A favorite character is an elusive thing. On one hand you have a character that captivates you as author and hopefully does the same for your readers. On the other hand, there are other characters that make you love them against your will. Not only that, but if you're a prolific writer, there develops a carousel of characters that revolve around your love for them, moving in and out of your awareness but all demanding attention.
Funny thing about that is, an author loves their characters—all their characters. You love them because of their personalities, their heroism, and their sense of humor in the direst of situations. When I first wrote Crucifying Angel, I loved my heroine, Payce Halligan. She struggled with enormous guilt and dealt with it by slightly compulsive target practice; she's dead serious about her job and shies away from any type of new relationships—especially the one that's creeping up on her with her new partner, British Ex-Detective Chief Inspector, Gavin McAllister. Speaking of tall dark and British, Gavin's hard not to love. He too struggles under enormous guilt and is in Las Vegas desperately trying to run away from it. Problem is he's completely out of his element and not just the weather, lol! And Nick Kincaid and Amy Smart in Miraculous Deception? They're definitely part of the comic relief of that crime thriller—cracking jokes and making fun of each other literally under terrifying conditions. They both started out as negative characters threatening the growing relationship between Payce and Gavin but by the third book, Final Deceit, I loved them both and had tremendous fun writing them!
Khai Zafara my heroine in Inamorata Crossing, I loved from the start. She kicked ass from the first line and slowly softened through her memories of her father's murder and Teyrnan Sajan as her literal savior and romantic interest. I loved Khai for her strength and tenderness and Teyrnan for his unshakable sense of humor and ability to irritate Khai no matter how she tries to ignore him. There's nowhere for them to go but toward each other.
And finally, my latest and so far biggest love is Isadora DayStar. She too, like all my others, labors under huge guilt, the deepest guilt of them all. She deals with her horrendous self-reproach by her addiction to the drug Ingentin, ironically the cause of the guilt in the first place. That addiction takes her to the lowest places in her life from prostitution of the most debasing kind to humiliation by her peers. And yet there's this hidden strength that she doesn't know she has; that makes her able to sacrifice herself for another person. It's when she's at her lowest point that she's at her best. I guess I have a thing for underdogs, those who appear weak but are truly strong where it counts the most.
Which character is my favorite? None and all of them, how can you choose? Each of them is special, with individual traits, personalities, foibles, and mistakes—each one is different from the others both in appearance and temperament. Which one is the most fun? That's easy. Whichever one I'm writing at the moment!
Facebook.com: P.I. Barrington and/or P.i.Barrington
TheWriterLimits blog: http://thewriterlimitsauthors.blogspot.com/
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- Stepping Out of my Comfort Zone for Research Guest...
- Mother's Day Giveaway Event!!!
- Spring Fling Giveaway Hop!
- My Jewelry Box Giveaway!
- On Board with Tess Davies: Guest Post by Claudia G...
- Excerpt from Enchanted by Alethea Kontis Read by t...
- Fairy Tale Giveaway Hop!
- Dark Days Wrap-Up and Giveaway!
- Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins Author or This or Tha...
- Pretty Crooked by Elisa Ludwig and Giveaway!
- Pretty Crooked Book Blast!
- Supergirl Mixtapes by Meagan Brothers
- Storm by Brigid Kemmerer
- The Caves of Etretat by Matt Chatelain *Leave a co...
- Guest Post by Author Jess C Scott
- Excerpt of Playing the Genetic Lottery by Terri M...
- Pretty Crooked by Elisa Ludwig Book Blast and Give...
- The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda Review and Guest Post!
- Romancing Memories by John Zunski
- Until Tuesday: A Wounded Warrior and the Golden Re...
- Blogger Event Sign-Ups!!!
- The House of Women by Anne Brear: Free Kindle Eboo...
- Avon Impulse Call For Submissions!
- Meg Cabot Read-Along Coming Up!
- RT Giveaway (6 Winners)!
- Showers of Books Giveaway!
- Don't Forget the Dark Days Giveaway (3 books USA w...
- Breaking Beautiful by Jennifer Shaw Wolf
- BEA 2012
- RT Contest: Get More Entries!
- The Gates by Rachael Wade
- Taylor Mali's "You Know" Poem
- Free Kindle Ebook!
- Kersten Kelly Spotlight and Guest Post
- Cover Reveal and Excerpt!
- The Inspiration for Charlie: A Love Story
- Best Staged Plans by Claire Cook
- Daughters For a Time by Jennifer Handford
- The Shifters of 2040 Free on Amazon!
- Amaranth Free on Amazon!
- Seven Point Eight Free In Kindle Store!
- Dyson Housewarming Giveaway Sign-Ups!
- Iron King by Julie Kagawa
- Shop 4 Used Cars
- Fat Is the New 30: The Sweet Potato Queens' Guide ...
- Riley Mack and the Other Known Troublemakers by Ch...
- Are You Ready For Dark Days?
- Enter the awesome $200 Rainy Day Facebook Frenzy!
- Baroness by Susan May Warren
- Autism Awareness Giveaway Hop! (USA/CAN)
- The Big Fun Sexy Sex Book Excerpt/Video and Giveaw...
- Send Me To BEA :D!
- Favorite Character(s) by P.I. Barrington
- Explorer X Beta by LM Preston
- Taken At Dusk by C.C. Hunter
- The Wedding Dress by Rachel Hauck
- The House of Order by John Paul Jaramillo and Give...
- Excerpt of The Proposal by Mary Balogh!
- The Number (Zincian Legend #2) by Sheenah Freitas
- What are the mistakes you see in beginner writers?...
- The Sword of Senack by EC Stilson
- Don't Miss Out!
- Book Wedge Review and Giveaway!
- THAT Dream Wedding Contest!
- Eternus by Kimberli Reynolds
- Castle in The Air – Sequel to Howl’s Moving Castle...
- Paris In Love!
- Vote for Me :D!
- River's Call by Melody Carlson
- Titanic 2012 by Bill Walker
- Heaven In Her Arms by Catherine Hickem
- Song of My Heart By: Kim Vogel Sawyer
- The Rose of Winslow Street by Elizabeth Camden
- The Calling by Kelley Armstrong
- Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin #1) by R.L. LaFever...
- Sykosa Excerpt!
- Turning Guilt Trips into Joy Ridesb y Shirley Bros...
- By the Light of the Silvery Moon By: Tricia Goyer
- Dreamsleeves by Coleen Murtagh Paratore
- The Last Echo by Kimberly Derting
- Magic Under Stone by Jaclyn Dolamore
- Return to Eden by G.P. Ching Review and Giveaway!
- The Last Romanov by Dora Levy Mossanen
- The Springsweet by Saundra Mitchell
- Glimmer by Phoebe Kitanidis
- The Money Saving Mom's Budget Tour!
- ▼ April (88)