The Generosity of Strangers – How It All Started by Thomas E. Antonaccio
Posted by Krystal Larson at 12:50 AM Sunday, October 21, 2012
For as long as I can remember, my mother has told me stories about her childhood experiences in Italy during World War II and its immediate aftermath. Born and raised in the tiny hilltop town of Fornelli—located in Italy’s mountainous heart—life for my mother and her family was oftentimes a contradiction. It was the best of times; it was the worst of times. Yet, their ability to live an honest life despite war, hardship, and even poverty serves as an inspiration to all of us.
For many years, my mother’s stories lie dormant somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind. Then, in 1996, the Army assigned me to Naples, Italy—a bustling metropolis only 75 miles from Fornelli. One October morning, I drove to Fornelli. For the first time in my life, I visited the town, the neighborhood, even the very house in which my mother spent her childhood days. I met her cousins and childhood friends, and I relived the customs and traditions that I remembered as a child growing up in Rhode Island. When I left Italy in 1999, a part of Fornelli came with me, and I never let go of hope that I would some day capture my mother’s story in the pages of a book. Finally, some 13 years later, I’m honored and privileged to present to you The Generosity of Strangers: When War Came to Fornelli.
My mother—Antonia Lucia Petrarca—lived everything in this book as a young girl growing up in Fornelli, Italy during World War II. Over the past several years, she and I have had several conversations—in person, over the phone, and through the exchange of pictures, notes and audiotapes. The result is a series of episodes or vignettes, spanning a period of about 15 years. These episodes reflect my mother’s interpretation of the events as they occurred more than 50 years ago.
There’s something beautiful, something magical about my mother’s story. I once told my mother that I learned more in researching and writing The Generosity of Strangers than I learned from six years of college. I hold firm to that belief even today. The Generosity of Strangers is a charming story that touches our common humanity in a way that no school textbook can. It is a timeless story for the entire family.
Coming soon to Amazon
Genre – Children’s NonFiction / History – Europe
Rating – PG
More details about the book
Connect with Thomas E Antonaccio on Facebook
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (372)
- ► 2015 (312)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- Dystopian Giveaway Hop! (USA/CAN)
- Toby Gold and the Secret Fortune by Craig R. Evere...
- Author Interview – Laura Lee
- Healing Notes Book Feature and Giveaway!
- Author Interview – Christine Nolfi
- Free Book/Giveaway For Liking a Facebook Page!
- Winners from the 2012 Blogger Contest!
- YA Mythology Giveaway Hop!
- The Waiting Booth Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Evertaster by Adam Glendon Shout-Out!
- The King's Damsel by Kate Emerson
- Spooktacular Giveaway Hop!
- The Emerald Talisman Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Enter To Win a Merry Little Christmas!
- The Generosity of Strangers – How It All Started b...
- Voting week #4 - Most Entertaining
- Game House!
- Recipe for Trouble: The Cupcake Club by Sheryl Ber...
- Guy Magar – I Almost Decapitated Drew Barrymore
- Fall Into Fantasy Hop! INTERNATIONAL Giveaway!
- Immaculate Confusion Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Dear Teen Me: Authors Write Letters to Their Teen ...
- Stealing Parker by Miranda Kenneally Review and Gi...
- Who I Kissed by Janet Gurtler Review and Giveaway ...
- Prettiest Doll by Gina Willner-Pardo
- Kids Can Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Voting Week #3-Best New Blog!
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower By: Stephen Chbosk...
- Boxcar Children Beginning: The Aldens of Fair Mead...
- Daughter of Light by V.C. Andrews
- You Don't Know Me by Susan May Warren
- Bitten Shame Guest Post
- Interview with Carrie Arcos!
- Silent Song Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Summer Doesn't Have To Be Over Giveaway!
- Life With Lily by Mary Ann Kinsinger, Suzanne Woo...
- Where the Trail Ends by Melanie Dobson
- Gallagher's Hope Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Happily Ever After Giveaway Hop! (USA/CAN)
- Voting Week #2 of Blogger Awards
- INT giveaway & FREE website for any published auth...
- Beta by Rachel Cohn
- Eve and Adam by Michael Grant and Katherine Appleg...
- Voting Week #1 of Blogger Awards!
- A Military Republic Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Lycaon Press Feature and Giveaway!
- The Trouble with Cowboys (A Big Sky Romance) By: ...
- The Beldam's Eye by Jennifer Rainey: Guest Post an...
- Fangs, Fur, and Fey Giveaway
- Breathless Press Promotion and Giveaway! *over 18 ...
- The Reluctant Bachelorette Giveaway and Book Blast...
- The Shadow Man Interview and Giveaway!
- What’s Your ‘Blind Spot’? Contest!
- ▼ October (53)