Search This Blog

For This We Are Soldiers by Carla Kelly

Thursday, October 13, 2016

From master storyteller Carla Kelly comes this collection of frontier tales that take you behind typical army lines and into the hearts of ordinary men and women who perform extraordinary acts of bravery. From handsome hospital stewards and dashing soldiers to courageous children and wives who will pull at your heartstrings, there’s something for everyone’s fancy.

Goodreads Summary

I have to start out my review by admitting that I loved the cover! A cover like this one really draws me in even though I know you're not supposed to pick a book based on the superficial cover. I love frontier tales; with Kelly's writing style and attention to detail, I was able to picture myself in the stories with the characters. Since this book was relatively short, I did not get to see a lot of character development or follow the characters for too long. Although this would have been nice, the stories are meant to be blips in the lives of frontier men/women. 

I liked the emphasis on strong and intelligent women in an era where women were often undervalued. I could tell that Kelly held nothing back from grim realities to what must have been quite a large amount of research into this subject in order to get to this particular level of detail. The book is pleasantly segmented so that the reader can place the book down without stopping at an intriguing scene or cliff hanger. In a nutshell, I really enjoyed this book and will look out for Kelly's next novel!

4 Stars


This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or
reviews. COPYRIGHT © 2014 LIVE TO READ

0 comments: