Without Annette by Jane B Mason
Posted by Krystal Larson at 10:29 PM Thursday, July 21, 2016
A gorgeously written, witty, and poignant YA novel, about a girl who must forge her own path in the wake of a crumbling relationship.
Josie Little has been looking forward to moving halfway across the country to attend Brookwood Academy, a prestigious boarding school, with her girlfriend, Annette, for ages. But underneath Brookwood's picture-perfect image lies a crippling sense of elitism that begins to tear the girls apart from the moment they arrive.
While Josie struggles to navigate her new life, Annette seems to fit in perfectly. Yet that acceptance comes with more than a few strings. And consequently, Annette insists on keeping their relationship a secret.
At first, Josie agrees. But as Annette pushes her further and further away, Josie grows closer to Penn, a boy whose friendship and romantic feelings for her tangle her already-unraveling relationship. When Annette's need for approval sets her on a devastating course for self-destruction, Josie isn't sure she can save her this time -- or if Annette even wants her to try.
I loved the plot of this book without necessarily loving all of the characters. Annette has an abusive mother and Josie wants to "save" her by taking her to a boarding school where they can enjoy the intimate relationship they both have together. Except...none of this happens. Once they get to the boarding school, Annette tries to blend in with the popular girls and largely ignores Josie except when she wants to make out with her. Josie, on the other hand, is left to make friends with Penn (a boy she eventually may have feelings about and who likes her) and Roxanne (her roommate whose anti-establishment beliefs don't necessarily agree with her family).
Josie's character was lovely. I liked how she was protective of her girlfriend. Although I thought she overdid the protective attitude; Annette eventually has to learn to deal with life herself. Josie was smart, determined, and (as the book makes clear) authentic. Roxanne turned out to be a great roommate and fun character with sardonic dialogue. Penn disappointed me. He turned into a great friend and possibly something more (?) in the end, but what occurred in the middle of the book was a huge turn-off. I liked the private school air and austerity throughout the book (attended one myself!). I thought the author wrote beautifully and her prose held my attention the entire novel. Josie truly did develop as a character and as a person. I wish Annette (who really annoyed me) developed like Josie. I felt like she often used Josie and that there wasn't true depth to their relationship.
This product or book may have been distributed for review, this in no way affects my opinions or reviews. COPYRIGHT © 2014 LIVE TO READ
Grab my Button
<div align="center"><a href="http://livetoread-krystal.blogspot.com/" title="Live to Read" target="_blank"><img src="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uvNsi6hvZtM/Tt5G1nXGbsI/AAAAAAAABBI/VJ0J0_3ozg8/s1600/button.jpg" alt="Live to Read" style="border:none;" /></a></div>
http://www.onewaytextlink.com. Powered by Blogger.
- Two Summers by Aimee Friedman
- The Sleeping Prince by Melinda Salisbury
- Nightstruck by Jenna Black
- To Have and To Hold by Lauren Layne: Review and Gi...
- Forget Tomorrow by Pintip Dunn
- Summer in the Invisible City by Juliana Romano
- RANDOM HOUSE CHILDREN’S BOOKS ACQUIRES BESTSELLING...
- Keep Me In Mind by Jaime Reed
- Mabel and the Queen of Dreams by Henry L. Hertz
- Frost by M.P. Kozlowsky
- Like a River From Its Course by Kelli Stuart
- The Glittering Court by Richelle Mead
- The Woman in the Photo by Mary Hogan: Review and G...
- Without Annette by Jane B Mason
- Love On My Mind by Tracey Livesay
- Smash & Grab by Amy Christine Parker
- Julia Vanishes by Catherine Egan: Interview!
- Murder Mezzo Forte by Donn E. Taylor
- Static by Eric Laster
- The Hatching by Ezekiel Boone
- Caraval by Stephanie Garber
- Never Missing Never Found by Amanda Panitch: Givea...
- How It Feels to Fly by Kathryn Holmes
- Flashfall by Jenny Moyer
- Lies I Live By by Lauren Sabel: Review and Giveawa...
- When We Collided by Emery Lord
- Heartless by Marissa Meyer
- And The Trees Crept In by Dawn Kurtagich
- We Know It Was You by Maggie Thrash
- Pete the Cat and His Magic Sunglasses: Review and ...
- Cover Reveal: Disney Princess Dream Big!
- The Fangirl Life by Kathleen Smith: Q&A and Giveaw...
- Kook by Christopher Vick
- Cradle and All by James Patterson
- Driftwood Point by Mariah Stewart
- The Lost and Found by Car Clarke
- AW Teen Summer Reading Challenge!
- Amy Chelsea Stacie Dee by Mary G. Thompson
- Jazz Jennings Named Latest Read Proud Listen Proud...
- Chasing Lady Amelia by Maya Rodale
- Gamescape: Overworld by Emma Trevayne
- FREE 14 Day Trial Is Now Available for the Odyssey...
- Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella: Giveaway and Pr...
- ▼ July (43)
- ► 2015 (312)
- ► 2014 (408)
- ► 2013 (530)
- ► 2012 (818)