Search This Blog

Trilogy by Prudence MacGregor

Monday, June 10, 2013


Trilogy: A Collection is comprised of three stories, all of which have an otherworldly, paranormal theme to them. Each of the main characters in these stories wrestles with extraordinary circumstances in an otherwise ostensibly ordinary world. All of the tales have their own moral and life lessons, which Prudence MacGregor aims for each reader to individually formulate, as life itself is not clear cut and is at the mercy of the subjective. Journey with the stories main characters as they navigate the unplumbed depths of the unknown. The first story, Parallelograms, centers on protagonist Justine, a determined yet troubled young woman who, quite by accident, discovers that she has a double and thus finds herself facing unexpected and ultimately terrifying consequences. Her previously tightly controlled world spins out of control, causing her to question her very existence. The second story in the trilogy, Random, concerns Ulyssa, a young woman who is intrigued by the possibility of releasing a balloon with a note and seeing where it lands. This seemingly innocent activity will take her down a dark path, the circumstances of which may or may not be resolved. This will conflict with the outwardly picture perfect world that she thought she inhabited. The final title, Up There, focuses on Gregory, an unassuming office worker who is fascinated by the airplanes he sees in the sky. Quite by accident he meets Sherry, a beautiful motivational speaker who just may have a connection to one of the planes he has seen. An activity he previously saw as harmless and a bit innocuous -watching planes fly overhead and guessing their destinations - turns questionable and ultimately forces him to take a look at his world: is it real or has it always been an illusion?

Goodreads Summary

Trilogy is three different stories with a paranormal twist. All of them have the same theme: Things aren’t what they seem. I really like short stories, but I’m not a fan of the ones that cut off abruptly and leave you  to figure out how it ends on your own. I’m a closure sort of person; I would like a beginning, middle, and end. That being said, these stories can be their own novel if the author added more characters and more depth to the plot. I wouldn’t be surprised if Macgregor could make one of these three stories into a full length novel (and I will definitely read them). I really like the theme though; you think that the stories will end one way,  but in the end your whole thought process is turned upside down.

The only thing I don’t like is how short they are. I KNOW, I KNOW! It’s three SHORT stories, but it would have been nice if he elaborated on some points or answered questions he made open ended. Again, closure would have been nice. I recommend this book if you’re into short stories.

4 Stars

*Reviewed by Rachel*

Find this book:
Amazon

This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

3 comments:

  1. Unknown said...:

    I'll have to try this one. I'm not sure how I'll do with the being open-ended thing, but the stories do sound interesting!

  1. Unknown said...:

    Thank you for the review. I am the author (pen name Prudence MacGregor) and indeed I am thinking of turning one of the stories into a longer one. Great to hear different points of view.

  1. Berenice said...:

    This one sounds interesting but, like you, I'm not much a fan of short stories. I tend to steer away from them, hehe. However, I'm intrigued by this one. I'll have to look it up. Fantastic review! =)