Search This Blog

Metaltown by Kristen Simmons

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Metaltown, where factories rule, food is scarce, and hope is in short supply.

The rules of Metaltown are simple: Work hard, keep your head down, and watch your back. You look out for number one, and no one knows that better than Ty. She’s been surviving on the factory line as long as she can remember. But now Ty has Colin. She’s no longer alone; it’s the two of them against the world. That’s something even a town this brutal can’t take away from her. Until it does.

Lena’s future depends on her family’s factory, a beast that demands a ruthless master, and Lena is prepared to be as ruthless as it takes if it means finally proving herself to her father. But when a chance encounter with Colin, a dreamer despite his circumstances, exposes Lena to the consequences of her actions, she’ll risk everything to do what’s right.

In Lena, Ty sees an heiress with a chip on her shoulder. Colin sees something more. In a world of disease and war, tragedy and betrayal, allies and enemies, all three of them must learn that challenging what they thought was true can change all the rules.

An enthralling story of friendship and rebellion, Metaltown will have you believing in the power of hope.

Goodreads Summary

When I first started this book I didn't know what to think. I sometimes find it hard to get into books with more than one character telling the story; however, I enjoyed getting to know Colin, Lena, and Ty better. Colin and his family do not really belong in the factory, but due to circumstances, they are forced to be there. Lena, on the other hand, is wealthy, obnoxious, and very very entitled. Ty was a little rough around the edges and I don't think I would want to be friendly with her in real life, but I understood most of her decisions. When Colin finds himself getting close to Lena, he believes it is an opportunity to get her sympathies and maybe change the current social strata. It definitely doesn't go perfectly, but Lena slowly warms up to the idea of Colin's version of how the world should work. Ty functioned mainly as a caring friend of Colin's. Her story was bleak and sad and I felt terrible for her. 

I wasn't surprised when Colin and Lena end up falling for each other. I was slightly rooting for Colin and Ty to fall in love, but as far as things were concerned on their end, it was strictly platonic. I liked how their relationship was secondary to the social and environmental injustices committed in the book. The author was amazingly inventive and descriptive with the plot. I could literally smell the factory when I was reading the novel. I was horrified by the ending and wish things could have been different. It didn't seem fully realistic especially because the other characters escaped unscathed. 

3 1/2 Stars



This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews. COPYRIGHT © 2014 LIVE TO READ

0 comments: