For star-crossed lovers Nimira and Erris, there can be no happily ever after until Erris is freed from the clockwork form in which his soul is trapped. And so they go in search of the sorcerer Ordorio Valdana, hoping he will know how to grant Erris real life again. When they learn that Valdana has mysteriously vanished, it's not long before Nimira decides to take matters into her own hands—and begins to study the sorcerer's spell books in secret. Yet even as she begins to understand the power and limitations of sorcery, it becomes clear that freeing Erris will bring danger—if not out-and-out war—as factions within the faerie world are prepared to stop at nothing to prevent him from regaining the throne.
This long awaited novel is the perfect sequel to Magic Under Glass. The story begins exactly where it left off, but introduces new characters that further the story. Erris, the true prince of Telmirra, was released from his original prison, only to be trapped in another. His body is made of clockwork, only his face and hands seem real. Nimira believed she was saving Erris when she freed him from his original automaton body, but now feels that she has trapped him in a body that creates the illusion of life. The love Nim felt for Erris is still strong, but he is withdrawn and worries about the future Nimira could have with him as a clockwork man. The pair travel to the castle of the most powerful necromancer known to the world, Ordorio Valdana. Upon arriving, Nim and Erris learn that Erris has a niece named Violet. Valdana and Erris’s sister Melia were married and had Violet before Melia’s death. Although she is spoiled and childish, Violet has determination, willpower, and desires love. Meanwhile, Prince Belin of Telmirra has brought his father, King Luka, a jinn to do his bidding. King Luka immediately orders the jinn, Ifra, to find and capture Erris. Believed to be the last of the Tanharrows, Erris is seen as a threat to King Luka’s throne. As much as Ifra desires to escape and be free, Ifra must obey any order from his master and begins his journey to find Erris.
Every character of Magic Under Stone possesses a story and history. Even supporting characters have motivations and reasons behind their words and actions. Nimira is an admirable heroine. Brave, smart, and passionate, Nim is willing to stand by and believe in Erris despite his own hesitations. She carries the heavy burden of keeping the key that winds Erris’s clockwork body and allows him to move and speak. After spending decades trapped in an automaton, Erris suddenly has the appearance of vitality, but despite Nimira’s noble efforts, he is still entombed in a body that is devoid of true life. Erris is humorous, kindhearted, and wise. He faces many challenges, but always tries to smile and continue moving forward. Ifra wishes for freedom. Having no will to resist causes Ifra to live in fear of being forced to carry out a horrible act. Violet understands Ifra’s wish for freedom, she was forced to spend almost her entire life within her father’s castle for her safety. Dolamore created strong characters and an intriguing plot. This book is meant for an audience of girls aged 12 and up; it is easy to read and has a fast-moving plot. A great story, Magic Under Stone merits five out of five stars.
*Reviewed by Kristin*
Find this book:
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (371)
- ► 2015 (312)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- Stepping Out of my Comfort Zone for Research Guest...
- Mother's Day Giveaway Event!!!
- Spring Fling Giveaway Hop!
- My Jewelry Box Giveaway!
- On Board with Tess Davies: Guest Post by Claudia G...
- Excerpt from Enchanted by Alethea Kontis Read by t...
- Fairy Tale Giveaway Hop!
- Dark Days Wrap-Up and Giveaway!
- Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins Author or This or Tha...
- Pretty Crooked by Elisa Ludwig and Giveaway!
- Pretty Crooked Book Blast!
- Supergirl Mixtapes by Meagan Brothers
- Storm by Brigid Kemmerer
- The Caves of Etretat by Matt Chatelain *Leave a co...
- Guest Post by Author Jess C Scott
- Excerpt of Playing the Genetic Lottery by Terri M...
- Pretty Crooked by Elisa Ludwig Book Blast and Give...
- The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda Review and Guest Post!
- Romancing Memories by John Zunski
- Until Tuesday: A Wounded Warrior and the Golden Re...
- Blogger Event Sign-Ups!!!
- The House of Women by Anne Brear: Free Kindle Eboo...
- Avon Impulse Call For Submissions!
- Meg Cabot Read-Along Coming Up!
- RT Giveaway (6 Winners)!
- Showers of Books Giveaway!
- Don't Forget the Dark Days Giveaway (3 books USA w...
- Breaking Beautiful by Jennifer Shaw Wolf
- BEA 2012
- RT Contest: Get More Entries!
- The Gates by Rachael Wade
- Taylor Mali's "You Know" Poem
- Free Kindle Ebook!
- Kersten Kelly Spotlight and Guest Post
- Cover Reveal and Excerpt!
- The Inspiration for Charlie: A Love Story
- Best Staged Plans by Claire Cook
- Daughters For a Time by Jennifer Handford
- The Shifters of 2040 Free on Amazon!
- Amaranth Free on Amazon!
- Seven Point Eight Free In Kindle Store!
- Dyson Housewarming Giveaway Sign-Ups!
- Iron King by Julie Kagawa
- Shop 4 Used Cars
- Fat Is the New 30: The Sweet Potato Queens' Guide ...
- Riley Mack and the Other Known Troublemakers by Ch...
- Are You Ready For Dark Days?
- Enter the awesome $200 Rainy Day Facebook Frenzy!
- Baroness by Susan May Warren
- Autism Awareness Giveaway Hop! (USA/CAN)
- The Big Fun Sexy Sex Book Excerpt/Video and Giveaw...
- Send Me To BEA :D!
- Favorite Character(s) by P.I. Barrington
- Explorer X Beta by LM Preston
- Taken At Dusk by C.C. Hunter
- The Wedding Dress by Rachel Hauck
- The House of Order by John Paul Jaramillo and Give...
- Excerpt of The Proposal by Mary Balogh!
- The Number (Zincian Legend #2) by Sheenah Freitas
- What are the mistakes you see in beginner writers?...
- The Sword of Senack by EC Stilson
- Don't Miss Out!
- Book Wedge Review and Giveaway!
- THAT Dream Wedding Contest!
- Eternus by Kimberli Reynolds
- Castle in The Air – Sequel to Howl’s Moving Castle...
- Paris In Love!
- Vote for Me :D!
- River's Call by Melody Carlson
- Titanic 2012 by Bill Walker
- Heaven In Her Arms by Catherine Hickem
- Song of My Heart By: Kim Vogel Sawyer
- The Rose of Winslow Street by Elizabeth Camden
- The Calling by Kelley Armstrong
- Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin #1) by R.L. LaFever...
- Sykosa Excerpt!
- Turning Guilt Trips into Joy Ridesb y Shirley Bros...
- By the Light of the Silvery Moon By: Tricia Goyer
- Dreamsleeves by Coleen Murtagh Paratore
- The Last Echo by Kimberly Derting
- Magic Under Stone by Jaclyn Dolamore
- Return to Eden by G.P. Ching Review and Giveaway!
- The Last Romanov by Dora Levy Mossanen
- The Springsweet by Saundra Mitchell
- Glimmer by Phoebe Kitanidis
- The Money Saving Mom's Budget Tour!
- ▼ April (88)