Dancing With the Tiger by Lili Wright
Posted by Krystal Larson at 2:46 PM Saturday, August 27, 2016
When 30-year-old Anna Ramsey learns that a meth-addicted looter has dug up what might be the funerary mask of Montezuma, she books the next flight to Oaxaca. Determined to redeem her father, a discredited art collector, and to one-up her unfaithful fiancé, a museum curator, Anna hurls herself headlong into Mexico’s underground art world. But others are chasing the treasure as well: the shape-shifting drug lord no one can really describe; the enigmatic American expat, who keeps his art collection locked in a chapel; the former museum director who traffics stolen works, and his housekeeper—deeply religious, a gay woman in a culture of machismo, dependent on a patron she loathes; the painter Salvador on his motorcycle, complex, sensual—but with secrets of his own.
Anna soon realizes that everyone is masked—some literally, others metaphorically. Indeed, Dancing with the Tiger is a splendid reminder that throughout human history, cultures have revered masks: whether in the theater or in war, for religious purposes, or to conceal identity, masks are as universal as our desire to transform ourselves, to change. Anna, without an ounce of self-pity despite traumatic losses, stands out as a heroine for our times as, traveling alone, she finds the courage to show her true face.
My favorite part about this book was that the author clearly did intensive research on Mexico and cultural art. I learned so much even though this is a fiction book! Anna Ramsey is a woman with something to prove. Wanting to bring more respect to her father's name and to show her cheating fiance what he lost, Anna follows a lead to Mexico. In Mexico, she discovers the seedy underbelly of the art world and many more secrets than she anticipated.
I enjoyed the author's writing style. The words had a flow-like quality to them and the book ended well after each chapter. I liked Anna's character. She was gutsy, intelligent, and pursued things as avidly as I would. I was a little annoyed when she was worried or panicked for so-so reasons. She came off as a little flighty or fluttery. I liked how the book was generally fast-paced. I do think that it might have been a better read if I had cared more about the characters.
3 1/2 Stars
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews. COPYRIGHT © 2014 LIVE TO READ
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- Glitter by Aprilynne Pike
- My One Hundred Adventures by Polly Horvath
- Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton
- The Patient's Resource and Almanac of Primary Care...
- Rocks Fall Everyone Dies by Lindsay Ribar
- Dancing With the Tiger by Lili Wright
- Whitefern by V.C. Andrews: Promo and Giveaway!
- Don't Go To Bed Angry: Stay Up and Fight by Deb De...
- Beautiful Scars by Kilee Brookbank
- The Girl From Savoy by Hazel Gaynor
- All the Wounds in Shadow by Anise Eden
- One Salt Sea by Seanan McGuire: Review and Giveawa...
- The Sixth Idea (Monkeewrench #7) by P.J. Tracy
- The Lost and the Found by Cat Clarke
- Brae MacKenzie: A Romance of Mythic Identity by Ke...
- Whitefern by V.C. Andrews
- A Torch Against the Night by Sabaa Tahir
- Bright Smoke, Cold Fire by Rosamund Hodge
- Cherry by Lindsey Rosin
- How To Hang a Witch by Adriana Mather
- The Gate to Futures Past by Julie E. Czerneda: Pro...
- Top Tens List with Charles A. Salter (Kare Kids Ad...
- James Dashner Google Hangout!
- One Was Lost by Natalie D. Richards
- Dear Jane by Rachel Ward
- Clear To Lift by Anne A Wilson
- Unknown by Wendy Higgins: Promo and Giveaway!
- Until Summer Ends by Elana Johnson: Top Tens List...
- Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Cordova
- The Mermaid's Secret by Kate Schickel
- The Real Peter Pan by Piers Dudgeon
- Santorini Sunsets by Anita Hughes
- Free YA Ebook!
- A Beauty Refined by Tracie Peterson
- 100 Days of Cake by Shari Goldhagen
- Love Blind by Christa Desir and Jolene Perry
- Everland by Wendy Spinale
- The Problem With Forever by Jennifer Armentrout
- UNITED Launch Blitz & Giveaway
- A Hundred Hours of Night by Anna Woltz
- Fancy Nancy: Tea Parties (Fancy Nancy) by Jane O'C...
- ▼ August (41)
- ► 2015 (311)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- ► 2012 (818)