Rome: McCabe and Chip, two American exchange students, are about to become embroiled with a violent street gang, a beautiful Italian girl and a flawed kidnapping plan.Detroit: Sharon Vanelli's affair with Joey Palermo, a Mafia enforcer, is about to be discovered by her husband, Ray, a secret service agent.Brilliantly plotted and shot through with wry humour, All He Saw Was the Girl takes place as these two narratives converge in the backstreets of Italy's oldest city. A thrilling ride, it once again displays Peter Leonard's genius for exploring the wrong turns that life can take.Peter Leonard's growing fan base includes greats such as Carl Hiaasen ('great storytelling') and Michael Connelly ('clever plotting and blood and guts characters'), and publications as diverse as Uncut ('sensational'), the Daily Mirror ('stunning') and the Big Issue ('brilliantly snappy').
Fast paced in Rome: a stolen taxi, a stay at Rabibbia – one of Italy’s toughest prisons, a small-time mobster who looks like Fabio, and two Loyola students studying (and drinking) abroad. The students’ names indicate their life stations. Charles Tallenger III is the son of a U.S. senator and goes by “Chip”. McCabe is just McCabe; tough kid from Detroit, but generally a straightforward student who stops bullying, protects his friends, and catches purse thieves. Then, circumstances cause him to turn small-time mobster himself…and he’s good at it! Leonard alternates between that story line, and then adds another storyline in Detroit with a Secret Service agent, his unhappy wife, and an American mob boss.
The timeline moves smoothly between the American and Italian action. I loved the glimpses of Italy, and when is a story about the mob boring or unpopular? Joey, though, is one unpopular character for me; way too crude – no redeeming qualities. I liked McCabe, Angela, Ray, and Sharon. The dialogue and action is shotgun quick. There’s no down time.
Three and a Half Stars
*Reviewed by Colleen*
Find this book:
Barnes and Noble
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews.
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2016 (371)
- ► 2015 (312)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- Freedom To Read Giveaway Hop!
- Guest Post and Giveaway by Author Lila Munro!
- Passages: How Reading the Bible in a Year Will Cha...
- A Want So Wicked by Suzanne Young
- This Is Not a Test by Courtney Summers
- Hope Springs By: Kim Cash Tate
- The Twelfth Paladin Guest Post and INT Giveaway!
- Dancing Naked In Dixie by Lauren Clark Review and ...
- Terri Giuliano Long - What Is Your View on Authori...
- Moa Excerpt!
- List of Comment Entry Amazon International Giftcar...
- Ties That Bind New Cover!
- Angel Eyes by Shannon Dittemore and Win a Nook Col...
- A Princess Broken by Misty Gatlin
- Ties that Bind By: Heather Huffman Review and Giv...
- Don't Forget About These Awesome Giveaways! (Many...
- PrintRunner Giveaway!
- The Last Refuge by Ben Coes Review and Print Givea...
- Don't You Wish by Roxanne St. Claire
- Skylark by Meagan Spooner
- The 500 by Matthew Quirk
- The Best Way: El Camino de Santiago By: Bill Walke...
- Lucy Come Home by Dave and Neta Jackson
- The Weeping Paperback Cover Reveal!
- Project Moses Guest Post and Book and $10 Amazon G...
- Midsummer's Eve Giveaway Hop!
- Clear Your Shelf Giveaway!
- BEA Giveaway!!!!! *Includes links to my INT giveaw...
- All He Saw Was The Girl by Peter Leonard
- Dancing Naked In Dixie Grand Prize Giveaway!
- Wings of Hope Guest Post and $10 Amazon Giftcard C...
- Dancing Naked In Dixie Review and INT Giveaway!
- Glamorous Illusions by Lisa Tawn Bergren Blog Tour...
- Spell Bound by Kelley Armstrong
- My Father At 100 by Ron Reagan
- The Anniversary Waltz by Darrel Nelson
- Guest Post by Author Lille Spencer!
- The Concubine Saga by Lloyd Lofthouse
- Ascending Into Euphoria by Tiffany Tinney
- Growing Up Ziglar by Julie Ziglar Norman
- Project Moses Free For Kindle!!!
- Salt City by Robert C. Fleet Excerpt and INT Givea...
- Crazy by Amy Reed
- Ferryman & the Flame Giveaway and Book Blast!
- A Gift for My Sister By: Ann Pearlman
- Finish What You Start: Unlocking the Success Secre...
- The Girls’ Ghost Hunting Guide By: Stacey Graham
- Real Mermaids Don't Hold Their Breath by Hélène Bo...
- Faithful Families Giveaway!
- Being Friends With Boys by Terra Elan McVoy
- The Car Thief By: Theodore Weesner
- Such a Rush by Jennifer Echols
- Guest Post by Author Lisa J. Rogers!
- Hope Is Love by Sylvia Hubbard
- Cadence Beach Guest Post and $10 Amazon Giftcard G...
- Reunited Book Blast and Promo!
- Guest Post by Author K. Reed with Awesome Post-Apo...
- How to satisfy your readers with endings by Rebecc...
- The Caves of Etretat by Matt Chatelain: Guest Post...
- Blogoversary Giveaway #2 (International)!
- Shadows Cast By Stars by Catherine Knutsson
- All These Lives by Sarah Wylie
- Reunited Book Blast and Giveaway!
- Speculation by Edmund Jorgensen Review and Giveawa...
- Desires Unleashed Promo
- Backlash by Karyn Good Guest Post and Giveaway! : ...
- Undertow by Callie Kingston Review and Ebook Givea...
- Sirenz Back in Fashion by Charlotte Bennardo, Nata...
- Guest Post by Author Jennifer Fromke
- Dive Into Summer Giveaway!
- Sirenz by Charlotte Bennardo & Natalie Zaman
- After All by Deborah Raney
- Just Flirt by Laura Bowers
- The Master of Misrule (The Game of Triumphs #2) by...
- My Favorite Reads Giveaway!
- Devine Intervention by Martha Brockenbrough
- The Lost Code by Kevin Emerson
- Dyson Giveaway Event!
- ▼ June (80)