Search This Blog

Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Cordova

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Nothing says Happy Birthday like summoning the spirits of your dead relatives.

I fall to my knees. Shattered glass, melted candles and the outline of scorched feathers are all that surround me. Every single person who was in my house – my entire family — is gone.

Alex is a bruja, the most powerful witch in a generation…and she hates magic. At her Deathday celebration, Alex performs a spell to rid herself of her power. But it backfires. Her whole family vanishes into thin air, leaving her alone with Nova, a brujo boy she can’t trust. A boy whose intentions are as dark as the strange markings on his skin.

The only way to get her family back is to travel with Nova to Los Lagos, a land in-between, as dark as Limbo and as strange as Wonderland…

Beautiful Creatures meets Daughter of Smoke and Bone with an infusion of Latin American tradition in this highly original fantasy adventure.

Goodreads Summary

I liked the book in the beginning. The plot was interesting and I liked Alex's character.  She is fun, quirky, and determined (if not a bit selfish). When she accidentally wishes her family gone, she must go down the "rabbit hole" to retrieve them. What follows is an interesting, if not a little predictable story.

Alex's character was complex and I liked that she was fairly well-developed in the book.  However, it was hard to truly care about her because the predictability made it easy to know what was going to happen with her character. Nova, a love interest, was charismatic, cute, and funny. I did not, however, like the love triangle despite it being nice that bisexuality was taken seriously in the novel. Overall, this might be a good read for someone else, but not so much for me!

2 1/2 Stars

This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews. COPYRIGHT © 2014 LIVE TO READ

0 comments: