Dark Days Giveaway (3 books USA w...
- Breaking Beautiful by Jennifer Shaw Wolf
- BEA 2012
- RT Contest: Get More Entries!
- The Gates by Rachael Wade
- Taylor Mali's "You Know" Poem
- Free Kindle Ebook!
- Kersten Kelly Spotlight and Guest Post
- Cover Reveal and Excerpt!
- The Inspiration for Charlie: A Love Story
- Best Staged Plans by Claire Cook
- Daughters For a Time by Jennifer Handford
- The Shifters of 2040 Free on Amazon!
- Amaranth Free on Amazon!
- Seven Point Eight Free In Kindle Store!
- Dyson Housewarming Giveaway Sign-Ups!
- Iron King by Julie Kagawa
- Shop 4 Used Cars
- Fat Is the New 30: The Sweet Potato Queens' Guide ...
- Riley Mack and the Other Known Troublemakers by Ch...
- Are You Ready For Dark Days?
- Enter the awesome $200 Rainy Day Facebook Frenzy!
- Baroness by Susan May Warren
- Autism Awareness Giveaway Hop! (USA/CAN)
- The Big Fun Sexy Sex Book Excerpt/Video and Giveaw...
- Send Me To BEA :D!
- Favorite Character(s) by P.I. Barrington
- Explorer X Beta by LM Preston
- Taken At Dusk by C.C. Hunter
- The Wedding Dress by Rachel Hauck
- The House of Order by John Paul Jaramillo and Give...
- Excerpt of The Proposal by Mary Balogh!
- The Number (Zincian Legend #2) by Sheenah Freitas
- What are the mistakes you see in beginner writers?...
- The Sword of Senack by EC Stilson
- Don't Miss Out!
- Book Wedge Review and Giveaway!
- THAT Dream Wedding Contest!
- Eternus by Kimberli Reynolds
- Castle in The Air – Sequel to Howl’s Moving Castle...
- Paris In Love!
- Vote for Me :D!
- River's Call by Melody Carlson
- Titanic 2012 by Bill Walker
- Heaven In Her Arms by Catherine Hickem
- Song of My Heart By: Kim Vogel Sawyer
- The Rose of Winslow Street by Elizabeth Camden
- The Calling by Kelley Armstrong
- Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin #1) by R.L. LaFever...
- Sykosa Excerpt!
- Turning Guilt Trips into Joy Ridesb y Shirley Bros...
- By the Light of the Silvery Moon By: Tricia Goyer
- Dreamsleeves by Coleen Murtagh Paratore
- The Last Echo by Kimberly Derting
- Magic Under Stone by Jaclyn Dolamore
- Return to Eden by G.P. Ching Review and Giveaway!
- The Last Romanov by Dora Levy Mossanen
- The Springsweet by Saundra Mitchell
- Glimmer by Phoebe Kitanidis
- The Money Saving Mom's Budget Tour!
- ▼ April (88)