Stealing Parker by Miranda Kenneally Review and Giveaway (USA/CAN)!
Posted by Krystal Larson at 6:02 PM Tuesday, October 16, 2012
She just got thrown a major curveball.
Miranda Kenneally’s newest novel is already knocking it out of the park as The Los Angeles Times dubs it one of the most “most highly anticipated young adult books for the fall.” Parker Shelton is desperately trying to prove that she is NOTHING like her mom—who caused a scandal by leaving Parker’s dad for another woman. In response, she leaves her all-star softball reputation behind and creates even more gossip for herself by chasing after the hot new assistant baseball coach who understands her feelings of loneliness and isolation. But flirting with a 23-year-old might be taking it a step to far…especially when he starts flirting back.
Parker, the main character, goes from the “perfect girl” to the “girl with a secret.” The reader will get to know her during a critical time in her life-her mother is a lesbian. Parker’s mother leaves Parker’s father to try to discover just how she wants to live her life. Parker is left in the lurch. She goes from being a popular girl with the potential for valedictorian to dieting and forgetting about school. Parker has a bit of a social breakdown, one with consequences. She decides to try multiple boys in order to prove her non-lesbian status. When the new baseball coach gives her a flirty smile, Parker figures that just maybe, she should try him out as well.
Parker’s character was a little hard to like right away. She doesn’t handle her mother’s revelation with maturity at all and decides to go gonzo with boys. When flip-flopping from boy to boy doesn’t seem to work, Parker goes for the first older guy who seems interested. The baseball coach, Brian, seems to be taking risks with Parker that could turn out badly. He is interested in her one day, then unsure the next. Author Miranda Kenneally takes a very awkward subject and normalizes it to the point where readers will not feel uncomfortable reading this book. The book focuses around this unusual and illegal relationship between a minor and an authority figure. Eventually, the reader will warm up to Parker and hope that Parker decides to think twice about her latest relationship.
Stealing Parker is an interesting book about a different kind of relationship. Parker and Brian’s illicit relationship will allow the reader to decide for him/herself what he/she thinks. Although the book doesn’t have to be taken overly seriously, the author handled the topic in a mature way that every teenage reader should try reading. This book is recommended to young adult/teen readers.
3 ½ Stars
Find this book:
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository
a Rafflecopter giveaway
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (329)
- ► 2015 (311)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- Dystopian Giveaway Hop! (USA/CAN)
- Toby Gold and the Secret Fortune by Craig R. Evere...
- Author Interview – Laura Lee
- Healing Notes Book Feature and Giveaway!
- Author Interview – Christine Nolfi
- Free Book/Giveaway For Liking a Facebook Page!
- Winners from the 2012 Blogger Contest!
- YA Mythology Giveaway Hop!
- The Waiting Booth Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Evertaster by Adam Glendon Shout-Out!
- The King's Damsel by Kate Emerson
- Spooktacular Giveaway Hop!
- The Emerald Talisman Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Enter To Win a Merry Little Christmas!
- The Generosity of Strangers – How It All Started b...
- Voting week #4 - Most Entertaining
- Game House!
- Recipe for Trouble: The Cupcake Club by Sheryl Ber...
- Guy Magar – I Almost Decapitated Drew Barrymore
- Fall Into Fantasy Hop! INTERNATIONAL Giveaway!
- Immaculate Confusion Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Dear Teen Me: Authors Write Letters to Their Teen ...
- Stealing Parker by Miranda Kenneally Review and Gi...
- Who I Kissed by Janet Gurtler Review and Giveaway ...
- Prettiest Doll by Gina Willner-Pardo
- Kids Can Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Voting Week #3-Best New Blog!
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower By: Stephen Chbosk...
- Boxcar Children Beginning: The Aldens of Fair Mead...
- Daughter of Light by V.C. Andrews
- You Don't Know Me by Susan May Warren
- Bitten Shame Guest Post
- Interview with Carrie Arcos!
- Silent Song Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Summer Doesn't Have To Be Over Giveaway!
- Life With Lily by Mary Ann Kinsinger, Suzanne Woo...
- Where the Trail Ends by Melanie Dobson
- Gallagher's Hope Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Happily Ever After Giveaway Hop! (USA/CAN)
- Voting Week #2 of Blogger Awards
- INT giveaway & FREE website for any published auth...
- Beta by Rachel Cohn
- Eve and Adam by Michael Grant and Katherine Appleg...
- Voting Week #1 of Blogger Awards!
- A Military Republic Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Lycaon Press Feature and Giveaway!
- The Trouble with Cowboys (A Big Sky Romance) By: ...
- The Beldam's Eye by Jennifer Rainey: Guest Post an...
- Fangs, Fur, and Fey Giveaway
- Breathless Press Promotion and Giveaway! *over 18 ...
- The Reluctant Bachelorette Giveaway and Book Blast...
- The Shadow Man Interview and Giveaway!
- What’s Your ‘Blind Spot’? Contest!
- ▼ October (53)