After losing everyone she loves, concert pianist Liesl Bower has nowhere to go but to escape into her music. Searching for the peace she usually finds in her concertos and sonatas, Liesl can't shake the feeling that she is being haunted by her past . . . and by someone following her. When she spots a familiar and eerie face in the audience of a concert she's giving for the president in Washington, DC, the scariest day of her life comes back to her with a flash. It has been fifteen years since Liesl watched her beloved Harvard music mentor assaulted on a dark night in Moscow and just as long since the CIA disclosed to her that he'd been spying for Russia. She had seen that man--that eerie face--the night Professor Devoe was attacked. And now he's back--and coming for her.
On the run and struggling to rely on the protection of CIA agent Ava Mullins and handsome newspaper reporter Cade O'Brien, Liesl learns she is the prey of an underground cell of Russian KGB agents determined to restore their country to its former Soviet might. But what she doesn't know is that she is in possession of something--a piece of sheet music--that Russian intelligence is now frantic to find. Inside that music is a secret code, the hidden transcriptions of her deceased mentor, that clearly identify a Russian mole operating inside Israel's Department of Defense, a mole with enough power and access to execute a daring assassination that no one would see coming.
Caught in a deadly conflict between American and Russian undercover agents, this innocent young pianist is just trying to survive her own personal trauma. Through it all, Liesl must learn that no matter how dark her world grows or how fiercely her enemies pursue her, God is still in control--if only she can yield herself to His grace.
Liesl is a concert pianist and the main character in this book. Liesl has lost so much in her short life, from family to friends. Liesl's life is already complicated, the reader may believe that it cannot get much worse...but the reader would be wrong. It is believed by Russian and American intelligence that Liesl contains a coded message that could invigorate Soviet power and bring that power back.
Liesl runs from the danger as any sane person would. She isn't only running from the Soviets, but also a potential love that she does not know how to handle. She is running towards a decision under the guidance of God. She grapples with her past and her potential futures, she looks to the divine God for help throughout the novel. As a character, Liesl is impressive. It is amazing that she hasn't given in to the pressure or cracked with all that has happened to her and may happen to her. She is brave, intelligent, and creative. The secondary characters, particularly the love interest, will affect the reader in varying ways.
This novel is exciting and fast-paced, the reader will be hard-pressed to find a slow excerpt in the entire novel. The different environments and settings will serve to make the novel more exciting and innovative. The reader has many more books to look forward to from this author! This book is recommended to adult readers.
Find this book:
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
Win a Kindle Fire from Sue Duffy!
Enter 1/23 - 2/11. The Red Returning Giveaway!
Win a Kindle Fire from @SueDuffy2 and @KregelBooks in the "Red Returning" Giveaway!
Sue Duffy and her publisher, Kregel Publications, are celebrating the release of The Sound of Red Returning by giving away a Kindle Fire prize package worth over $200 to one lucky winner!!!! (1/23-2/11)
Enter the Sue Duffy’s Giveaway today and you could win:
* A brand new Kindle Fire with Wi-Fi
* The Sound of Red Returning (Book One in the Red Returning series) by Sue Duffy
To enter click one of the icons below. But, hurry! The giveway ends on 2/11. Sue will be announcing the winner of the “Red Returning” Giveaway on February 13th on the Litfuse website!
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- Guest Post by Author Karice Bolton
- The Sound of Red Returning by Sue Duffy
- Falling In Between by Devon Ashley Author This or ...
- Young Adult Giveaway Hop!
- Forbidden by Syrie and James and Ryan M. James
- Double Cover Reveal!
- Alienation by Jon S. Lewis
- Giveaway of Michael Palmer's Oath of Office!
- Ditched by Robin Mellom
- Author Contest!
- Chasing Mona Lisa by Tricia Goyer and Mike Yorkey
- Life As I Blow It: Tales Of Love, Life & Sex . . ....
- The Gathering Storm by Robin Bridges
- The Queen's Daughter by Susan Coventry
- The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
- The Wood Queen by Karen Mahoney
- Indigo Awakening by Jordan Dane-Exclusive Excerpt!...
- Cleaning Machine by Gaylord Campbell
- A Five Minute Tour of Modern London: Guest Post by...
- Life Eternal by Yvonne Woon
- Awakening by Karice Bolton
- Stolen Away by Alyxandra Harvey
- Guest Post with Guy Magar
- Various Positions by Martha Schabas
- On A Dark Wing by Jordan Dane
- The Girls of No Return by Erin Saldin
- Ride With Me Free Excerpt! on sale 2/13/2012
- Guest Post with F.A. Hershey and Giveaway! (Intern...
- Where It Began by Ann Redisch Stampler
- Toast to 2012 Giveaway Hop! (USA/CAN)
- The Dirt by Lori Culwell
- The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe
- Face Up Gaming: Free Online Poker http://www.faceu...
- Cover Adoration Jan 12, 2012
- The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rot...
- Young Adult Faeries & Fantasy Hop
- Our Mother's Recipes Guest Post and Giveaway!
- Interview with Author Heather Beck!
- Twisted Fairy Tales Volume II Anthology – Intervie...
- Jailbird by Heather Huffman
- Giveaway of Switched by Amanda Hocking (signed cop...
- Touch of Power (The Healer Series-January 2011) by...
- Happy New Year 2012 Giveaway Hop!
- Joel Andre Guest Post!
- Darkness by Joann I. Martin Sowles
- Ten -- How Would You Rate Your Life? by Terry A Sm...
- Switched by Amanda Hocking
- Happy New Year!
- Lifting the Wheel of Karma by Paul H. Magid and 3 ...
- Article 5 by Kristen Simmons
- Lovetorn by Kavita Daswani
- ▼ January (51)