The Queen's Daughter by Susan Coventry
Posted by Krystal Larson at 4:36 PM Saturday, January 21, 2012
When her parents marry her off to the king of Sicily, Joan finds herself stuck with a man ten years her senior. She doesn't love her husband, and she can't quite forget her childhood crush, the handsome Lord Raymond.
As Joan grows up, she begins to understand that her parents' worldview is warped by their political ambitions, and hers, in turn, has been warped by theirs. Is it too late to figure out whom to trust? And, more importantly, whom to love?
Looking for a good historical fiction novel? Joan wasn't born to make her own decisions, much of her life had already been mapped out. When she has to marry a much older man, Joan remains resilient. Her childhood may be behind her, but she is loathe to forget about her first infatuation. The reader will enjoy following Joan from when she is very young all the way through to her thirties. The reader will find that Joan is an easy character to connect to and sympathize with. Joan has her flaws, but she is also brave, compassionate, and strong.
When Joan married her husband, she technically left her family behind. She has a hard time choosing between her husband's and family's little arguments, there really isn't any correct choice. Joan is one of those rare strong female characters. She does try to stand up for what she believes is right, even in a time where it was difficult for females to do so. Her husband is rigid and unyielding in many situations, but the reader will hope he appreciates his unique wife at least a little. Joan's family restrains her and prefers her to act like a lady and let them make all of the decisions. The reader will enjoy getting to know all of the characters, however, and placing them within the historical timeline he/she knows.
The author remains as true to history as possible. The reader should appreciate the realistic way the events, thoughts, and actions of the people of that time were portrayed. The events were mostly cohesive, the reader should not have a hard time following the plot and knowing who is who. This book is recommended to young adult/teen readers.
Find this book:
Barnes and Noble
The Book Depository
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (371)
- ► 2015 (312)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- Guest Post by Author Karice Bolton
- The Sound of Red Returning by Sue Duffy
- Falling In Between by Devon Ashley Author This or ...
- Young Adult Giveaway Hop!
- Forbidden by Syrie and James and Ryan M. James
- Double Cover Reveal!
- Alienation by Jon S. Lewis
- Giveaway of Michael Palmer's Oath of Office!
- Ditched by Robin Mellom
- Author Contest!
- Chasing Mona Lisa by Tricia Goyer and Mike Yorkey
- Life As I Blow It: Tales Of Love, Life & Sex . . ....
- The Gathering Storm by Robin Bridges
- The Queen's Daughter by Susan Coventry
- The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
- The Wood Queen by Karen Mahoney
- Indigo Awakening by Jordan Dane-Exclusive Excerpt!...
- Cleaning Machine by Gaylord Campbell
- A Five Minute Tour of Modern London: Guest Post by...
- Life Eternal by Yvonne Woon
- Awakening by Karice Bolton
- Stolen Away by Alyxandra Harvey
- Guest Post with Guy Magar
- Various Positions by Martha Schabas
- On A Dark Wing by Jordan Dane
- The Girls of No Return by Erin Saldin
- Ride With Me Free Excerpt! on sale 2/13/2012
- Guest Post with F.A. Hershey and Giveaway! (Intern...
- Where It Began by Ann Redisch Stampler
- Toast to 2012 Giveaway Hop! (USA/CAN)
- The Dirt by Lori Culwell
- The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe
- Face Up Gaming: Free Online Poker http://www.faceu...
- Cover Adoration Jan 12, 2012
- The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rot...
- Young Adult Faeries & Fantasy Hop
- Our Mother's Recipes Guest Post and Giveaway!
- Interview with Author Heather Beck!
- Twisted Fairy Tales Volume II Anthology – Intervie...
- Jailbird by Heather Huffman
- Giveaway of Switched by Amanda Hocking (signed cop...
- Touch of Power (The Healer Series-January 2011) by...
- Happy New Year 2012 Giveaway Hop!
- Joel Andre Guest Post!
- Darkness by Joann I. Martin Sowles
- Ten -- How Would You Rate Your Life? by Terry A Sm...
- Switched by Amanda Hocking
- Dragon's Wood by Janet Lee Carey
- Happy New Year!
- Lifting the Wheel of Karma by Paul H. Magid and 3 ...
- Article 5 by Kristen Simmons
- Lovetorn by Kavita Daswani
- ▼ January (52)