|This is the second book in the Poison Diaries Series. The reader will enjoy finding out what happened to Jessamine and Weed. The novel begins innocently enough, Jessamine has recovered from her devastating fever and remains in the cottage with her father, wondering where Weed is and if he truly abandoned her. Weed has been warned away from Jessamine by Jessamine's cold-hearted father. |
This book contains twists and many thorns. Jessamine will discover several lurid se...mor
This is the second book in The Poison Diaries series and highly anticipated by many readers. Jessamine wakes up from her extreme illness-an illness she later learns the true cause of- to find that Weed has apparently abandoned her. Weed trudges through the forests, longing for Jessamine, obeying her father's orders to stay away. Not long after her recovery, Jessamine discovers a disturbing fact about her father...one that would explain her mother's rather sudden death as well as Jessamine's random illness. The story takes off from here.
Jessamine as a character is interesting. She is hard to hate, though she isn't the nicest at times; she could be considered a sympathetic character after all she has been through with her father, Weed, and angry townsfolk. The reader will have to admit that she is intelligent, brave, and one of those rare strong female characters. Weed, her love interest, is a bit of a conundrum as well. He did leave Jessamine at a vulnerable time-though the act was committed on her father's orders. He has killed-though he admits to the killings and feels very badly about it. Even though Weed could be considered to be "imperfect," that quality is part of his charm. A character need not be perfect to be liked.
The secondary characters of this novel play an interestingly large part. Jessamine will develop a second love interest in Weed's absence who will have a huge impact on her life. Weed finds a teacher who is just as eager to be taught by him-she helps him develop his talents and accept them.
The events are very fast-paced, the story is told via alternating Weed's and Jessamine's point of views-there is always something going on to occupy the reader. The ending will leave the reader wanting more and excited for the next in the series (oh, please let there be a next)! This book is highly recommended to teen/young adult readers.
Find this book:
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository
This book contains twists and many thorns. Jessamine will discover several lurid secrets and Weed will make a final decision regarding his true nature. Several new character are introduced to the reader with the most integral being Rye. Rye will become Jessamine's diversion and possible "special someone."
The characters in this novel are dynamic. Jessamine's character develops further, she finds that she might not be "all good." Weed attempts to create a useful talent from his unusual ability with plants. The story alternates as the reader follows first Jessamine's and then Weed's point of view. The secondary characters serve to round out the novel, the reader will enjoy getting to know some of them and prefer not to know some others.
The authors' style of writing is incredibly fluid and manages to incorporate many plant allusions and adjectives. The reader will form an easy connection to the likable main characters as well. This book is highly recommended to teens/young adults.
The Poison Diaries: Nightshade by Maryrose Wood and The Duchess of Northumberland
Posted by Krystal Larson at 8:00 AM Monday, November 7, 2011
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (366)
- ► 2015 (312)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- ► 2012 (818)
- A Survivor’s Guide to Kicking Cancer’s Ass by: Den...
- Scream Catcher by Vincent Zandri
- Guest Post by Author Karen Hooper (Tangled Tides)
- Writing for a Character that Doesn’t Just Cheat De...
- Winner Wonderland Giveaway!
- Broken Captive by BK Walker
- Studio Center Total Production-Check It Out!
- Precisely Terminatd by Amanda L. Davis
- Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic
- Lovable Labels!
- Cold Blood by Heather Hildenbrand
- The Paranormal Turkey Tour (Comment for a chance t...
- Cover Adoration Nov 28, 2011
- The Stay Tuned Holiday Tour
- Guest Post with Stephen Schochet
- The Sounding by Carrie Salo
- Black Friday Book Bonanza! (USA)
- Abithica by Susan Goldsmith
- A Death at the North Pole by Joel M. Andre Spotlig...
- True Grime by Natasha Deen
- Gratitude Giveaways Blog Hop
- Destined by P.C. Cast + Kristin Cast
- Rebirth by Dave Longeuay
- Awesome Giveaway on Another Blog!
- Melody Burning by Whitley Strieber
- MWF Seeking BFF by Rachel Bertsche
- Hunter of Shadows by Nancy Gideon
- Silver Sparks by Starr Ambrose
- Fateful by Claudia Gray
- 5 Reasons to Leave a Lover by Carolyn Moncel
- True Blue Tucker by Campbell Jeffreys
- 1001 Best Ways by Paul Angles
- Box of Rocks by Karla Telega
- Mayan Calendar Girls: The Great Meso-American Nove...
- Killing Rites by M.L.N. Hanover
- Vicious Grace by M.L.N. Hanover
- Darker Angels by M.L.N. Hanover
- Unclean Spirits by M.L.N. Hanover
- The Guardian's Witchild by Feather Stone
- White Lies, Black Blood by Trevor Ennis
- The Door To Far-Myst by Mike Dicerto
- Amazing Bloomsbury Ebook Prices!
- The Nine Lives of Christmas by Sheila Roberts
- Excerpts from Bloodbound and Blood's Voice by Aine...
- Cover Reveal!
- Cover Reveal!
- Destined by Jessie Harrell Book Birthday Shout Out...
- Book Excerpt: Code of Darkness by Chris Lindberg
- Win a Kindle Touch for YOU and a Friend from Trici...
- It's Simple by Michelle Richardson
- Everneath by Brodi Ashton
- Entrapped by Barbara Kyle Excerpt and Giveaway
- ARC Tours for Struck Jennifer Bosworth
- Sacrifice by Alexandrea Weis
- The Vase with the Many Coloured Marbles by Jacob S...
- Chance to Win on Another Blog!
- Archon: The Books of Raziel by Sabrina Benulis
- Joined Stumble Upon Yet?
- Poison Diaries Competition Winner!
- The Song of Unmaking by D. Barkley Briggs
- Hollywood Stories: Short, Entertaining Anecdotes a...
- Anessia's Quest by Karen Arnpriester
- Until There Was You by Kristin Higgins Review and ...
- Amazing Chance To Win All 4 Books in a Series!
- A Lasting Impression by Tamera Alexander
- Cover Adoration Nov 12, 2011
- Between the Sea and Sky by Jaclyn Dolamore Guest P...
- Guest Post with Holli Pfau
- Broken Words: The Abuse of Science and Faith In Am...
- The Alchemy of You by Patricia Copley O'Connell
- Thank You
- Want A Chance at a Dreamless ARC?
- Leanna Renee Hieber Tour Dates!
- Sign Up For The Mother's Day Gift Hop!
- Sports Time
- Because of You Ebook Giveaway (International)
- November Giveaway Hop! USA
- Guest Post and Giveaway with Ashley Wintters
- Want To Win a Signed Copy of The Poison Diaries?
- The Poison Diaries: Nightshade by Maryrose Wood an...
- My Seductive Cuba by Chen Lizra (Goodreads Author)...
- The Fix-It Shop by Frederick Alimonti
- Psyched Out by M.A. MacAfee
- Me and My Manny by M. A. Macafee
- Letters Home by Earle Kirkbride
- Interview with Author Aimee Carter of The Goddess ...
- Cover Adoration Nov 6, 2011
- Something Witchy Comes This Way by Veronica Blade
- Devil's Hand by M.E. Patterson
- For The Birds by Aaron Paul Lazar
- Two Moons of Sera by Pavarti K Tyler
- Amber Muse by Lacey Wolfe Excerpt!
- Alison Wonderland by Helen Smith
- The Book I Am Most Grateful For
- Echo Falls by Jaime McDougall
- Take a Look At This Awesome Offer!
- Absolute Obsession by C. Elizabeth
- The Niteclif Evolutions: Legacy Nurture Book Tour ...
- ▼ November (108)