Guy Magar – I Almost Decapitated Drew Barrymore
Posted by Krystal Larson at 7:06 AM Friday, October 19, 2012
Written By Guy Magar – From his memoir KISS ME QUICK BEFORE I SHOOT: A Filmmaker’s Journey into the Lights of Hollywood and True Love
Since I always had very early set calls when I directed films, the Hollywood Hills is where I chose to live. No other major city has green hills and mountain homes at its geographical center. It’s like living in a tree house, surrounded by nature, and I can get to Universal, Warner Brothers, or Paramount in minutes. It’s one of the reasons I love LA. I hear you, Randy Newman.
Crazy things have happened at this house. One night, around 2 a.m., we were awakened by footsteps going up our exterior stairs to our balcony deck. “Did you hear that…the stairs?” whispered Jacqui as she bolted upright from a deep sleep. “Yeah, don’t worry, it’s OK!” I tried to calmly whisper back as I quickly got up and grabbed my trusted machete from under our bed.
“Oh my god…what’s that?” I heard her whisper behind me as I raised the machete over my shoulder. I shook my head, trying to clear the sleep cobwebs and focus on reality, as the steps were now creaking above us on the second-floor balcony. I hoped it was a deer or somethin’ with four legs as had occurred in the past but now it was clear we had burglars! I answered, “Stay by the phone, dial 911 if we need to.”
“Sounds like two of them!” Jacqui whispered. “Don’t worry, I got this,” I replied, as I moved in the dark to the door. I opened our bedroom door and felt my way to the front door of the house. “They’re comin’ back down the stairs,” Jacqui whispered urgently as she appeared behind me, but I could hardly see her in the dark. “Please stay by the phone, Jacqui…move away from this door,” I whispered to encourage her back into the bedroom, but she wasn’t leaving my side. With her ear on the door, she whispered with a panicky twinge, “They’re comin’…they’re here!” as we now heard footsteps approaching the front door. SOBs!
I was always determined never to be a victim, and to go on the offensive if intruders ever invaded our home. I had to make sure Jacqui was protected no matter what. Though I could barely see her face, I saw as determined a fearless warrior standing by my side. We were a team…even then! We were about to go to war! (Or maybe I had directed too many action shows?)
The steps could now be heard just a few feet away from the other side of the door. NOW! I unlocked it, flung it open, and screamed like a maniac, “AHHHHH!” as I wound up the machete over my shoulder, ready to swing it down and decapitate the intruders…uh, well, if need be!
Right in front of me, there were indeed two of them! With bug-eyes, and screaming even louder than me “AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!” were two females, terrified out of their minds! There stood Jacqui’s friend Ildiko, and her eight-year-old daughter Drew Barrymore! Yeah, that Drew!
I almost decapitated poor Drew, who was screaming’ in fear of the crazy wild man about to swing this frightening machete down on her. She looked as terrified as when we had all seen her famous scream upon meeting Spielberg’s E.T. just a few months earlier on our movie screens! Jacqui had been friends with Ildiko for years before I had met her, and had babysat for Drew when she was younger. Ildiko was returning an evening wear Jacqui had loaned her from the store for a Golden Globe Award-type function, and had thought to return it promptly by leaving it on our balcony in the middle of the night! Bad idea to sneak around our house.
After we all calmed down and sort of laughed about it, we hoped Drew would forgive us and not have this horrifying machete experience mark her for life. They soon left with Drew still looking at me like I was a crazed wacko. Sorry Drew.
As I was putting my trusted machete back under the bed, Jacqui asked, “So when did you become a samurai?” I didn’t want to flaunt my knowledge of Kurosawa movies, so I just fired back, “So whose nutball friend was that at 2 a.m.?”
All I heard was, “Good night, darlin’.” Yojimbo, anyone?
Buy Now @ Amazon
Genre – Celebrity / Memoir / Romance
Rating – PG
More details about the author & the book
Connect with Guy Magar on Facebook & Twitter
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (371)
- ► 2015 (312)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- Dystopian Giveaway Hop! (USA/CAN)
- Toby Gold and the Secret Fortune by Craig R. Evere...
- Author Interview – Laura Lee
- Healing Notes Book Feature and Giveaway!
- Author Interview – Christine Nolfi
- Free Book/Giveaway For Liking a Facebook Page!
- Winners from the 2012 Blogger Contest!
- YA Mythology Giveaway Hop!
- The Waiting Booth Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Evertaster by Adam Glendon Shout-Out!
- The King's Damsel by Kate Emerson
- Spooktacular Giveaway Hop!
- The Emerald Talisman Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Enter To Win a Merry Little Christmas!
- The Generosity of Strangers – How It All Started b...
- Voting week #4 - Most Entertaining
- Game House!
- Recipe for Trouble: The Cupcake Club by Sheryl Ber...
- Guy Magar – I Almost Decapitated Drew Barrymore
- Fall Into Fantasy Hop! INTERNATIONAL Giveaway!
- Immaculate Confusion Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Dear Teen Me: Authors Write Letters to Their Teen ...
- Stealing Parker by Miranda Kenneally Review and Gi...
- Who I Kissed by Janet Gurtler Review and Giveaway ...
- Prettiest Doll by Gina Willner-Pardo
- Kids Can Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Voting Week #3-Best New Blog!
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower By: Stephen Chbosk...
- Boxcar Children Beginning: The Aldens of Fair Mead...
- Daughter of Light by V.C. Andrews
- You Don't Know Me by Susan May Warren
- Bitten Shame Guest Post
- Interview with Carrie Arcos!
- Silent Song Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Summer Doesn't Have To Be Over Giveaway!
- Life With Lily by Mary Ann Kinsinger, Suzanne Woo...
- Where the Trail Ends by Melanie Dobson
- Gallagher's Hope Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Happily Ever After Giveaway Hop! (USA/CAN)
- Voting Week #2 of Blogger Awards
- INT giveaway & FREE website for any published auth...
- Beta by Rachel Cohn
- Eve and Adam by Michael Grant and Katherine Appleg...
- Voting Week #1 of Blogger Awards!
- A Military Republic Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Lycaon Press Feature and Giveaway!
- The Trouble with Cowboys (A Big Sky Romance) By: ...
- The Beldam's Eye by Jennifer Rainey: Guest Post an...
- Fangs, Fur, and Fey Giveaway
- Breathless Press Promotion and Giveaway! *over 18 ...
- The Reluctant Bachelorette Giveaway and Book Blast...
- The Shadow Man Interview and Giveaway!
- What’s Your ‘Blind Spot’? Contest!
- ▼ October (53)