Search This Blog

45 Pounds (more or less) By: K.A. Barson

Tuesday, June 25, 2013


Here are the numbers of Ann Galardi’s life:

She is 16.
And a size 17.
Her perfect mother is a size 6.
Her Aunt Jackie is getting married in 10 weeks, and wants Ann to be her bridesmaid.
So Ann makes up her mind: Time to lose 45 pounds (more or less) in 2 1/2 months.

Welcome to the world of infomercial diet plans, wedding dance lessons, embarrassing run-ins with the cutest guy Ann’s ever seen—-and some surprises about her NOT-so-perfect mother. 

And there’s one more thing. It’s all about feeling comfortable in your own skin-—no matter how you add it up!

"Deliciously relatable with a lot of laughter on the side." -- Rita Williams-Garcia, New York Times best-selling author



Goodreads Summary

When my niece was reading 45 pounds, she came over to me laughing out loud over the scene where Ann Galardi is trapped in a too-tight outfit in a dressing room.  I haven't exactly been in that situation...but I know the feeling of trying something on and thinking...will I rip it?  Should I keep trying to get in this dress (or whatever it is)?  In fact, I thought that Barson had come up with a creative idea for a clothing store called Snapz! where the largest of customers can wear a size 3.  I was shocked when someone at work talked about a store in our local mall where the sizing was set up that way.  She said that my size 12 would be a 2 at this popular store (that I’d never heard of).
I really enjoyed the novel because of the humor.  Sometimes I thought…oh,no…serious moment here interrupting the fun.  But the serious situations were meaningful…and fit Ann’s life.  I like to relate to situations and characters in books.  Some family of ours had pantries stacked with prepared foods like the S2S meals that Ann tries.  It didn’t last or work well for my family either.  Situations in Ann’s blended families are poignant.  What rotten grandma would tell a kid to take the picture rather than be in it – just because the child isn’t her grandchild?  I can see how eye-opening it would be to find out that your dad (who you jealously imagine is treating his step-children and new children so wonderfully) is actually a jerk.  This novel talks about friendship (real friends like Raynee), finding (and appreciating) yourself, understanding your parents and their problems, and dating.  Yay! – not all guys would like to date a (real) size 0.  The drinking scene is disappointing because you really come to respect Ann in many ways, but like trouble in families and weight difficulties – it’s unfortunately a realistic picture of a teen.  I love how comfortable Ann’s grandma makes Ann feel.  A grandparent to the rescue with teens having trouble – that often happens, doesn’t it?
Four and a Half Stars

*Reviewed by Colleen*

Find this book:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository

This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

7 comments:

  1. Diana said...:

    Nice review. Haven't read this book yet.

  1. bn100 said...:

    Sounds like a funny book

  1. Unknown said...:

    you got me interested in the book

  1. Unknown said...:

    it is certainly an interesting book.

  1. Unknown said...:

    Haha this seems so funny, I can relate to the too-small clothing in the dressing room too xD

  1. Susan T. said...:

    I'm not very big but I have been stuck in clothes in a dressing room! I think we can all relate to this character in some way.

  1. Berenice said...:

    Oh my goodness this one sounds really, really great. Your review is fantastic and because of it I'm adding it to my list. I have got to get my hands on a copy. Glad to hear you enjoyed it! =)