Search This Blog

Imposter By: Susanne Winnacker

Monday, June 17, 2013
Tessa is a Variant, able to absorb the DNA of anyone she touches and mimic their appearance. Shunned by her family, she’s spent the last two years training with the Forces with Extraordinary Abilities, a secret branch of the FBI. When a serial killer rocks a small town in Oregon, Tessa is given a mission: she must impersonate Madison, a local teen, to find the killer before he strikes again. 

Tessa hates everything about being an impostor—the stress, the danger, the deceit—but loves playing the role of a normal girl. As Madison, she finds friends, romance, and the kind of loving family she’d do anything to keep. Amid action, suspense, and a ticking clock, this super-human comes to a very human conclusion: even a girl who can look like anyone struggles the most with being herself.

Goodreads Summary

What if you were a Variant?  Would you want to be able to read minds or mimic the appearance of others?  Tessa is a teen Variant who wishes her life was normal.  She is employed and cared for by the Forces with Extraordinary Abilities branch of the FBI.  For Tessa’s first real mission, she is to take on the life of a teen girl murdered by a serial killer.  Imitating Madison, the victim, is a wonderful change for Tessa.  Madison has the kind of life Tessa dreams of between hours of FBI training.  
I enjoyed reading Imposter, but disliked the writing style and bossy male characters.  Winnacker’s style was a little too dramatic and repetitive for me.  Her descriptions were great, I could picture the characters in my head, but she overused some words and everything always felt like a crisis.  When serious situations arose, they seemed less important because of this.  Tessa was extremely angsty and feminine.  I expected her to be more of a take charge character, but the guys in the novel always seemed to be in control.  
Although that is a long paragraph of some complaints, the book really is pretty good.  There is plenty of mystery, suspense, and excitement.  I stayed up until around 1 am because I wanted to know how the story would end.  Lovers of intrigue will adore this novel and I think teen girls can relate to Tessa’s identity issues.  

I rate Imposter 3.5 out of 5 stars.

*Reviewed by Kristin*

Find this book:
Amazon
Book Depository




This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

7 comments:

  1. Unknown said...:

    Looks like an interesting read, though I don't think I could get behind bossy male characters. Glad you liked it!

    -Taylor @ Reading is the Thing

  1. bn100 said...:

    Interesting cover and book

  1. Diana said...:

    I would really love to read this book. It has a gorgeous cover and I'm intrigued.
    Thanks for the post! :)

  1. Aw, bossy character was not really my cup of tea, but since this novel intrigued me so much, I think I'll still going to give it a try.
    Thanks for mentioning it though, and nice review :)

  1. Unknown said...:

    I love the cover for this! I dislike bossy characters, but I might give this one a try because the concept sounds so intriguing!

  1. Susan T. said...:

    The basic idea of this book sounds awesome! It's too bad that the female character isn't stronger and lets the males boss her around!

  1. Berenice said...:

    My goodness this one sounds interesting. The concept is way cool. I wonder if this one is part of a series? I'll have to look it up. Great review. Thank you! =)