Search This Blog

The Offering: A Novel by Angela Hunt

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

One innocent mistake . . . a lifetime of consequences.

After growing up an only child, Amanda Lisandra wants a big family. But since she and her soldier husband can’t afford to have more children right away, Mandy decides to earn money as a gestational carrier for a childless couple. She loves being pregnant, and while carrying the child, she dreams of having her own son and maybe another daughter. . . .

Just when the nearly perfect pregnancy is about to conclude, unexpected tragedy enters Mandy’s world and leaves her reeling. Devastated by grief, she surrenders the child she was carrying and struggles to regain her emotional equilibrium.
Two years later she studies a photograph of the baby she bore and wonders if the unthinkable has happened—could she have inadvertently given away her own biological child? Over the next few months Mandy struggles to decide between the desires of her grief-stricken heart and what’s best for the little boy she has never known.

Goodreads Summary

This is one of those novels that will make the reader seriously think.  The issues addressed in the book are both interesting and require deep-thought.  Mandy carried another couple's child to help give them  the child they so desperately wanted.  However, she discovers that the child may be her own biological child, twisting the plot.  What would you do in the event that you may have inadvertently birthed your biological child?  Would you try to take the child back?  or would you choose to leave the child with the non-biological parents?

Mandy was an interesting character.  I was very sympathetic to her.  She is in an awkward situation with no straight-forward right answer.  After she endures a great tragedy related to her husband, the child may be all that she has left of him.  I found myself struggling with what decision I would make if I were in Mandy's shoes.  I honestly don't know what I would decide, even after I finished the book.  The other characters all added a little something to the novel.  It was interesting to meet Mandy's husband's family and see how they factored in to the plot.  Overall, this book is recommended to adult readers.

3 Stars

Find this book:



This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.

5 comments:

  1. bn100 said...:

    Thought provoking

  1. bn100 said...:

    Interesting plot

  1. Susan T. said...:

    Sounds like a real tear jerker! I think in that situation I would fight to get the child back.

  1. Unknown said...:

    Wow, what a plot twist! Mandy's got a hard decision..I think I'll have to read this to find out what she decides D:

  1. Berenice said...:

    Wow. This sounds crazy. I cannot even begin to imagine what I would do in a situation like this. The Offering sounds very interesting. Fantastic review. Thank you! =)