The Summer Invitation by Charlotte Silver
Posted by sailingaway at 9:51 AM Monday, May 12, 2014
Two sisters are summoned to their aunt's Greenwich Village flat, where they must start dressing like young ladies, cultivate their artistic sensibilities, and open themselves up to Life with a capital L.
When Franny and her older sister Valentine are summoned by their Aunt Theodora from foggy San Francisco to sunny New York City for one summer, they are taken to old-world locales like Bemelmans Bar, the Plaza, and the Sherry Netherland by their chaperone, Clover, Aunt Theodora’s protégé. As they discover New York City going lingerie shopping and learning about the simple elegance of a cucumber sandwich, they also begin to unearth secrets and answers about Aunt Theo's glamorous and romantic past, and they have a few romantic adventures of their own.
This book is loaded with New York nostalgia from good descriptions of the key locations to very on point passages about the overall attitude of the gigantic city. While following the sisters around, we discover many things about them and about their chapreone's past. The teens are largely unsupervised and are thus released to explore shopping, adventures, and romance in New York.
I found it interesting that a parent would let their teen daughters go for a summer with a lack of supervision to run around in New York. That being said, most of their exploits in this story are more on the innocent side of big city exploration. This book claims to be aimed at the middle grade audience, however I found that the lengthiness of descriptions may not appeal to girls of this age as it may be hard for them to make a connection. There are definitely charming parts of the book though, and I found it to be overall enjoyable to read.
*Reviewed by Chris*
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews. COPYRIGHT © 2014 LIVE TO READ
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (291)
- ► 2015 (311)
- Deadly Sweet Lies Cover Reveal!
- The Medici Boy by John L'Heureux
- Petals on the Wind: Promo and Giveaway!
- Interview with Imogen Howson!
- Immersed by Jennifer Griffith
- The Mystery of Moutai: Excerpt and Giveaway!
- The Minimum Wage: Excerpt and Giveaway!
- Fat boy Vs. the Cheerleaders by Geoff Herbach
- Mortal Enchantment Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Kindle Countdown May 25-31!
- Now and Forever by Susane Colasanti: Trailer!
- Kids Author Lineup for BEA!
- Fae Cover Reveal
- Brazen by Katherine Longshore
- Adrenaline Crush by Laurie Boyle Crompton
- Second Chances 101: Promo and Giveaway!
- The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness
- Rose and the Lost Princess by Holly Webb: Blog Tou...
- Lies You Wanted To Hear by James Whitfield Thomson...
- Fae by Emily White
- The Paradox of Vertical Flight by Emil Ostrovski: ...
- The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu
- The Summer Invitation by Charlotte Silver
- In Velvet by Burt Weissbourd
- Little Green Men at the Mercury Inn by Greg Leitic...
- Unicorn Thief Tour.........Guest Post and Promo
- I Kill the Mockingbird by Paul Acampora
- The Midnight Library by Damien Graves
- Confessions of the Very First Zombie Slayer: Guest...
- Burn Out by Kristi Helvig: Review and Giveaway!
- The Island of Excess Love by Francesca Lia Block
- The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson
- The Body in the Woods by April Henry
- Monument 14: Savage Drift by Emmy Laybourne
- Moon at Nine: Promo, Review, and Giveaway!
- Broken Hearts, Fences, and Other Things to Mend by...
- Hungry by H.A. Swain
- The Race to Save the Lord God Bird by Phillip M. H...
- The Challenge: Promo!
- ▼ May (39)
- ► 2013 (530)
- ► 2012 (818)