Scream Catcher by Vincent Zandri
Posted by Krystal Larson at 9:47 PM Wednesday, November 30, 2011
This is how your life ends: Not with a whimper, but a scream!
Jude Parish is afraid. The former violent crimes cop turned bestselling true crime author has a fear-filled demon lodged inside of him. A demon so real he can only imagine a slimy reptilian beast with scaly skin, black eyes, and razor-sharp fangs having taken up residence inside the place where his once confident and fearless soul resided.
Now, in the wake of his literary success, the ever anxious Jude is hoping to lead a quiet, peaceful life in the idyllic Adirondack vacation town of Lake George, New York with his new pregnant wife, Rosie, and Jack, his young son from a previous marriage. But when Jude becomes the accidental witness to a bizarre “kill game” in which the killer, video game designer and master of disguise, Hector “the Black Dragon” Lennox, insists on recording the screams of his victims prior to shooting them dead, the ex-cop’s life is turned upside down.
When Lennox is arrested by the L.G.P.D. and Jude is asked to act as the state’s “star witness,” he has no choice but to fight his demon-fear and take on the role. But what he doesn’t realize at the time, is that the killer’s arrest is actually the first level in what is a carefully designed and scripted first-person video kill game that will involve his entire family as “players” and “victims.”
How will the kill game end?
Like all violent video games, it will end in death. But it won’t be “Game Over” until Hector Lennox catches the screams of his tortured victims.
“If you want a novel that runs wild like a caged beast let loose, Zandri is the man.”
—New York Post
“Probably the most arresting first crime novel to break into print this season.”
“A thriller that has depth and substance, wickedness and compassion.”
—The Times-Union (Albany)
“Vincent Zandri explodes onto the scene with the debut thriller of the year. As Catch Can is gritty, fast-paced, lyrical and haunting. Don’t miss it.”
—Harlan Coben, author of The Final Detail
“A Satisfying Yarn.”
“Compelling…As Catch Can pulls you in with rat-a-tat prose, kinetic pacing…characters are authentic, and the punchy dialogue rings true. Zandri’s staccato prose moves As Catch Can at a steady, suspenseful pace.”
—Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel
“Exciting…An Engrossing Thriller…the descriptions of life behind bars will stand your hair on end.”
—Rocky Mountain News
“Readers will be held captive by prose that pounds as steadily as an elevated pulse… Vincent Zandri nails readers’ attention.”
“A smoking gun of a debut novel. The rough and tumble pages turn quicker than men turn on each other.”
“The story line is non-stop action and the flashback to Attica is eerily brilliant. If this debut is any indication of his work, readers will demand a lifetime sentence of novels by Vincent Zandri.”
—I Love a Mystery
“A tough-minded, involving novel…Zandri writes strong prose that rarely strains for effect, and some of his scenes…achieve a powerful hallucinatory horror.”
“A classic detective tale.”
—The Record (Troy, NY)
“[Zandri] demonstrates an uncanny knack for exposition, introducing new characters and narrative possibilities with the confidence of an old pro…Zandri does a superb job creating interlocking puzzle pieces.”
—San Diego Union-Tribune
“This is a tough, stylish, heartbreaking car accident of a book: You don’t want to look but you can’t look away. Zandri’s a terrific writer and he tells a terrific story.”
—Don Winslow, author of The Death and Life of Bobby Z
The best quality of this novel was the high intensity. The reader will not have to read far before hitting plenty of action. The serial killer appears very realistic, the reader won't have to deal with a phony killer. The main character, Jude, was a likable character. He is protective, strong, and smart. The secondary characters were fun to get to know, particularly Jude's family. It isn't easy to make a character too personable in a thriller/mystery, but the author accomplishes that easily in this novel. One of Jude's best characteristics was his ability to admit his fear; too many characters are portrayed as "perfect." Jude's small imperfections were what made him so easy to like.
Many scenes were action-packed, very fast-paced. The reader will be entertained throughout the novel. There is always a note at the beginning of each chapter indicating the setting, day, and time; this is always helpful in a mystery/thriller book. The book is not very predictable, there are quite a few twists and surprises; the reader will be kept on his/her toes. Overall, this is a great book for reading on a long car drive or commute. This book is recommended to adult readers.
Find this book:
Barnes and Noble
Genre:Adult Suspense, Mystery, Thriller
Publisher: StoneGate Ink
Publication Date: August 30,2011
This is how your life ends: Not with a whimper, but a scream!
Jude Parish is afraid. The former violent crimes cop turned bestselling true crime author has a fear-filled demon lodged inside of him. A demon so real he can only imagine a slimy reptilian beast with scaly skin, black eyes, and razor-sharp fangs having taken up residence inside the place where his once confident and fearless soul resided. Now, in the wake of his literary success, the ever anxious Jude is hoping to lead a quiet, peaceful life in the idyllic Adirondack vacation town of Lake George, New York with his new pregnant wife, Rosie, and Jack, his young son from a previous marriage. But when Jude becomes the accidental witness to a bizarre “kill game” in which the killer, video game designer and master of disguise, Hector “the Black Dragon” Lennox, insists on recording the screams of his victims prior to shooting them dead, the ex-cop’s life is turned upside down.When Lennox is arrested by the L.G.P.D. and Jude is asked to act as the state’s “star witness,” he has no choice but to fight his demon-fear and take on the role. But what he doesn’t realize at the time, is that the killer’s arrest is actually the first level in what is a carefully designed and scripted first-person video kill game that will involve his entire family as “players” and “victims.” How will the kill game...
Vincent Zandri is the No. 1 International Bestselling Amazon Kindle author of THE INNOCENT, GODCHILD, THE REMAINS, MOONLIGHT FALLS, CONCRETE PEARL and the forthcoming MOONLIGHT RISES. He is also the author of the bestselling digital shorts, PATHOLOGICAL and MOONLIGHT MAFIA. Harlan Coben has described his novels as "...gritty, fast-paced, lyrical and haunting," while the New York Post called THE INNOCENT, "Sensational...Masterful...Brilliant!" In March, April and May of 2011, he sold more than 100,000 Kindle E-Books editions of his novels, and is rapidly closing in on the 200K mark all totaled. An MFA in Writing graduate of Vermont College, Zandri's work is translated into many languages including the Dutch, Russian and Japanese. An adventurer, foreign correspondent, and freelance photo-journalist for RT, Globalspec, IBTimes and more, he divides his time between New York and Florence, Italy.
Connect With Vincent:
The Next Stop:
December 5:Guest Post@ http://sithereandread.com/
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (372)
- ► 2015 (312)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- ► 2012 (818)
- A Survivor’s Guide to Kicking Cancer’s Ass by: Den...
- Scream Catcher by Vincent Zandri
- Guest Post by Author Karen Hooper (Tangled Tides)
- Writing for a Character that Doesn’t Just Cheat De...
- Winner Wonderland Giveaway!
- Broken Captive by BK Walker
- Studio Center Total Production-Check It Out!
- Precisely Terminatd by Amanda L. Davis
- Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic
- Lovable Labels!
- Cold Blood by Heather Hildenbrand
- The Paranormal Turkey Tour (Comment for a chance t...
- Cover Adoration Nov 28, 2011
- The Stay Tuned Holiday Tour
- Guest Post with Stephen Schochet
- The Sounding by Carrie Salo
- Black Friday Book Bonanza! (USA)
- Abithica by Susan Goldsmith
- A Death at the North Pole by Joel M. Andre Spotlig...
- True Grime by Natasha Deen
- Gratitude Giveaways Blog Hop
- Destined by P.C. Cast + Kristin Cast
- Rebirth by Dave Longeuay
- Awesome Giveaway on Another Blog!
- Melody Burning by Whitley Strieber
- MWF Seeking BFF by Rachel Bertsche
- Hunter of Shadows by Nancy Gideon
- Silver Sparks by Starr Ambrose
- Fateful by Claudia Gray
- 5 Reasons to Leave a Lover by Carolyn Moncel
- True Blue Tucker by Campbell Jeffreys
- 1001 Best Ways by Paul Angles
- Box of Rocks by Karla Telega
- Mayan Calendar Girls: The Great Meso-American Nove...
- Killing Rites by M.L.N. Hanover
- Vicious Grace by M.L.N. Hanover
- Darker Angels by M.L.N. Hanover
- Unclean Spirits by M.L.N. Hanover
- The Guardian's Witchild by Feather Stone
- White Lies, Black Blood by Trevor Ennis
- The Door To Far-Myst by Mike Dicerto
- Amazing Bloomsbury Ebook Prices!
- The Nine Lives of Christmas by Sheila Roberts
- Excerpts from Bloodbound and Blood's Voice by Aine...
- Cover Reveal!
- Cover Reveal!
- Destined by Jessie Harrell Book Birthday Shout Out...
- Book Excerpt: Code of Darkness by Chris Lindberg
- Win a Kindle Touch for YOU and a Friend from Trici...
- It's Simple by Michelle Richardson
- Everneath by Brodi Ashton
- Entrapped by Barbara Kyle Excerpt and Giveaway
- ARC Tours for Struck Jennifer Bosworth
- Sacrifice by Alexandrea Weis
- The Vase with the Many Coloured Marbles by Jacob S...
- Chance to Win on Another Blog!
- Archon: The Books of Raziel by Sabrina Benulis
- Joined Stumble Upon Yet?
- Poison Diaries Competition Winner!
- The Song of Unmaking by D. Barkley Briggs
- Hollywood Stories: Short, Entertaining Anecdotes a...
- Anessia's Quest by Karen Arnpriester
- Until There Was You by Kristin Higgins Review and ...
- Amazing Chance To Win All 4 Books in a Series!
- A Lasting Impression by Tamera Alexander
- Cover Adoration Nov 12, 2011
- Between the Sea and Sky by Jaclyn Dolamore Guest P...
- Guest Post with Holli Pfau
- Broken Words: The Abuse of Science and Faith In Am...
- The Alchemy of You by Patricia Copley O'Connell
- Thank You
- Want A Chance at a Dreamless ARC?
- Leanna Renee Hieber Tour Dates!
- Sign Up For The Mother's Day Gift Hop!
- Sports Time
- Because of You Ebook Giveaway (International)
- November Giveaway Hop! USA
- Guest Post and Giveaway with Ashley Wintters
- Want To Win a Signed Copy of The Poison Diaries?
- The Poison Diaries: Nightshade by Maryrose Wood an...
- My Seductive Cuba by Chen Lizra (Goodreads Author)...
- The Fix-It Shop by Frederick Alimonti
- Psyched Out by M.A. MacAfee
- Me and My Manny by M. A. Macafee
- Letters Home by Earle Kirkbride
- Interview with Author Aimee Carter of The Goddess ...
- Cover Adoration Nov 6, 2011
- Something Witchy Comes This Way by Veronica Blade
- Devil's Hand by M.E. Patterson
- For The Birds by Aaron Paul Lazar
- Two Moons of Sera by Pavarti K Tyler
- Amber Muse by Lacey Wolfe Excerpt!
- Alison Wonderland by Helen Smith
- The Book I Am Most Grateful For
- Echo Falls by Jaime McDougall
- Take a Look At This Awesome Offer!
- Absolute Obsession by C. Elizabeth
- The Niteclif Evolutions: Legacy Nurture Book Tour ...
- ▼ November (108)