Guest Post by Author Karen Hooper (Tangled Tides)
Posted by Krystal Larson at 9:08 AM Wednesday, November 30, 2011
1) Did you have any say in that wonderful cover?
Oh my gosh, I had so much say. I did a whole post about it on the YA Confidential blog that I'm a part of. http://yaconfidential.blogspot.com/2011/11/undercover-wednesday-tangled-tides.html
It shows pics of the process from beginning to end. My cover artist, Melissa Williams was amazing and easy to work with so she gets most of the credit for how wonderful it turned out, but yes, whenever I asked for something, Melissa made it happen.
2) What was the title and plot of the first story you wrote (very first)?
My very first story was called The Kindrily. It's about a group of supernaturally gifted people who perpetually reincarnate. They retain their memories from every lifetime and they're paired up as soul mates so they've been together for centuries. But the MC, Maryah, erased before entering this life. Her brokenhearted soul mate and the rest of the crew are on a mission to make her remember who she was/is. That story WILL make it out into the world someday. I don't care how many times I have to revise it! :)
3) When did you know you wanted to be an author?
Not until my late twenties. I've always loved to write, but I never thought I had the patience and diligence required to write a novel. Then one night a cast of characters barreled into my living room and there was no stopping the story that poured out of them. I've been addicted to writing books ever since.
4) How did you come up with the idea for sea monsters? Or are they your favorite paranormal creature?
Mermaids are definitely one of my favorite paranormal creatures. My love for them started when I was two years old and collected Sea Wees dolls. I've also had a weird love for Medusa (the gorgon) since I was a little kid. I watched the original Clash of the Titans movies more times than I can count, but I always felt sorry for her at the end when Perseus killed her. I gave her a much better role in TANGLED TIDES. The sirens and selkies were also creatures I've been fascinated with, but I had never read or seen them how I pictured them in my mind, so I brought them to life in my own way through my novel.
5) What was your favorite aspect of Yara's character?
Ah, Yara. I love her to pieces. My favorite part about her is that she isn't afraid to speak her mind, no matter what. She's all, "This is me. Take it or leave it." I wish I could be more like her.
6) Who was the hardest character to write about?
Hmm, probably Uncle Lloyd. That poor man had been through so much and still continued to carry the weight of the world on his shoulders. I had to make him strong but also caring and sensitive toward Yara. Many times it was difficult because as the author, I know so many details about who he is and what he's been through. Caring shouldn't have been his natural reaction to anything, but the fact that he's still such a good guy is what makes him so great.
7) Do you utilize your friends/family/self in your characters?
Absolutely. There is a quote on my blog that says " I am the combined effort of everyone I've ever known." The same goes with all of my characters. Also, people watching is one of my favorite hobbies, so I gather writing material that way too.
8) On a scale of one to ten, how fun was this book to write?
An eleven! My characters are so fascinating (in my humble opinion) and I don't plot or plan anything when I write, so watching their personalities and journeys unfold was so exciting. Plus, I was creating a world full of underwater creatures, beautiful islands, and magic. How could that not be fun?
9) Why did you decide to go into the paranormal genre?
Stories with magical or paranormal elements have always been my favorite. I had to write what I love.
This or That Questions
Chocolate or Vanilla (and there IS a right answer)
BOTH! Mixed! And throw in some cookie dough bites, please. :)
Breakfast or Dinner
Breakfast--even at dinner time.
Ancient Rome or Ancient Greece
Greece all the way!
Saturn or Pluto
Pluto, because it reminds of Mickey Mouse's dog.
Dogs or Cats
Dogs rule! I have two that will agree wholeheartedly with me.
Puzzles or Board Games
Both. I really do love both. You can't make me choose.
Writing on Paper or with a Computer
Depends on my mood and the occasion.
The color Red or Blue
The gorgons in TANGLED TIDES would say both since they have red AND blue blood (good and evil.) I vote to mix the colors together and make purple.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (371)
- ► 2015 (312)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- ► 2012 (816)
- A Survivor’s Guide to Kicking Cancer’s Ass by: Den...
- Scream Catcher by Vincent Zandri
- Guest Post by Author Karen Hooper (Tangled Tides)
- Writing for a Character that Doesn’t Just Cheat De...
- Winner Wonderland Giveaway!
- Broken Captive by BK Walker
- Studio Center Total Production-Check It Out!
- Precisely Terminatd by Amanda L. Davis
- Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic
- Lovable Labels!
- Cold Blood by Heather Hildenbrand
- The Paranormal Turkey Tour (Comment for a chance t...
- Cover Adoration Nov 28, 2011
- The Stay Tuned Holiday Tour
- Guest Post with Stephen Schochet
- The Sounding by Carrie Salo
- Black Friday Book Bonanza! (USA)
- Abithica by Susan Goldsmith
- A Death at the North Pole by Joel M. Andre Spotlig...
- True Grime by Natasha Deen
- Gratitude Giveaways Blog Hop
- Destined by P.C. Cast + Kristin Cast
- Rebirth by Dave Longeuay
- Awesome Giveaway on Another Blog!
- Melody Burning by Whitley Strieber
- MWF Seeking BFF by Rachel Bertsche
- Hunter of Shadows by Nancy Gideon
- Silver Sparks by Starr Ambrose
- Fateful by Claudia Gray
- 5 Reasons to Leave a Lover by Carolyn Moncel
- True Blue Tucker by Campbell Jeffreys
- 1001 Best Ways by Paul Angles
- Box of Rocks by Karla Telega
- Mayan Calendar Girls: The Great Meso-American Nove...
- Killing Rites by M.L.N. Hanover
- Vicious Grace by M.L.N. Hanover
- Darker Angels by M.L.N. Hanover
- Unclean Spirits by M.L.N. Hanover
- The Guardian's Witchild by Feather Stone
- White Lies, Black Blood by Trevor Ennis
- The Door To Far-Myst by Mike Dicerto
- Amazing Bloomsbury Ebook Prices!
- The Nine Lives of Christmas by Sheila Roberts
- Excerpts from Bloodbound and Blood's Voice by Aine...
- Cover Reveal!
- Cover Reveal!
- Destined by Jessie Harrell Book Birthday Shout Out...
- Book Excerpt: Code of Darkness by Chris Lindberg
- Win a Kindle Touch for YOU and a Friend from Trici...
- It's Simple by Michelle Richardson
- Everneath by Brodi Ashton
- Entrapped by Barbara Kyle Excerpt and Giveaway
- ARC Tours for Struck Jennifer Bosworth
- Sacrifice by Alexandrea Weis
- The Vase with the Many Coloured Marbles by Jacob S...
- Chance to Win on Another Blog!
- Archon: The Books of Raziel by Sabrina Benulis
- Joined Stumble Upon Yet?
- Poison Diaries Competition Winner!
- The Song of Unmaking by D. Barkley Briggs
- Hollywood Stories: Short, Entertaining Anecdotes a...
- Anessia's Quest by Karen Arnpriester
- Until There Was You by Kristin Higgins Review and ...
- Amazing Chance To Win All 4 Books in a Series!
- A Lasting Impression by Tamera Alexander
- Cover Adoration Nov 12, 2011
- Between the Sea and Sky by Jaclyn Dolamore Guest P...
- Guest Post with Holli Pfau
- Broken Words: The Abuse of Science and Faith In Am...
- The Alchemy of You by Patricia Copley O'Connell
- Thank You
- Want A Chance at a Dreamless ARC?
- Leanna Renee Hieber Tour Dates!
- Sign Up For The Mother's Day Gift Hop!
- Sports Time
- Because of You Ebook Giveaway (International)
- November Giveaway Hop! USA
- Guest Post and Giveaway with Ashley Wintters
- Want To Win a Signed Copy of The Poison Diaries?
- The Poison Diaries: Nightshade by Maryrose Wood an...
- My Seductive Cuba by Chen Lizra (Goodreads Author)...
- The Fix-It Shop by Frederick Alimonti
- Psyched Out by M.A. MacAfee
- Me and My Manny by M. A. Macafee
- Letters Home by Earle Kirkbride
- Interview with Author Aimee Carter of The Goddess ...
- Cover Adoration Nov 6, 2011
- Something Witchy Comes This Way by Veronica Blade
- Devil's Hand by M.E. Patterson
- For The Birds by Aaron Paul Lazar
- Two Moons of Sera by Pavarti K Tyler
- Amber Muse by Lacey Wolfe Excerpt!
- Alison Wonderland by Helen Smith
- The Book I Am Most Grateful For
- Echo Falls by Jaime McDougall
- Take a Look At This Awesome Offer!
- Absolute Obsession by C. Elizabeth
- The Niteclif Evolutions: Legacy Nurture Book Tour ...
- ▼ November (108)